Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

mmmm! what's for dinner

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7651-7675 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 27 Aug 2014 16:14:12 BDT
That was the dish that made Mr Blumenthal famous, Patty my sweet.
I can proudly state that I've never eaten a snail, in a city which is famous (notorious?) for stewed snails. Unlike French escargots in every way. DH says he used to eat them but one fine day he just took a scunner at em. He didn't get sick or anything--just suddenly took a dislike to them. Apparently, from what I'm told, the broth is the best bit, and anyway they are cooked with so many spices (they sell a "snail spices" blend) that you could probably use beef or pork and make a spicy stew and call it square. In fact, that gives me an idea.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2014 20:49:43 BDT
Ooh arrrr, pixie has spoke!!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2014 20:51:08 BDT
pixie says:
He still loves me though Diamond......he knows I can get upperty!xx

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2014 20:54:26 BDT
I,m with you Bear, I love to visit a fancy smancey restaurant, have only managed le Manoir and Rick Steins but I absolutely loved every minute. Not to mention all those handsome young waiter hovering over me waiting to attend to my every need, well almost !!!!. But no way do I have any desire to emulate the food in my own home. A recipe for disaster, especially if I were entertaining, I,d get too panicky.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2014 22:46:47 BDT
Hon No2 Daughter was one of the group of customers who suffered from the food poisoning there. It was a special day out too.

However she has been back since, the free meal in compensation was much better.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 08:06:39 BDT
pixie says:
Blimey R F...once would be enough for me! I had a bad time at a local place...he offered me a free "have anything you want and wine" No thanks!

Posted on 28 Aug 2014 08:45:09 BDT
pixie says:
Cooking an oldie but a goodie tonight...

[ JAMIE'S DINNERS BY OLIVER, JAMIE](AUTHOR)HARDBACK Rigatoni with sweet tomatoes, aubergine and mozzarella...got all the ingredients lurking in the fridge to be used up. Don't you just love aubergines?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 09:12:57 BDT
I have only ever converted them into Imam Bayildi - I need to look for something different there are recipes in Greek Cooking for them

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 09:47:12 BDT
Bearman says:
Pixie - I told you before, I'm not interested. I'm already taken. You will just have to get over me - yes I know its tough, and you are only human. It's natural to crave my fabulous sinewy body (sorry I can't carry on typing - that last line was just too silly and I'm laughing at myself)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 10:02:04 BDT
Bearman says:
Thanks Diamond! One of the best restaurants that I have ever eaten in was in Lisbon - a place called Eleven (http://www.restauranteleven.com/eleven/?lang=en). It was about 10 years ago so I don't know if it is still as good. I was at a conference and managed to get in with the sales team who took a bunch of surgeons there in an attempt to impress them. The views were spectacular, the food awesome, the service was impeccable (with one proviso). Even the loos were amazing (worth a visit just to use them), but Oh My God was the place pretentious! There were about 10 waiters to serve 20 of us. They insisted on explaining ever dish (and the numerous amuse bouches) in pompous theatrical detail before we were allowed to eat it. This is were the proviso comes in. 20 diners who were a mixture of salesmen and surgeons. At any one time there was at least 2 or 3 people on mobile phones. The waiters would not put the food down, until everyone was quiet and waiting expectedly for their dish description recital. The result was that the meal took hours! But even with all this pomposity and delays, it was still one of my all time best meals.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 10:48:44 BDT
Sinewy?? Do you mean tough and stringy like an old goat........??

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 10:58:40 BDT
Rick steins place is very family oriented, busy and bustling and very friendly and welcoming, but the food was plentiful and really tasty. Le manoir is much more formal in setting and style but from the minute you stepped into the gardens people were friendly and courteous. The food was delightful, cheffy of course, but that is part of the pleasure. Waiters were very knowledgeable, but discreet and the sommelier pointed us towards wine that was very good but affordable for us. You will always get. The pompous twits in a place like that, but it was not encouraged. I,ve been about three times now thanks to a birthday gift for my 60th. and sharing birthday celebrations with friends and as much as I enjoyed it I will probably not go again. We went for lunch, by the way...dinner is astronomical.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 11:28:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Aug 2014 11:30:13 BDT
I do, I do! Caponata (cold aubergine salad with capers), imam bayildi, baba ganoush, or that wonderful aubergine and yogurt salad thing in Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks. It's in just about every one of hers, I think it must be hugely popular.
Also Chopska, which is a Bulgarian summer salad. You grill aubergine and red and green peppers, then peel the peppers and chop everything. Add some minced garlic, dress with oil and lemon. Delicious!

Posted on 28 Aug 2014 11:32:49 BDT
HOT day. We went out early to buy some trews for DH, on the way back we stopped at the fishmonger. She gave me the tail, fins and bone of a grouper (quite large!) so I got some of her big clams and a few shrimps for more soup! Currently boiling up the bones with some kelp to make the broth, then will toss in the shellfish. I'm trying the technique of boiling the kelp in the broth for a full hour first.

Posted on 28 Aug 2014 12:11:52 BDT
Dinner is Astronomical - oh Diamond my dear - you get to sit at a picture Window on Full moon night I would buy that -

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 12:16:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Aug 2014 12:17:03 BDT
Diamond Diamond I rede ye beware - Goats are most naughty
you must take care - Carry thou Goat Weed at least half a
can - Goats are most stringy but no less the MAN

My comments in the "Craft" must be set in rhyme -
or they do not work properly - Watch "Charmed"
I think Bear man watches them - they are "Something ekse"

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 12:17:48 BDT
Bearman says:
I could make a goat joke involving horns, but common decency prevents me.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 12:47:33 BDT
"Eleven"

One of the best restaurants we've eaten in is the Seven restaurant in Ironbridge, and no pomposity. If I've mentioned it before, I'm happy to be repeating this because it is worth it.

We like going for Sunday lunch. There is only the one sitting and you need to be there on time. Not too many covers in quite an intimate place and so the service is superb. It has one of those menus that changes all the time, and yet when you look at it you want to eat all the items on it and it takes forever to decide which. And then the desserts, all heaven, and they have been sensible because the last on the list is usually a combination of little bit of all the previous offerings!

We tend to treat ourselves by eating there most times we visit Hon No1 Daughter living in nearby Bridgnorth.

http://www.restaurantseven.co.uk/

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 12:55:36 BDT
We're already booked up for lunch at Le Manoir for SIL's 50th birthday next year. SIL is by far the best cook of the six of us, and he has been looking forward to this for some time! There was going to be visit there for a significant wedding anniversary not so long ago but things happened to scupper that.

Posted on 28 Aug 2014 15:12:47 BDT
I think you will really enjoy it. It is well worth a visit to look around the gardens too, they grow all their own veg and have an army of Gardeners who will answer any questions you may have.....enjoy!!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 15:14:11 BDT
Sorry to dissapointed you Patti, I meant the prices were astronomical for dinner, not the meal itself. You are feeling cheeky today.xx

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 16:14:08 BDT
I have been a busy little ^^*^^ Fruit Bat today - I have completed the shifting and furbishing of my Desk Top - treated myself - sassed a company - My-Favourite-Magazines - their Website is CWAP - I have lost another Pound and am keeping it up - Treated myself to a couple magazines - Done the Re-cycling - almost finished - Cheeky - yes - because I am happy - if ever I seem formal - it is for you guys to judge - because I could be reporting FACTS - or I could be having a bad day and then I am formal and reserved - like I hate that
Love and hugs to all
Better finish the re-cycling the sky is getting black - as a monkey's armpit

Posted on 28 Aug 2014 17:37:02 BDT
I want to be there Patti. Rain would be just my drop. It is hot as a hyena's hinie here and dry with it. I am sick to death of summer. Roll on, sweet gentle October, roll on.

Posted on 28 Aug 2014 18:05:20 BDT
happy says:
According to our forecast, Ori, the next few days are going to be even hotter. I'm longing to be able to venture outside without wilting. Must be a lot worse for you, as we can be down on the coast in ten minutes where there is always a cooler breeze.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 19:00:12 BDT
pixie says:
Ok...*hangs head* I'll try, it won't be easy....thong memories...sorry I meant FOND memories!
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (711 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  67
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  2 Jun 2012
Latest post:  25 Jun 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions