Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

mmmm! what's for dinner

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6176-6200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 12 Jan 2014 11:25:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jan 2014 11:27:37 GMT
At Chateau de Patti we are cooking a great pot of Stew - we are making it Good Old English Stew

You need to cut the beef into not too small pieces and season
and chuck a bit flour on it then sauté in hot (garlic and thyme) oil
Using some Onglet cuts (Donald Russell) lovely chunky cuts of onion celery leek baby carrots
added pearl barley. I had - before I got the idea - found in the fridge Thursday's boiled and
strained bones - pork and beef ribs - had just gone to a jelly - where it is so cold in there
So add the Jelly - and a blessed great slug of Martini ROSSO - it makes a marvellous way
of seasoning a beef stew - and of course - don't forget the garlic (punishable offence)
Now to just sit and read - sort out some books do some needlework - and sip coffee.
Half past eleven - and still in my Jam-Jams - coffee first

Posted on 12 Jan 2014 15:48:14 GMT
Sounds wonderful my Patty.
I had frozen all of yesterday's wonderful salmon fumet except one good cupful which was in the fridge. Added a slug of chicken broth to stretch it, and then the ingredients to make "Miso Soup with Wakame" from my new friend Bento Boxes: Japanese Meals on the Go The idea of a "soup ball" is interesting. Of course I don't have the Japanese long onion (naganegi) so I made do with scallion, bein' as how I dunno the difference flavour-wise. Should have seen me, toasting the "soup ball" on a fork over the gas flame! LOL Very comforting on a cold, damp day when you have a cold or sore throat. I only used a goodish tablespoon of bonito flakes as "one gramme" looked to be about half the packet!! Delicious, a keeper. Only complaint I have with this cookbook--NO index at all.

Posted on 13 Jan 2014 05:35:03 GMT
Bearman says:
Hi Folks, I'm back in wifi range again, and just had to tell you about last night's meal. We were in Havelock, the world centre for NZ Green Shelled mussels. I made the mistake of having a starter and main course too. To start I had the grilled mussel selection - you should have seen the size of that dam plate. 18 huge mussels grilled with 9 different toppings! To name a few there was Kilpatrick (topped with bacon and cheese), garlic butter, pesto, parmesan, sweet chilli, honey and mustard, gruyere and bread crumb, tomato and spring onion, green thai curry (really really very good). That was supposed to be a starter! I could have left the table happily at that point, but I had already ordered a main course of pork belly stuffed with apple and prunes served on mustard potatoes with some spicy sauce I couldn't identify. We washed it all down with an excellent Sauvignon Blanc, called "Middle Earth tm" . Having had aperitifs before the meal, it seemed like a good idea to have ice cream sundaes. How much did this all cost? About £32 each! And that was at the waters edge. Anyway, must go as im cooking steak alla bearman in the van tonight.

Posted on 13 Jan 2014 08:02:33 GMT
No excess baggage coming home for you, then Bear...all your souvenirs will be memories of those mussels! Colour me green, with jealousy!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 08:24:47 GMT
Indeed - Welcome Back Bear - aww never mind the mussels
I am sure the holiday was Super

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 10:03:22 GMT
pixie says:
Belly pork sound divine!...mustard potatoes? Yummy!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 20:52:17 GMT
Bearman says:
Im not back yet! Just staying somewhere with wifi. The journey home starts friday. Tonight we are out to dinner we the lovely Leanne who married me and my OH on a beach in NZ on a previous trip. We are going to a restaurant called The Boatshed which is overhanging the waterfront in Nelson and is supposed to be a bit special.

Ori, we do have one souvenir which may cause excess baggage - it is a large (3ft) metal fish (John Dorey) made of stainless steel, and then coloured and patterned just using a blow torch. So all the fins, gills and eyes are beautiful irridescent coppers and purples from being heated up.

Posted on 13 Jan 2014 20:54:55 GMT
Bearman says:
I think that steamed mussels in a creamy thai green curry sauce has to be the dish of this trip so far. The curry works surprisingly well with mussels and the make it hot hot hot here.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 08:14:08 GMT
Sounds gorgeous, Bear--now that's one fish even I'd like!!

Posted on 14 Jan 2014 08:40:57 GMT
Maggie says:
Gammon,parmentier potatoes ,mushrooms,sweet corn,grilled tomatoes.

Posted on 14 Jan 2014 08:50:03 GMT
Today's lunch, one of DH's mystery concoctions, involving cabbage, sausages, a lot of broth, and that konjac pasta stuff. Sounds dreadful but will probably taste pretty darn good, most of his stuff does.

Posted on 14 Jan 2014 09:01:55 GMT
pixie says:
Lemon chicken with herbed rice.....

What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits and Bobs page167

Posted on 14 Jan 2014 14:43:34 GMT
For tonight, a Salmon Roll and the Steamed Miso Chicken from Bento Boxes. I made the salmon roll and am letting it "set" wrapped in cling film in the fridge. The recipe was obviously translated by a person with limited cooking experience...but then I've translated stuff to do with architecture and freezing tunnels myself--and know nothing of either.
I also know nothing of using a sushi mat. I put a sheet of clingfilm on it to help. How do you "roll up" a 4cm long slice of anything? I layered them end to end and overlapped them slightly and hoped for the best, but it looks nothing like the picture.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 15:09:04 GMT
Sounds delish, even my OH would not turn his nose up at that feast, oh, apart from the grilled toms, he likes them fresh but not cooked???

Posted on 14 Jan 2014 15:15:22 GMT
I,m going to do something with sausages tonight. My nan used to make a Monday dinner when she was doing the washing! it sat happily in the oven all morning and it was quick and cheap. Thick sliced potatoes, browned sausages, cut into bitesize pieces, chopped onion and any other veggies hanging around like peas, mushrooms, carrots, sweetcorn etc.. Placed in a casserole dish and seasoned. Then she poured over a can of cream of chicken or mushroom soup let down with a drop of milk. Doesn,t sound great, I know but it was sooooooo tasty. All the flavours would meld together and it was tastier than the sum of it,s parts. But you do need to be partial to sausage and potatoes...luckily, I am!!

Posted on 14 Jan 2014 15:20:42 GMT
"I'm going to do something with sausages tonight."

That's what she said...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 15:23:47 GMT
Well better be very careful cook slowly because the blighters spit their fat at you and WEAR an apron if you are Topless

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 15:35:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jan 2014 15:36:01 GMT
Honestly, you two....a mere slip of the tongue I assure you. It,s a good job Bear is not in hearing distance.xxxxx

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 17:15:15 GMT
pixie says:
"ooooh! Matron!"

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 18:23:59 GMT
Maggie says:
I knew you'd be in trouble with that as soon as I read it.SOoooooo predictable. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 18:47:50 GMT
In any registered Nudist Colony you are forbidden to fry
Without an Apron - and you must have a note from Mummy

Posted on 14 Jan 2014 19:47:12 GMT
I tell you what Maggie, they are so ruuuuuude on here at times, Me!! I,m just an innocent.xxxlol

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 19:47:54 GMT
Bearman says:
Bearman just checked in and he just spat his morning coffee across the table. Thank you for the chuckle!

Had a fantastic tasting menu dinner at the boatshed: started with oysters, then buffalo mozarella with prosciuto, fig and salad, then whitebait on toast (completely different animal to uk whitebait) with whitebait omlete on the side, then snapper of a bed of fresh cherry tomatoes with roast aubergine, then pork belly (again), then a mixture of shared puddings - eton mess, creme brulee and tiramisu. I think I have missed a course, but that will be the effect of all the wine. Today we start making our way back to Christchurch ready for the flight home on friday. I soooooooooo dont want to leave. At least we get to be reunited with the dog (and maybe see the kids).

CD- personally I prefer a sausage sandwich ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 19:51:49 GMT
So do I Bear, but it has to be with good white bread, best butter, a little, and brown sauce if anything at all. Followed by another one....hahahahaxxx

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 19:57:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jan 2014 20:04:05 GMT
Maggie says:
Me too!!?
An innocent,I mean.
But hang on I'll have a sausage sandwich too,but preferably more than a little of the butter, I'll just walk the pooch further afterwards
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (700 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  67
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  2 Jun 2012
Latest post:  25 Jun 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions