Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

mmmm! what's for dinner

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6151-6175 of 7331 posts in this discussion
Posted on 9 Jan 2014 18:43:20 GMT
Went back to my Bento box for supper. It's surprising what you can put in one of those. For an adult, don't go any smaller than a combined capacity of about 650 ml. For a person with a physical job you want to go over 700.

But for me, my 600 ml box is fine for dinner at night, for portion control. Tonight, from Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go, p. 35: Chicken Kara-Age with Green Onion Sauce, and a side of wild rice and salad. A taste of my own recipe of Roast Red Pepper Soup to follow.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 21:55:11 GMT
I know what you mean Maggie,my husband is famous for his dislike of most things. He supports my cooking ambitions as long as I don,t do anything different. We eat potatoes with everything, I,m running out of different ways of them cooking them to pique my interest. To be honest, after all these years of feeling limited by what I can cook I,m starting to lose interest all together. I don,t have limitless time, money or energy to be cooking two separate things all the time and for me eating a meal is about sharing the experience together not seperately.

Posted on 9 Jan 2014 23:33:01 GMT
Maggie says:
Don't lose interest Diamond, you owe it to yourself to cook something you fancy once in a while, after all you cook food that pleases your OH most of the time.so occasionally be kind to yourself and try something different. I know it can be disheartening when it is not appreciated by him, but what the heck, it's not every night is it.
Having said that, I quite often decide to cook something more interesting, but when the time comes I end up cooking the same old same old. It seems such a waste of effort doesn't it when you are pretty sure you will be the only one enjoying it. But recently I started thinking after 57 years of cooking what he likes surely it's time for more of my choices. A bit late in the day, but better late than never. He'll never change now, but it doesn't mean I can't rock the boat a little now and then .

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 08:45:54 GMT
It really helped loosen DH up, when he retired and started experimenting in the kitchen. He is a VERY picky eater, but he knew what he thought would go together. Yeah, we had some failures but I am careful not to laugh or scold. I just tell him, "It happens sometimes." He did get scolded for using one of my precious tejpatta leaves in the lentils, but only because they are so hard to get here.

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 08:47:13 GMT
Lunch today: roast chicken. Got another one of those "rural chickens" (as opposed to the urban chicks who are down wit da yout, innit!) and decided to rub the skin with a cut head of garlic (which later gets tucked in the cavity) and sprinkle some thyme and sea salt on it.

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 09:18:37 GMT
pixie says:
pork stir fry with pak choy and plum sauce from...

Top 200 Low Fat Recipes

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 09:40:37 GMT
Nice Chicken Ori - I tried Rosemary-Sea Salt - and ole blend from way back and it was still very good and what is a tejpatta leaf please
Pixie - that sounds a neat idea - a stir-fry - perhaps for me - for lunch today
For Diamond - I side with Maggie - no do not lose heart - it was years - for example before my Husband would ever attempt a Chilli con Carne -stick with it - and sad to say - I miss him enormously aye !! and his picky picky attitude - the old stick-in-the-mud - you see if you gave him Ravioli or Spaghetti - Ah Ha - that was what he wanted - it took years .........

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 11:47:01 GMT
Tejpatta (Malabathrum, Cinnamomum tejpatta) is called "indian bayleaf" but it is not a laurel, rather it is closely related to the cinnamon tree. It has a distinctive flavour all its own and the veins run vertically, not palmated like our European laurel. I've only ever found it last summer in the specialty shop on the coast...which is now closed, sniff sniff.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 12:14:00 GMT
Oh dear - Poor Ori to have had this supply closed
I understand this and tender two virtual Kleenex
I would be sad too9 under these circs - such a shame
Hope for an improvement for you - it sounds worth
while looking into this

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 22:15:23 GMT
After much meaning to do I finally got round to making Simon Hopkinson's pork rillettes. Now three weeks old and stunningly delicious. So easy for such yummy results. On thin toast with some quick pickled cucumber...

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 22:17:40 GMT
pixie says:
I love rillettes...used to make rabbit one with wild rabbit from Winchelsea..totally delish! I have been making the quick pickled celery from Gordon Ramsey...

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014 10:08:00 GMT
I saw him make them on tele, they looked delicious, thanks for reminding me, I,ll have a go myself.xxx

Posted on 11 Jan 2014 18:14:49 GMT
pixie says:
Mackerel with braised shallots,chorizo,chilli and tomato with rosemary saute potatoes.....it's a winner!

Posted on 11 Jan 2014 19:30:53 GMT
From Bento Boxes: Japanese Meals on the Go
Lotus Root Kinpira
Shirasu Rice Medley (dried fishlings, sesame seed and nori)
Side of green salad
Small portion leftover baked cod, dressed with a bit of sushi vinegar, just to Nipponize it a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014 20:01:10 GMT
Do you also have "Japanned" furniture

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014 21:57:54 GMT
Gracious Ori, you,ll look like a fish soon if you eat anymore,a Japanese one at that...lol.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014 22:01:51 GMT
pixie says:
You have a point Diamond!hahha!!!

Nothing to to with post but interesting?

To be honest I was surprised to read that although soya products were very healthy they are not SO healthy in too much quantity for westerners...it seems it's geographical!...What's that all about?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014 22:13:59 GMT
I think that is the case for many foods. It is said that the best foods for us are foods that can be grown in our own climate and are in their natural season. The med diet is always being touted for good health but apparently not for those of us who live in northern climes. It all makes sense if you really give it some thought.

Posted on 12 Jan 2014 07:13:58 GMT
pixie says:
Jerk belly pork, rice and peas and mango salsa

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 08:50:45 GMT
M Inx says:
Sounds yummy Pixie, hope all is well in your world. It's cold wet windy and wild here this morning so comfort food needed I think maybe a chicken and mushroom pie... X

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 09:39:01 GMT
pixie says:
Hi M Inx.....Happy New Year!

That sounds lovely...I am a pastry fiend...love it!

I have just had the biggest sneezing and coughing fit! Must be a rogue chilli! I was sauteing some mushrooms, chilli and asparagus tips to make some muffin sized pastryless quiche...lined the tins with Black forest ham instead...bit of goats cheese and the mushroom mix...had to open the doors and windows...neighbours must have wondered what was going on...couldn't stop laughing! Bet the mini quich will blow my head off! Fine start to the day!xx

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 09:53:49 GMT
I think it's down to genetics. Many Asian people are lactose intolerant, which is why you never hear of cheese from those countries, I shouldn't wonder. But people of N. European stock have a much lower incidence of that. I imagine the same goes with soy products. Personally I love tofu but with low thyroid it's not a good idea.

The Dr. told me to eat lots of fish, so I'm trying to find ways I like it. The dried fishlings were...interesting....but the recipe needed only 1 Tablespoon in a portion of cooked rice, mixed in with Japanese soysauce and sesame seeds. I prefer bonito flakes but they're so expensive!!
The fishmongeress I liked so much when our Lidl had a fishmonger has moved to a tiny little fish shop just down our street. She knows what I like and how I like it prepared. Yesterday I wanted some salmon, she had only half a pound's worth left but it was on the head, which she let me have for free once she'd cut off the slice. It was lovely and fresh and I boiled it with a bit of kelp to make broth which I portioned and stuck in the freezer. DH was pleased to have the head to munch, he said there was a LOT of "meat" left on it. Salmon cheeks (and cod cheeks) are considered "the best bit" by real fish fanatics in other places, but here the heads often get tossed.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 10:02:09 GMT
M Inx says:
Happy new year to you too Pix, I am still around reading posts just not so much time on my hands now I'm back at work but still thinking fondly of you all. I bet your kitchen smells delish this morning xx

Posted on 12 Jan 2014 10:03:57 GMT
I dunno, if she had to open the doors and windows...LOL Can you imagine? Chili as a weapon for crowd control! Who needs teargas?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2014 10:09:40 GMT
M Inx says:
Ori, you're so funny really you are... x
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (639 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  7331
Initial post:  2 Jun 2012
Latest post:  17 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions