Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Oooh right now?.....I am SO craving?.....! ! !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 252 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 18:44:46 BDT
Ivan says:
Just clicked 1p used.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 19:10:02 BDT
pixie says:
good!....with weather like this there'll be plenty of time to cook! Raining still!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 19:11:45 BDT
pixie says:
I've tried loads out of it and completly hooked! The king prawn Dopiaza with mango powder was fab...

Posted on 15 Aug 2013 19:18:17 BDT
Craving plum clafouti since I got some more greengages...but what I will do is just make an egg custard and pour it over plums. That way I can eat it with a little less guilt.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 19:19:26 BDT
pixie says:
Greengages....now there's a flash back!xx

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 19:53:52 BDT
Ivan says:
I don't normally bother with side dishes with curry but I do like Bombay spuds so I will definitely try them.

I wasn't going to order anymore books this month as I have nowhere to put them but I've had four arrive this week already. I was supposed to have a bookcase delivered early this month but now they say early September. I can see myself having to get another one as soon as it arrives.

I also had

Serendip: My Sri Lankan Kitchen

delivered today and the actual book is stunning. It has a dust jacket that opens out to a picture of a tea plantation and also some stitching on it and it also has two ribbon bookmarks in it. There's a lot of vegetarian dishes and recipes for chutneys etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 20:35:00 BDT
pixie says:
That's on my wish list..... I think that might move to the top!......trouble is Ivan it becomes a compulsion! I don't think I have too many vices but cookery books is one! And cooking of course, then there is eating...yeah, suppose I have a few!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 21:58:18 BDT
They don,t seem to have that wonderful flavour anymore, they just taste like plums, I used to adore greengage.xx

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 22:05:29 BDT
pixie says:
And goosgogs......loved rhubarb freshly picked and dunked in the water butt and dipped in the sugar bowl...did I mention I had a bad tum when I was a kid? Lol!xxxx

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 09:11:57 BDT
Bearman says:
Thanks Ori, regardless of beliefs, its always nice to know that you (or your dog) is in someone's thoughts. We started him on a course of steroids yesterday, and it may be my imagination, but he seems happier today and is shaking/scratching his ears less. He is also now on a special diet with fish as the only protein, and only potate and vegetables for carbohydrate (no gluten, rice or any other cereals). We have found a commercial fish based wet food (he can't have dry either!!!), and it is a soft, gelatinous smelly slime (think badly made cheap salmon mousse that has been left out in the sun). It has me gagging when I dish it up, but at least Jasper seems to like it.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 09:14:39 BDT
Bearman says:
I just ordered it too!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 09:42:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Aug 2013 09:47:32 BDT
pixie says:
It's not your usual indian Bearman...she writes "Straight" books too. But if it's taste and lose weight that you are after she's pretty good. Worked for M&S I believe.

Shehzad Husain's Easy Indian Cookery

Balti Cooking

Curry

Fat-free Indian: A Fabulous Collection of Authentic, Delicious No-fat and Low-fat Indian Recipes for Healthy Eating

180 Vegetarian Indian Recipes For Spock...when he returns...

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 12:56:54 BDT
Sounds like Whiskas for dogs, Bear. DH used to treat my beloved cat to a tin a week and it stank twice--going in and coming out! I let him do the litter tray next day, believe me! LOL
I have had a word with the Head Office and will continue to do so. Jasper is a lovely name, btw and one that sticks in my mind.
Expect a miracle.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 14:49:27 BDT
Bearman says:
Thanks Ori - we need a miracle! The b'stard tried to bite this afternoon, and that's after £2000 spent of behavioural psychologists. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and put it partly down to being distressed with his ears, but I think we are just going to have to do something I have desperately wanted to avoid - get a muzzle on him, whenever he goes out, or if someone comes round. We know and accept the risks of a problem dog, but we cannot allow those risks to others (as you know from personal experience). I don't know what I would do if he bit someone else. It really does bear thinking about.

Posted on 16 Aug 2013 17:17:17 BDT
Yes, you must do what you must do. If training is a slow process, you don't want him biting someone and then getting a court order.
I have a neighbour who walks a pitbull (the triangle-headed kind) with no leash and no muzzle. Granted he does it at 6-7 AM but still. I give him a wide berth.

Posted on 17 Aug 2013 10:16:09 BDT
Pitbulls are banned in Portugal, so why do I see so many! I was given a six month old Pitbull x Mastiff a long time ago by somebody who didn't know what they'd got. She was a lovely dog with us, but we never trusted her, never took risks, and she wore a muzzle every time she went out the door, even in the garden. I never let her off the lead, simply because she'd been bred to fight and she'd kill any thing she could catch. When she died ( aged 10) we vowed we'd never keep another dog that showed any tendencies to bite and we'd never have a dog again that wasn't a puppy, so that we would be in full control of how it was trained. We ended up with two Cane Corsos, they were beautifully behaved never growl and rarely bark. The only funny thing is that one was the same colour as the Pitbull and all our neighbours think that they were our Pitbulls puppies, we never told them otherwise. Life was so simple with them as we could take them any where safe in the knowledge they wouldn't fight or bite. Matt died almost a year ago, and poor old Ali is getting very ricketty, so we don't think he'll last much longer. Shan't have anymore, can't afford the vet bills,. and there is no animal insurance in Portugal.

Posted on 17 Aug 2013 11:52:16 BDT
My goodness...the Cane Corso has a reputation as being stubborn, intelligent and therefore "difficult". Just goes to show you doesn't it, each dog is an individual. My cousin had a Staffy and his neighbours were terrified of it, and yet it didn't have an agressive bone in its body. Definitely an indoor dog, lazy as dust. But you should have seen him "track" something on the carpet--had me in stitches every time. I think he was tracking his imagination, mostly.

Posted on 17 Aug 2013 16:23:10 BDT
Staffies are on the dangerous dog list here, mainly because unless they've had a DNA test it's hard to tell them from a Pitbull. I love Staffies, but I know that in the UK people are afraid of them. As with most breeds, it's the people who own them that are the problem not the dog.

Posted on 17 Aug 2013 17:22:22 BDT
Barbara Woodhouse was right: there are no bad dogs unless they've had a bad owner. This includes dogs that are so inbred they have terrible physical or behavioural problems.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2013 09:03:05 BDT
Bearman says:
Things have taken a step in the wrong direction. Jasper bit my step-son on Saturday night. No a savage attack - step-son ate his dinner in front of the telly (on his lap) as there was something he wanted to see on the telly. When he finished, he put his plate on the floor with chicken bones on it (doh!). Jasper decided that this was a good opportunity and went to help himself to the bones. As soon as he saw what was happening, step-son went to pick up the plate and got bitten. It was just a nip with the little front teeth, but it was hard enough to break the skin and marks an escallation in the dogs aggression. We have booked an appointment with the vet to see if they can help, and find out if this increasing problem is linked to his ear problems, and the steroids he is on. I really feel like we are failing this dog and if we dont get him sorted fast......well the consequences could be terrible. We bought him a muzzle yesterday to use whenever he goes for a walk, or if someone comes to the house, and he is constantly fighting to get it off. I feel like I'm torturing the poor dog. At this point I would really like to get my hands on the people he was rescued from.

Posted on 19 Aug 2013 09:34:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Aug 2013 09:35:13 BDT
Bear, one tip. Not when he's just been bitten, perhaps. But when Jasper does something that's not on, take him by the bridge of the nose (the snout), pressing a bit, and say, "No!" quite firmly and a bit loud. This is a dominance gesture that dogs use on each other, to say, "I'm top dog here."
Also avoid stroking him under the chin, which is dog-language to say "You're in charge, not me." They will mouthe or lick the alpha dog's chin in homage.

Jasper obviously has food-related agression issues. They can be helped if not too severe but it's a bad sign. That's one of the things that makes a dog considered "unhomeable" by shelters.

I'm really sorry about this, but maybe now you know what direction to go in. I'll speak to The Boss about it.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2013 15:47:35 BDT
Bearman says:
Hi Ori - its not just around food. He growls if approached in his favourite sleeping spots, or in the car. The problem stems from him never learning how to handle people at the critical time between 8 and 12 weeks of age when he was locked away without contact in someones garage. We originally tried a gun dog trainer who tried to dominate him into submission, but Jasper would not be dominated and his response was increased aggression. We then tried 2 dog psycologists who suggested 1) avoid the situations which make him agressive so that the behaviour does not get ingrained, 2) ignore him unless we call him to us, and not when he initiates interaction and 3) try to de-sensitize him to the situations by small degrees (ie give him treats in/near his bed/car if he isn't growling). He used to growl at us as soon as we gave him his food, but we managed to overcome that by feeding him one spoonful of food at a time and making him work for every spoonful.

Posted on 27 Aug 2013 10:14:53 BDT
Bearman says:
After trying some really good gelato at the weekend, right now I am really craving more. I have been behaving myself for a few weeks, but today the ice cream machine is rattling the cupboard door and crying to be let out, and the Ben and Jerries recipe book is waving at me from the cookery book shelves - and it has been a few months since I last made butter pecan ice cream............

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2013 10:18:25 BDT
Bearman says:
BTW Ori - Jasper is looking like a new dog - he is visibly so much happier, and seeking attention when lately he just wanted to be left alone. I don't know if it is the ear drops, steroids, or new diet, but the improvement is huge.

Posted on 28 Aug 2013 08:51:14 BDT
I am so glad to hear that, Bear! I've had both of you in my pocket since we first spoke about it. I'm sure diet and treatment for the infection help enormously. I was in constant pain for almost 4 years--yep, it makes you aggressive and unpredictable after awhile! Jesus is on the job.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (647 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
mmmm! what's for dinner 7883 30 minutes ago
come dine with me 5 46 minutes ago
Naaners 21 2 hours ago
Fisher Paykel 120 5 2 hours ago
New books! 6611 17 hours ago
Of teas, infusions, and tisanes 47 19 hours ago
Halogen Oven 206 1 day ago
Our neighbours food delivery a few minutes ago 9 2 days ago
Leisure Range Cookers - design fault? 21 2 days ago
recipes... 432 2 days ago
gossip and general chat about all things 214 4 days ago
Food related TV programmes 1625 4 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  252
Initial post:  1 Nov 2012
Latest post:  23 Oct 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions