Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

mmmm! what's for dinner

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7676-7700 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2013 12:33:16 GMT
Scarlet Lady says:
Hope the Stu is ok. Lovely guy...

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 22:03:45 GMT
No Stu today, where are you, hot stuff.....what,s for dinner tonight.xxxx

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 18:34:52 GMT
happy says:
I usually think that by the middle of March Ori, that winter is over, but not this year. It was warm this afternoon, but there was a thick frost first thing. Hope it warms up soon, we're down to the end of the logs. Got some more outside ( bits and bobs) but they all got soaked. I thought they were covered but obviously not well enough.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 12:55:37 GMT
Not very warm today in Spain though. They say it'll rain again by Sunday. This is the rainiest March I remember in 31 years living here. It's COLD today. Everyone has colds and flu because it warmed up last week a few days and people went "huzzah!" and put away their warm clothes.

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 12:35:23 GMT
Oh isn't imagination a wonderful thing

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 10:38:50 GMT
D. H says:
Yup that's definitely not me hahaha but am waving back from a deteriorating concrete jungle fondly known as a city.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 10:05:48 GMT
OK - I wave to you - I am up on the terrace that goes around the grounds of the Hotel - they own the gardens and I am sat there with a Ristretto - and a few biscuits - brought to me by a dark and handsome waiter - mind - that might not be you down there in the gardens I am in Palermo

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 09:40:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Mar 2013 09:42:44 GMT
D. H says:
Oh.. to be warm right now... I have a dreamy picture in my head now of sunshine, orange groves, grape vines and masses of fruit trees and greenery. (you can tell I've never been right! lol) I'd love to live in leon or paris or THE Hamptons (not the british ones lol)

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 09:35:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Mar 2013 09:36:30 GMT
Ori is in Spain - where the rain falls mainly on the plain - I think I got it Correctly
Frequently the "studies" come across as unauthenticated opinion

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 09:28:35 GMT
D. H says:
Oh so you live in Europe Ori? Where abouts?

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 08:48:42 GMT
pixie says:
My Dad had two boiled eggs every day for breakfast without fail...when the "Studies" came out that they were bad for us and we shouldn't eat too many he said "Oh Really" then carried on with his two eggs for breakfast....those "Oldies" know a thing or two!Lol!xx

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 07:56:20 GMT
Listeria. That was the egg thing. Listeriosis. That was about the time I stopped buying UK women's mags in the 90s (like Women's Own etc) because every issue suddenly had huge, brightly coloured headlines: "Shock Horror! (and I quote) What we're eating could kill us" etc. America is dominated by The Studies. "Studies have shown..." No one ever says who financed the study, how large the sample was, how long it went on, what cross-section of society participated, etc. When it's really dodgy, it's "a European study." Which, btw, you never find if you actually live here. I think 90% of statistics are made up on the spot, particularly relating to food.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2013 23:44:37 GMT
Yes indeed - to be smart and self aware - very important the kids are our future

Posted on 13 Mar 2013 23:04:46 GMT
D. H says:
Ps. by saying do what makes you happy etc.. I do mean legally and don't promote smoking or drinking or anything that is medically frowned upon whilst pregnant or in front of children! just to clarify. just read how that could have been taken. Be healthy be smart and enjoy all in moderation is what im saying. xx night

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2013 22:31:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2013 22:32:32 GMT
Yes DH - our little Jewel is correct in what she says - the trouble is that - being that much older I can remember way way back before the onset of Bovine Encephalopathy there was a Pig complaint - related to swine fever - then in other parts of the world - Scrapie - that's for sheep - oh and do you remember Edwina Currie and how she declared it was unwise to eat eggs because of something-or-other.
This is a continuation of DH's post - lookit Kids - if we followed onto all of the advice we get including GM food - we would be dead - all of us in a few weeks - because there would be nothing much to eat - or drink - because they put stuff like fluorine in the water
**in the manner of Elmer Fudd** Patti is twying to declare her hatwed of all da cwap that people speak - on food**
It it Patti's honest and never humble opinion that we are a very healthy bunch of folk - and self styled critics of our food are to be in general avoided - Rant over - off to bed now - I hope I have pointed out how daft some of our "advisors" are
P.S. Love you guys to pieces

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2013 20:19:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2013 20:22:34 GMT
D. H says:
Agree with you 100% Diamond. There will always be scapegoats and pathetic excuses: *I'm obese because...My Kids are obese because.... the nation is dying through ill health caused by obesity because...we are all living longer so our pensionable age is being put up by x amount of years because..., don't eat fat, don't eat eggs, drink guiness when you are pregnant, Don't drink alcohol when you are pregnant. Eat liver, don't eat liver, we need red meat, red meats are bad for you, yadda yadda yadda*. Do what makes you happy, eat what makes you happy. There is only one sure outcome in life and that is death what's the point in being miserable?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2013 20:00:59 GMT
I don,t believe that any food is really fattening or really bad for you, it just far too much of that food which is bad for you. If you read as much about food and nutrition as I have you soon realise that the " experts" change their minds all the time. The food that is good for you today will kill you tomorrow.. Aka,salt,saturated fat, seed and nut oils, eggs, artificial sweeteners the list is endless. They have now decided that there is no connection between saturated fats and raised cholesterol, or between cholesterol and heart disease. That glucose fructose sweeteners are not metabolised by the body and cause obesity, so be careful of the agave syrup because it is basically fructose, help us through the minefield. I,m just going to carry on with my more moderate approach and keep watching the amounts of food I eat.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2013 19:45:49 GMT
I find that Pixie, I hang onto a book for years, nostalgia as you say, then I look at it and find it is so dated and the recipes so irrelevant to my eating today that it no longer gives me a buzz....so if it isn,t a classic, out it goes to make room for something new and exciting. I have to say that I have never bought so many new books as I have since being on this forum though.xxxx

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2013 18:58:40 GMT
If it is non-fattening food you want - what about cutting out the illustration and serving it on lightly buttered toast - that would not make you fat
I still use butter in cooking - cream too - I have reason to believe that this goes back to the Years of Austerity relating to the 1939-45 conflict -
We had darned little then - but we can have some now - and in my Chinese Horoscope I am a Piggy - and we can be tough - but also self indulgent and very averse to Austerity in any form - I am a Scorpio Pig - that makes me resilient - and a tough and determined Porker indeed

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2013 18:00:03 GMT
pixie says:
It is amazing how much food has moved on....Carrier used a lot of fat! I have a book of his and I think I am hanging on to it for nostalgia sake. We cook a lot lighter now and don't tend to have heavy sauces with the food...Think it might be a plan to go through some of my books and copy the recipes I'd still use and then recycle the book!xx

Posted on 13 Mar 2013 17:13:18 GMT
happy says:
I decided it was time I went through all my old cookery books and sorted some recipes out from them. I've got some books I never look at, and lots which have book marks for recipes I use regularly., while never looking at the others. I decided to start by trawling through the Carrier kitchen bit part, which ended up as nine volumes after a couple of years. Every recipe has a photo and it's well presented, BUT it finished in 1981 and the recipes for the most part are dull. It talks about new foods, but they are all common place now. There's not much in the way of herb or spice use either. The other downside is that the recipes have no overview, if you know what I mean. Modern books give the name of the dish then tell you about it, but these are just a list of ingredients so I don't feel inspired. I picked out a good few, but I think they'll all need a tweak, not to mention a huge reduction in the fat content!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 11:28:32 GMT
I must admit to a fondness for kitchenalia, but I have an aversion to clutter so I don,t buy these days, I end up giving it away or throwing it out, then I have regrets. The two don,t sit well together and with all the books I have I,m in danger of being buried alive as it is.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 11:24:26 GMT
No Pix, just went for a gander, this one was antiques and collectible s but was not very exciting, the dross some people enter for sale !! There is a. Ig auction house at Towcester, I might get OH to go there with me one day.

Posted on 12 Mar 2013 10:40:39 GMT
They used to have the occasional Car Boot Sale in a piece of Parkland near where I live - but you do not see anyone there lately - probably too cold - but I think I might treat myself to a good look round - if they come back
Same as you J C G - I love auctions and stuff - I also have a book case in my Kitchen just for the cook books

Posted on 12 Mar 2013 10:27:52 GMT
I collect Kitchenalia and have spent the last week cleaning it,I now regret buying it !
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (708 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  67
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  2 Jun 2012
Latest post:  25 Jun 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions