Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2015 14:34:31 BDT
Don,t get me wrong, I like Jamie and his recipes do work. I love his enthusiasm, it,s very inspiring, but having a quick look at his new book did not excite me like a new book usually does, neither have the last couple that he brought out so I did not buy them. I shall have another look at Lorraine Pascale,s and probably Jamie's before I make my final decision. There are so many books out there that I would like but I do need to avoid impulse buying these days.xxx

Posted on 29 Aug 2015 08:29:10 BDT
I don't really watch Jamie's TV shows, I have little interest in them to be honest. I've always found that the recipes in his books are easy to follow, incredibly tasty and ones that always work. I have yet to have a dish from one of his books that hasn't worked and that's something that I can't say for some of the books I own

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2015 07:10:01 BDT
I am disappointed enough with JO on TV, I would never try one of his books. *ducks* Yes I know he has a huge following, but I don't happen to be one.

Isn't he the celeb chef who had maggots falling from the ceiling in "his" restaurant onto the customers?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2015 22:29:47 BDT
I,veg looked at both of these books by Jamie and Lorraine, but they don,t float my boat one little bit. .. I,ve bought the hairy bikers and I can,t wait for Nigel to make an appearance but I was very dissapointed with J O.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2015 22:28:45 BDT
pixie says:
I bought the jamie book from wh smiths half price Waterstones is doing thesame deal.

Posted on 28 Aug 2015 20:41:46 BDT
The new Lorraine Pascale book is very good. I've listed all of the recipes included in my review. Another user has also taken the time to list all of the recipes from the new Jamie Oliver book

I'm not looking forward to listing the recipes from the new Nigel Slater book. It took me about an hour to list them all from Kitchen Diaries 2

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2015 12:24:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Aug 2015 12:25:04 BDT
And when you gently but firmly say no, they think you're a terrible person!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2015 09:15:42 BDT
Right on lil sistah - you 'n' me Both

Posted on 28 Aug 2015 08:45:42 BDT
There are books that simply never leave this house. If you want to read it, fine--eat it here.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 21:44:53 BDT
My heart sinks if anyone asks to borrow any book of mine, you just know it,s not coming back without a struggle.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 15:05:27 BDT
In that book, The Good Women Of China: Hidden Voices, she mentions a folk belief that telling lies shortens your life.

So what does stealing do to your karma?
Technically this girl stole twice: once from me (by making a false promise) and once from her "best friend" that the disc was for.

I made sure the friend knew who had the disc.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 14:40:18 BDT
Now that is dead vicious -
to keep for yaself what aint no way yourn -
when they getcha you'll wish you wan't born

Posted on 27 Aug 2015 14:09:46 BDT
There's an old saying: He who lends his books to his friends loses both.
Add DVDs/CDs.
People in my city would never shoplift in a bookstore or music store, and yet think nothing of not returning a CD, DVD or book. When you ask, sometimes they will even say, "It's just a book!" like "no big deal." I once was asked to acquire a certain CD for a friend (she gave me the money first). I saw the girl who lived right across the hall from her in the same apartment block before I saw her, so I gave her the CD and said, "Give this to Sandra for me when you get home." She promised to do it. And never did. When I asked her about it, she laughed and made a gesture that meant, "I kept it for myself."

I ended up having to return the money to my friend.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 13:17:35 BDT
OH Pi-i-i-ixie I agree I know people to whom I never refer by NAME
Ditto Profundo - some I would not cross the room to greet who do that
Bless y'heart

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 12:44:48 BDT
pixie says:
It's the only thing I'm mean about. .lending books. I fret all the while one is missing from the book shelf. I find people are very lax at returning them and do not take care with them either.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 12:21:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2015 12:22:40 BDT
People here are always surprised that I have so many books; and then, that I've actually read them. When we got married 35 yrs ago young couples would buy sets of "classics" by the yard, all bound the same, and never touch them. For one reason, the print tended to be tiny! Nowadays they sign up for a book of the month club, and buy and buy, but never actually read them! I'll see something on someone's shelf and say, "Oh is that good?" "I dunno, I haven't read it."

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 12:20:28 BDT
I'm all over that like a rash!

I am amused to discover that "tufted" chairs means the ones with the button backs. To me a "tuft" is a bit of grass or hair that sticks out.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 10:40:53 BDT
pixie says:
Me too....only I'd like a cooler with white wine and gin in it!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 10:22:44 BDT
Bear in his lair, I can just picture that, it would be my dream too minus the whisky, I,d settle for a well chilled glass of champagne as I settled down to peruse my latest purchase and dream of all the lovely meals I could cook.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 10:19:10 BDT
Come to think of it Mrs P, you may be right, Pixie is the original book imp.xxxx

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 09:19:50 BDT
I have some crystal glasses - they were free with coupons from the Co-op when time was
The coupons were saved religiously - clippd prayerfully from magazines
Well that may seem a fib perhaps - but I must point out - the lady at the co-op said they
were real Crystal - Back in a bit - when I have found my glasses - eyes are bad s'morning

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 09:11:23 BDT
Bearman says:
I so want a library too especially with that button back worn leather arm chair beside the fire, old brass reading lamps, and one shelf of fake books hiding a concealed drinks cabinet full of decanters of malt whisky and old Armagnac, all with a couple of quality crystal glasses.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 08:43:23 BDT
I am SO going to count - you see I have my DEN - and it has a Bear in - my Old Ted
Several shelves of books on all sorts of needlework - Knitting Crochet Embroidery
All the Cookery books have their own bookcase in the Kitchen where they belong
When I have a moment free I am going to do a Census - count the Beggars

Posted on 27 Aug 2015 07:35:18 BDT
I don't have a library room but give me a few more years and you never know. Diana Henry has more than 4000 cookbooks so no matter how bad we think we are at least we can console ourselves in the knowledge that there is a bigger cookbook addict out there

In the meantime, you can now read the index to the new Hairy Bikers' book using the 'look inside' feature. Needless to say I have already studied it extensively

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2015 07:23:31 BDT
pixie says:
You reckon?! Ha ha!......bet you have a library room... (I would love one of those, with a real fire and a comfy chair)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (711 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  7162
Initial post:  15 Jun 2012
Latest post:  2 Dec 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions