Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

best butter or margrine to bake with

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 105 posts in this discussion
Posted on 21 May 2012 10:26:17 BDT
Hi Ian,
Was it block or tub? x

Posted on 22 May 2012 10:48:51 BDT
Great advice and definitely plan to start using Stork Margarine in future. Now I'm going to be really cheeky and ask if anyone has a foolproof recipe for victoria sponge and can that same recipe be used for cupcakes? Thank you in advance ladies - and gents of course!! Also any Gluten Free recipes most welcome to help make a really nice cake for my daughter who has coeliac disease. Also have a baby grandson who has Milk and Soya intollerance - nightmare as so many products contain these. Hard telling a 2 year old he can't have the same things to eat as his 5 year old sister................Thank you for reading and look forward to your advice.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 22:52:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2012 23:04:05 BDT
Henrietta says:
VICTORIA SANDWICH/SPONGE
4ozs butter or margarine at room temperature
4ozs caster sugar
4ozs self raising flour with 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
2 eggs

Turn on oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and base line a 7" tin (do I look like a woman who knows what that is in cms - look it up on Google)

Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl then add the other ingredients and beat with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until the mixture is pale and fluffy in texture. The mixture should flop off an upturned spoon - if it doesn't it will need a few drops of milk to loosen it up. Turn mixture into tin, level the top and cook in the centre of the oven for approx 20 minutes (I cannot be responsible for the vagaries of your oven's thermostat so the acid test is to run a warm metal skewer or metal knitting needle into the centre. If it comes out clean the cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow a few minutes in the tin to stablise then turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to become fully cold before splitting and filling with jam, cream, butter cream or whatever.

If you can't work in ozs or you want a different size of cake weigh your eggs in the shell and use an equal weight of each of the other ingredients, adjusting the baking powder accordingly. For example a 4 egg mixture will make one 8 inch/20 cm deep cake. Some people advise cooking in two tins so a 4 egg mixture would be cooked in two 7inch tins.

This isn't the classic way of making a Vic sponge but it's quick and always works and if it's good enough for Delia Smith and Mary Berry, it's good enough for me! Yes, it can be used for cupcakes and it can be flavoured with all sorts - eg vanilla, cocoa or coffee and filled with jam, marmalade, ginger preserve, with or without whipped cream of butter cream (butter cream is one of the instances when you MUST use butter - it's vile made with any sort of margarine), or you can use cream and fruit such as raspberries, fresh peach, kiwi fruit or whatever you like.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 26 May 2012 06:51:20 BDT
pete gumm says:
i use butter for pastry and biscuits, and supermarket own brand "best for cakes" for everything else xx

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 09:16:09 BDT
Thank you very much Henrietta. Can't wait to try it and will let you know the results after the weekend. Sounds delicious!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 09:17:02 BDT
Thank you for taking the time to reply Pete - very much appreciated..............xx

Posted on 27 May 2012 19:49:14 BDT
I use Land O' Lakes butter. I use unsalted for some of my bakery recipes and salted for some of my other bakery recipes. I have used Amish butter. My grandma made butter when I was younger. It was so creamy and good. I've tried using margarine in my banana bread, but the texture and taste aren't as good. I have the butter in all of my recipes in my mini-cookbooks, entitled CookingwithT. I don't want to put a recipe out there that's not the best. I do know that humidity affects certain recipes, like peanut or cashew brittle, as well as some fudge.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 21:50:32 BDT
Hi
I always use cant believe its not butter for all my cakes, has not failed me yet although im going to try stork(which alot of you recommend) as its alot cheaper!!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2012 19:28:31 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Jun 2012 21:25:36 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2012 20:07:08 BDT
Henrietta says:
Probably a "trained confectioner" was "never ever allowed to use butter" because of the expense rather than quality or taste of the finished article and in that case I would question not only the quality of the finished results but also the quality of the "trained confectioner's" training. The French, Austrians and Germans seem to be able to cope with butter for their cakes without difficulty.

No "trained confectioner" or domestic cook worth his or her salt would ever bake with salted butter.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2012 14:15:05 BDT
well said!!!

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 15:56:29 BDT
What is there to debate about? Without question Stintoto Trebostine Salted Butter as used and recommended by the Michelin starred chef Colin Crompton.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2012 11:57:11 BDT
I always use STORK margarine and my mother before me makes perfect cakes n pastries everytime

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 12:45:24 BDT
i always use block stork margarine for my baking with good results

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 13:09:55 BDT
lard is great for pastry, butter for cakes and margerine/stork/spread is best in the bin...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 17:41:00 BDT
Henrietta says:
Just to throw the cat among the pigeons and to widen the argument. I have a friend who insists that the best and only way to cook chips is in beef dripping!

(Can't say I've tried it because I don't often eat chips as they don't agree with me.)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 23:12:37 BDT
That is what my Dad used to cook chips in and my husband always said he had never tasted chips like them. I don't like chips either so didn't ever try them. My Dad said that it added flavour to the chips and was the only thing to cook them in.

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 19:57:02 BDT
ginagiraffe says:
I use butter for all my cakes - just soften in the microwave for a few seconds but have also used flora liquid with good results

Posted on 17 Jun 2012 13:12:00 BDT
Jago says:
The German discounter A* also sells an excellent olive spread - closest taste to unsalted butter that I've found and at half the price. Gives good results in cakes and scones - I haven't tried it in pastry. Produces perfectly acceptable buttercream filling taste-wise but too soft. And I don't have to keep separate stuff for spreading and baking.

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 09:37:01 BDT
D. H says:
Can I just say. it all comes down to taste, preference and cost!
Not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth, so doesn't have the pallet of Michelin quality.

Quite frankly I would certainly say just because they are a professional doesn't necessarily make their food taste any better to an individual than yours or mine! in fact it's true to say I went to a coffee house "S" not so long back and had the most vile tasteless chocolate chip cookie I have ever tasted! Cooked by a professional? who knows.

I am a home baker who was taught to bake from a very early age by Grandparents (one whose knowledge came from generations of bakeries), My Aunt (a retired home economics teacher who taught me to follow a recipe.) and my mother who like my grandparents has never measured ingredients in her life and it always comes out perfect. I can and do bake both ways by sight and by recipe. My Grandma only bakes with unsalted butter it's all her family knew and she bless her has never strayed though she has never detected the taste difference in my baking when I have used soft spread/ Marge (but Grandma lovingly knows best at all times so we don't say unless she asked for the recipe). so is definitely an advocate for butter, My mother like me uses what she can afford at the time. My aunt always uses marge (sorry, spread!)
The differences butter v spread: (my opinion)
Butter = Animal fat (fat off the milk)! more of a solid texture needs to be at room temperature to bake cakes with
Marge = Blended oil and fats (pretty sure its vegetable fat) I have found this at room temp is a lot softer than butter at room temp so does need to be straight from the fridge to get the same consistency leaves the cake more moist. and the cake does stay moist longer, but not one I'd use for a delicate non flavoured sponge like victoria.
(butter is not a rising agent, so shouldn't effect the height of your cake...eggs, baking powder and soda are rising agents that do affect the height of your cakes) tricks to baking with marge add an extra egg, a little more salt, wisk egg whites seperately add a little of the sugar to the whites and fold in to the batter, add extracts or other flavouings such as bailys. just play.

Don't be swayed by food snobs!!! and as for health benefits: My grandmother lived through times where "Smoking was good for you" "Drink Guinness whilst pregnant" "Eat liver"
I've lived through : Don't eat eggs! Don't eat british beef' "Take your vitamins every day" Don't eat chickens oh and hears my favourite Breast milk is not the best choice for your baby! There are always going to be people, governments, scientists who believe they've got the answer. the only FOOD rule handed down by generations that I adhere to is:
HOME MADE IS ALWAYS THE BEST!
Happy baking x

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 13:10:16 BDT
Ann Onymous says:
Like many others here I have always used Stork for my baking, both in pastry (block Stork + Cookeen) and cakes (tub) and never had any complaints. This is most likely because my Mum always uses it, probably because it was more affordable and is what we were taught to use in Home Economics - from what I remember, recipes always stated marg rather than butter and pastry was always marg/lard. Therefore, could it be a generational thing? My Mum's shortcrust pastry is probably one of the best I've had because it is so light, crumbly and non-greasy and my cakes always come out light as a feather; I use Mary Berry's 'all in one' method - simple with excellent results every time! I actually find cakes/pastry made with butter slightly too rich/greasy for my liking, but each to their own. The one time I would definitely use butter over Stork is in shortbread where I feel it would just be wrong not to and which I have yet to make, so anyone with a recipe they would like to post, it would be very much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 17:23:55 BDT
Stork margarine is fine for every day cakes, butter is essential for heavy fruit cakes that you are not going to eat immediately, Sticks of butter as in USA cookery books means I think butter.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 17:47:44 BDT
Melness says:
JM Saunders - yes, if US cookbook calls for a 'stick of butter' it means 4 ounces of butter.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 21:46:12 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Jun 2012 21:46:31 BDT]

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 22:49:24 BDT
And butter doesn't ? Get real !
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (661 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
New books! 6834 5 hours ago
Christmas Vodka 3 14 hours ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 8436 1 day ago
Gourmet Kitchenware 20 1 day ago
Leisure Range Cookers - design fault? 22 2 days ago
Halogen Oven 232 4 days ago
Frying pans 19 5 days ago
Carving Roast Duck 14 5 days ago
Which steam cleaner for oven 102 5 days ago
Make ahead cold canapes 20 6 days ago
What was the last food you bought out of curiousity? 125 8 days ago
gossip and general chat about all things 332 9 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  105
Initial post:  18 Sep 2010
Latest post:  30 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions