Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Halogen Oven

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 195 posts in this discussion
Posted on 24 Apr 2012 23:53:39 BDT
does an halogen oven fan stay on all the way through cooking.i have only used it twice the first time i cooked chicken this was fine but today i tried to cook a pie and it was not cooking atall.the light kept going on and off but every few seconds pie still not cooked after an hour and a half.any suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 09:30:31 BDT
pixie says:
Hi Ms C,
That's how a halogen oven works, the light goes on and off as the oven reaches the correct temp. Nothing wrong there, did you have the oven at the correct temp for your pie? Try something else in there and if it doesn't cook send it back. Light going on and off is how it works though. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 03:21:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 May 2012 03:31:28 BDT
Henrietta says:
Probably wrapping them in foil. Try greaseproof paper next time.

Lots of halogen oven recipe books on that auction site

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 03:27:19 BDT
Henrietta says:
You'd be stuck in the UK if the light went or the bowl broke. Spare parts are not available. Having said that I love my tabletop halogen oven. I got mine from Ideal World but that company tends to have a little difficulty with the term "service" in the phrase "Customer service"

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 03:30:06 BDT
Henrietta says:
Thermostat set too low. Light is supposed to go on and off - that's how it controls the heat. fan continues through

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 05:52:37 BDT
Rachal says:
Sealing the meat locks in the moisture to prevent the meat from drying out. I have tried it both ways in a slow cooker and find browning better for 'quicker' dishes. When making a casserole I just throw it in and cook it for longer. Saves the messing about and extra dishes - no difference in quality.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 09:37:24 BDT
Dear Mrs. Gillian E. Newton
To get more use from your cookbook why photocopy it and distribute copies to your friends and family.
Ernie (the other not so fast) Milkman

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 19:04:38 BDT
Hi ,
I had the same problem ,which was landed in my lap as my brother bought a 12 ltr halogen ----I googled for a cookbook and found one which you can download as pdf gives you timings was are important and some good recipes 18 pages .
hope you find this helpful ,and you find the site .
good luck
whsmith has some cook books if you want to buy ---even e-bay has some cook books for Halogen

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 21:35:55 BDT
Lazy Kipper says:
I have never managed yorkshire puddings in the halogen, despite my recipee book promising me I can.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 22:01:50 BDT
Lazy Kipper says:
The oven cuts off when it gets to heat, but restarts when the temperature drops again (this is what the light going on and off is telling you). I thought the same as you at first, and that there was something wrong with the cooker, but I was mistaken.

However, for your pie not to be cooked after that length of time is more worrying - perhaps you are unlucky and have a duff one.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 22:02:51 BDT
Lazy Kipper says:
I'd agree with you on this matter, Rachel.

Posted on 10 May 2012 13:54:03 BDT
pippin says:
Can you put food such as chilli or spag bog sauces directly into the large glass bowl or do you have to cook all wet foods veg casserolle etc in other receptacles inside the big one
very gratefull for any help yours pippin

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2012 14:03:08 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 10 May 2012 14:34:44 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2012 14:11:21 BDT
pippin says:
thanks for advice im off to fill mine now thought maybe it wasnt to be done all recipes seen to say add to bowl before putting in but with this family I need big space thankyou again

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2012 14:34:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 May 2012 15:28:24 BDT
pixie says:
Pippin the only thing is keep an eye on it incase the fan action whips liquid up, maybe then you'll have to put it in a covered dish, I've looked in a couple of books I have and most have chicken etc in the bowl. Just be careful.
Sorry Pippin, I meant to edit the above and deleted instead, I hope your dish is delicious!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2012 14:37:13 BDT
P. Bennett says:
You might care to Google this forum : http://halogenovenrecipes.forumotion.com/. It is a super site with loads of recipes and everyone willing to help each other with information and advice. It deals specifically with actually using a halogen oven in all it's aspects rather than and certainly is far more informative than this site (although the few questions and answers here are very useful). The subjects covered are enormous from people asking advice as to what cooker to go for, through to cooking full meals and making bread. There is also a professional chef who gives advice and tried and tested recipes. It doesn't cost anything to join and everyone on the site seems to be very friendly. A word of warning though - don't go onto the site unless you have time to spend because it is almost adictive, it is so interesting!! ;-) Happy cooking,

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2012 16:46:44 BDT
witchbeader says:
good grief, all she wanted was a cook book !!!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2012 17:10:04 BDT
P. Bennett says:
I think that comment says more about you than it does about me.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 17:21:45 BDT
pixie says:
My Halogen packed up today...Boo! Had it for ages so can't complain. Good news is I bought another one a few weeks ago and stashed it in the loft, got it in a sale and was a bargain. Yippee!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 18:33:51 BDT
Ruth_G says:
Use it as you would a normal oven. I use the halogen more than my normal cooker...it's amazing.

Posted on 13 May 2012 20:16:44 BDT
Okay, I'm ignorant - what exactly is a Halogen?

Posted on 13 May 2012 20:51:42 BDT
Avcraig says:
Thanks for that advice about the halgon oven recipes . P.Bennet, will most certainly look into it. Ann. new Zealand

Posted on 13 May 2012 20:52:03 BDT
Avcraig says:
Thanks for that advice about the halgon oven recipes . P.Bennet, will most certainly look into it. Ann. new Zealand

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 09:35:42 BDT
pixie says:
Andrew James 12 LTR Premium Halogen Oven Cooker + FREE Easily Replaceable Spare Bulb + 2 YEAR WARRANTY + FREE 128 page Recipe Book - Complete with Extender Ring (Up to 17 Litres) Lid Holder, Baking Tray, Steamer Tray, Skewers, Low and High Rackssuzy, it's a thing of beauty!
This is just one of the models, cooks chicken and joints to perfection. Dosen't heat up the kitchen and is very economical on electricity. A great boon when it's scorchio and I have to turn the oven off in the summer. I have the JML one. I've lent it to neighbours when their oil hasn't been delivered on time ( we've all done that at some point) No gas in the village, one stagecoach a week to the big metropolis Bath, you get the picture! Wouldn't be without one, a halogen oven that is, not a stagecoach! x

Posted on 14 May 2012 10:54:21 BDT
Ohhhhh, yes I see!
Could have googled it I suppose but forgot! - Was trying to follow all the glass bowl advice, and getting very confused, as I was wondering why you would have one fitted in a standard kind of oven? - but now I get it, thanks Pixie!

Very neat and compact too! Our kitchen is only 8ft by 9ft so it might be a useful addition.

I can't reach into my Baby Bell easily these days and I need help with the joints now mine have given up. The dogs have caught on fast, they come racing in and wait hopefully for me to drop things! Greedy little horrors! This might help resolve the current chicken-wrestling chaos!!! Although that bowl must surely be very heavy and so is it difficult to wash? x
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (627 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
aaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! 1271 2 minutes ago
I want to pass on a tip... 812 1 hour ago
For those of us that would like to lose some weight 2153 1 hour ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 6800 1 day ago
Two small burners and a grill 3 1 day ago
What is/was "milk food"?? 15 2 days ago
Actifry sweet potato fries 5 2 days ago
Tablet for Kitchen 2 2 days ago
Amateur Chef Magazine 12 2 days ago
Funny thing......... 40 4 days ago
New books! 6007 4 days ago
Cupcakes - paper case problems! 124 5 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0xa72308ac)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  195
Initial post:  10 Sep 2010
Latest post:  31 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions