Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

We'll meat again...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 145 posts in this discussion
Posted on 13 Dec 2012 22:31:36 GMT
I,m a child of the fifties, like a few of us on here I may add. Meat was always on the table in our house and joints of pork, beef and a roast chicken were to be celebrated. We ate poorer cuts most of the time, rolled breast of lamb,mince,sausages,brisket,neck of lamb,stews and casseroles. I expect that meat had been scarce for them and in the fifties people were beginning to feel a bit more affluent. When I was a kid we didn,t even know that " vegetarians " even existed, we all ate beans and pulses to stretch the meat out and we didn,t over consume. We had never heard of the food police and no one told us what we should or should,t eat. People seldom needed to diet because we rarely had enough money to enjoy overeating,anyway, mum just put her girdle on if she started to feel a bit thick around the waist, four children, not fat!!!!. We didn,t have the intensive farming methods that we have now and most of our food was fairly local and probably organic too. Most families had a bit of a veg plot, or at least our Grandads did and shared the bounty so we all benefited. I sound like I,m painting this glorious fairy tale picture, but it,s just what I remember. I think what I,m trying to say is that we never gave it a damn thought
,we ate what was put in front of us and squabbled over the leftovers pleased to have a hot dinner or a bit of cake for tea. The meals we had were filled with pleasure and Christmas dinner and tea were the highlight of our year not filled with angst about should we eat it or not, where did it come from,how was it produced etc etc, we just didn,t have the information available to us. I,ve carried this pleasure in food and eating all through my life and treated good food as a luxury, I suppose you could say ignorance was bliss. It,s a shame that something so necessary to our survival ,health and well being has become such a complex issue in this day and age. Back in the day, people had better things to worry about.xxxxx

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 22:30:55 GMT
wobberoo says:
"...don't know when, but I know we'll meat again some sunny.................................."

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 22:30:27 GMT
Charlie says:
Sam, what you drinking??

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 22:30:15 GMT
I'll try to restrain my natural urge to 'discuss' then... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 22:28:24 GMT
pixie says:
I'd love a gin and tonic Diamond...I finks you lovely!xxxx

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 22:28:07 GMT
Charlie says:
Lol, I'll settle for a hug and a snowball diamond! With a cocktail cherry on a stick? Be a great evening wouldn't it. Think of the food if we all brought a plate!?! I think you're a jolly lovely person, and I don't think you came across remotely badly. Glad you feeling warm and cuddly again tho. I'm the grump this year. Really not in Christmas mode at all, no cake made, no mince pies. Had such a run these last few months I'm finding it hard to get in the spirit of things

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 22:27:43 GMT
pixie says:
Hot... Mr S! not too but enough to notice...did you get the book link? I found this too..

How To Make British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Meals Got some good reviews and a blog.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 22:24:17 GMT
A drink sounds good right about now.

And Diamond... I can honestly say that you don't come across as either a not very nice person or two-faced. Long may you grace this forum. :-)

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 22:23:43 GMT
Stu says:
hi i didnt see this site had opened and had just posted this on the other site about what a great lot of non-arguementetive people you all are and thats great to see as ive had enough of that on other sites think you will enjoy your curry pixie is it warm medium or hot

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 22:04:43 GMT
Oh Charlie, that's really nice of you, if you want, I can give you a kiss under the mistletoe as well as the boys....sometimes I,m afraid I can be a " not very nice person" or a bit two faced if I don,t want to get into an argument and I felt I had been a bit off this week.....expectations of Christmas getting me down I expect, but your post made me feel all warm and cuddly again, get out the cooking sherry, Suzy,pixie,Roo,Sam Bear, fancy a drink with me and Charlie, ask Ori and mrs P and even Stintoto.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 20:41:14 GMT
pixie says:
I can remember eating a little of very good quality meat when I was young. My mum would buy a good sized piece of meat and there would be dripping and cold meat and chips in the week after the sunday roast,
We only had pork in the winter months or should I say cooler. we didn't have a fridge so everything was bought fresh..do I imagine it but did it taste really good?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 20:26:21 GMT
Assuming that this is a reply to my post, I'm not sure which of my questions you've answered.

What truth are you on the side of?

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 19:54:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 19:54:57 GMT
Spock says:
Yes.
It is.
You see, I take neither sides, I take the side of the truth.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 18:16:36 GMT
You see, all capital letters on the internet... less jokey, more shouty/ranty.

What difference is there between killing the animals myself and having others do it for me?
If it's the boasting aspect, then I don't see many doing that. My dad, for example raises turkeys for Christmas. He does everything from egg to oven-ready. It's a skill, and he knows how to do everything properly. It's one of the reasons I'm happier getting our turkey from him because he does do things correctly and humanely. Is that boasting? I don't think so, and I don't think that it would be if it were I doing it myself.
What about a fisherman who exhibits pride in having caught a fish, and tells others about it? Is that boasting?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 17:16:11 GMT
pixie says:
I laughed then...maybe it was more of a childish snigger~!Lol!

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 17:11:19 GMT
Bearman says:
Ori - what a wonderful turn of phrase:

"...eating choices are like sexual choices: do as you like but don't expect others to agree. I don't judge my friends by what they do or don't put in their mouths...."

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 17:08:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 17:09:24 GMT
Spock says:
A joke.

I do have a problem if you do it personally and boast about it.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 17:03:36 GMT
Makro is a cash-and-carry wholesale place for people who work in retail. Pubs, restaurants, shops, like that.

As a longtime user of Vegweb, I know that several younger users (late teens to college age) admitted to having eating disorders. I can see where saying, "Oh I'm a (vegan/vegetarian/whateverian) so I can't eat that" is easier and more socially acceptable than saying "I don't eat much of anything at all."
As far as I'm concerned, eating choices are like sexual choices: do as you like but don't expect others to agree. I don't judge my friends by what they do or don't put in their mouths. I used to be a vegetarian but discovered I had health issues that made it the wrong choice for me. It made me sad, because for some bizarre reason I simply enjoyed being veggie. For me it wasn't about ethics or morals or anything; I just felt happier...but it wasn't doing my health issues any good. I tried to find a nutritionist here who could help me be a vegetarian anyway, as I know there are nutritionists in the UK, US and Canada that support a vegetarian life choice, but the ones here certainly do not. Doctors here aren't very good at explaining "why" anyway. A lot of people had trouble with the idea that I don't have a moral-ethical stance, but I just know good food when I taste it.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:59:10 GMT
So, the accusations of murder were...?

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 16:56:55 GMT
Spock says:
I never condemned it.

While I am not happy about it, I can understand why people eat meat, whether it be for taste, health, or habit.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:31:28 GMT
This thread wasn't directed at any one person.

And "more times" implies that you've discussed it once.

I'm interested in how someone can justify eating certain animals while condemning the consumption of others. That's not an unreasonable topic of discussion.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 16:28:36 GMT
Bearman says:
What's a Makro card?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:27:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 16:28:27 GMT
pixie says:
I see Spock...Sam is really intersested as we are and started this thread so we could discuss the topic better...we mean no offence. Ok?
I have a Makro card and I agree the bargains are really good..I buy my cheese there...bag it up and freeze it. Saves plenty!

Edit...no need to be defensive with us, we are a good bunch!x

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 16:16:01 GMT
Spock says:
It's just Sam keeps making the point of me not talking about my personal choices.

I have already posted my easy fondue, and am deciding what to post next.
Just a quick tip, if any of you are able, get a makro card, their prices are great, it is in bulk, and the food is good, but be careful, sometimes it is more expensive.

Any questions about products, just ask.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:12:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 16:12:10 GMT
pixie says:
Spock...don't you like posting on here? We seem to be getting your goat for some reason, is there a problem?
Why don't you join in and tell us what YOU like to eat, a few recipes would be good.
What do you thnk? We aren't argumentative on here...there is enough of that elsewhere.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (642 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recipes... 415 32 minutes ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 7610 33 minutes ago
New books! 6492 1 hour ago
gossip and general chat about all things 165 1 day ago
Red Rice 9 4 days ago
Grape molasses 28 4 days ago
Where can I buy bilberries in the UK? 149 4 days ago
electric soup maker 152 5 days ago
I want to pass on a tip... 849 5 days ago
Thermomix..... anyone else got one? 372 6 days ago
Should People Worship Stintoto Trebostine ? 23 9 days ago
Another bread question 33 10 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  13 Dec 2012
Latest post:  21 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions