Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

What are your Pantry "Musts"??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 168 posts in this discussion
Posted on 21 Dec 2012 23:27:54 GMT
Bread and dripping....with salt, fried bread, just about anything carby, fatty and sugary actually. I don,t, but I,d like to.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 23:33:59 GMT
I'd never heard of it either.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 23:44:27 GMT
I think I must have eaten both of your shares then too?!! - to be honest, you really didn't miss that much? - but when you're little, you are often very easily impressed! Me and my friends definitely were!!!

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 19:00:56 GMT
Charlie says:
My mum missed a trick there. She was queen of 70's kitsch food stuffs. We had the lot, blue mash, mushrooms in a field( the grass), sausages and onions, pineapple and cheese on cocktail sticks stuck in a spud covered in tin foil. Never allowed a soda steam tho, I was so jealous of my friends one :(

I feel so sick today, been making Florentines and fudge, just tasting has been too much for my savoury tooth. Anyone here make fudge? Some isn't quite firm enough, can I melt it and reheat like jam or will it spoil??

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2012 19:15:35 GMT
pixie says:
Check out...chocolate-candy-mall.com x

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 19:23:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2012 19:27:42 GMT
Yes, you can Charlie, but the thing is that fudge can often be too soft to set when it has been over-stirred and over-cooked, so reheating it then simply won't help you at all? you could add some Icing Sugar - I have sprinkled in a little Royal Icing Powder and that worked very well. Might be better though to start off a fresh batch if you are using it for gifts, I reckon? And you can always pot up the softer stuff for over Christmas to use up as a Fudge Sauce!

Or if there is a lot of it and you really have had enough of eating it right now, then swirl-stir it through a tub of Soft Scoop Vanilla Ice cream with some lightly crushed Pecan Nuts and refreeze. Then you could give it to the kids and hubby over the next few months as an occasional Toffee Fudge Sundae - made up with some Marshmallows, maybe a few crushed Maltesers and sliced Bananas?.....Mmmm.....(*drool*).....! ;o>

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2012 19:32:13 GMT
Hey, what a great site recommendation, Pixie!
I never thought to add a little more Evaporated Milk? But I would certainly give the suggestion to add some extra Chocolate Chips a whirl. That would definitely encourage a very nice set! - and also add even more yumminess to the mixture.

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 08:50:33 GMT
I'm all over that ice-cream idea, Suzy!

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 09:06:02 GMT
Charlie says:
Mmm to the ice cream and all the tips and for the site link. You guys are brill, it's like having nigella on speed dial! Was planning to send it to his work but think i will make it into ice cream as you said Suzy x x x

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 13:27:37 GMT
You have Nigella on speed dial!?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 14:20:54 GMT
Ohhh boy! "Clean up in Aisle Five!".....Sam?! - WAKE UP!!! - you are drooling again!!! :o>

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 15:35:02 GMT
Aww... Don't do that. I was having a great dream...

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 17:18:09 GMT
Okay Poppet, as it's Christmas!.....here you go - dream on!.....x

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 17:39:10 GMT
You're the best! :-)

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 18:53:03 GMT
Charlie says:
Suzy you truly are the best. Been trying to think how to word something all day, as usual you sorted it beautifully. Ever thought about politics?? Sam you don't need Nigella when you've got Suzy and Pixie!!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 02:02:32 GMT
X ! :o>

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 02:16:41 GMT
You might also need these too?!!.....x

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 09:57:54 GMT
D. H says:
Far too many to mention but: Flours, Sugars, chocolate, Liquors, Alcohol a plenty, home made vanilla extract, vanilla pods to keep it going, almond extract, Nuts, seeds, dried fruit, Oils (truffle is a must), vinegars, chutneys & Jams (homemade) scotch oats, lentils and pulses, spices, whole spices such as nutmegs star anaise etc, Dried oregano & bay leaves, salts and peppers, polenta, cous cous, pasta, shitaki mushrooms, soy sauces, rices, tinned pineapple (juices make great sweet n sour) shouxching, miso, oyster sauce, japanese breadcrumbs, vac pac chestnuts(stock up with these at christmas time so I have all year round) bisto original powder. cheap stuffing, garlic, chillies, root ginger tomatos, spring onions, potatoes, cereals Pots pans, waffle iron, baking equipment, parchment, foil, dutch ovens, cake stands and the list goes on x

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 12:26:41 GMT
Thanks, Anna! I used to stand and stare at my mom's pantry (she would buy arcane stuff and never use it). Now I buy the arcane stuff, too but I always use it. Of course Mom had a walk-in pantry and I have just a couple of groaning shelves.

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 12:44:58 GMT
D. H says:
You can't beat a walk in pantry. Don't know what I'd do without mine.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 13:18:17 GMT
pixie says:
Wish I had one! We did when I was small and the stone shelves kept everything cool...we also had a meat safe...nearly forgot about that!

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 13:27:41 GMT
D. H says:
Mines only a small one but still a lot better than standard kitchen cupboards. It's surprising just how much you can fit in them and how easy they are to work from.

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 13:32:23 GMT
Charlie says:
Anna, I am sooooooooo jealous. I have pull out larder that I hate, ok it's better than not having it, but I can't find anything in it, stuff falls down the back, it's not cool. Ooo to have a proper walk in, with your cheese at a nice steady temp, storage space, plenty of shelves....
Dear Father Christmas...

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 13:48:17 GMT
I just have 2 large cupboards in our Garage!!!.....so I am EVEN MORE jealous of all of you!!! ;o>

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 15:49:23 GMT
My mom's walk-in pantry used to be a thing called a "breezeway." My dad was a Southern gentleman (well, I say gentleman) and he built our house with the stairs to the cellar outside the main building, roofed and walled but not insulated or heated. At holiday time (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) it was a good place to keep the foods that didn't fit in the fridge, like the huge 25 lb turkey or the baked ham and the this and the that. You had to watch sometimes it didn't freeze, though. After my dad died, my brothers refurbished the "breezeway" as part of the house and it became the pantry. Shoot, now that I think about it, it was about as big as my livingroom now.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (647 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
gossip and general chat about all things 219 2 hours ago
come dine with me 7 4 hours ago
Belling or Stoves 900 Dual Fuel Range Cooker? Help! 113 5 hours ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 7886 8 hours ago
Naaners 21 15 hours ago
Fisher Paykel 120 5 15 hours ago
New books! 6611 1 day ago
Of teas, infusions, and tisanes 47 1 day ago
Halogen Oven 206 1 day ago
Our neighbours food delivery a few minutes ago 9 2 days ago
Leisure Range Cookers - design fault? 21 3 days ago
recipes... 432 3 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  18 Dec 2012
Latest post:  11 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions