Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Which Mixer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-47 of 47 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 15:36:08 GMT
Isobel Ayres says:
Nothing that came with either Kenwood we've had was ever foiled, so I guess that's not what we've experienced. The mixing bowls were stainless steel and white glass, and the paddles etc were steel too.

It's a shame that there a bad Kenwoods out there - it's what the brand is built on. You'd not buy a Kenwood for it's looks, so if they're falling apart there's no reason to buy one at all :(

Is it just certain models, or all of them?

Posted on 30 Oct 2012 07:56:56 GMT
Charlie says:
If you look at the credits on most of these tv shows kitchenaid get a credit, meaning they probably provide them free hence why they are everywhere. That said I do think they are gorgeous. I love the copper coloured one, although don't know if it's available in the UK yet it was a US special at one point.
I have a kenwood to replace my ancient carboot kenwood. Can't fault it. I even made a profit on the old one thanks to ebay and the fact that Kenwood run forever

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 09:09:02 GMT
pixie says:
On Idealworld they promote the Kenwood and people were ringing up saying they were still using the one their mum had in the 70's and older...must be a good motor on them..

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 09:23:44 GMT
They always used to be the workhorse of the Kitchen, Pixie.
I grew up in a house full of Kenwood - they were always such reliable products in the past. I really want to replace my mixer with another, if possible, but the KitchenAid is SO very tempting - simply on looks alone!

Posted on 30 Oct 2012 09:50:30 GMT
"Schweppes" Tonic water if having a gin.

Posted on 30 Oct 2012 10:11:28 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
Coincidentally, just saw this:
http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/James-Russell/12205533?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_304&a=1664

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 10:12:26 GMT
"Pepsi" Cola if having a Captain Morgans.

Posted on 30 Oct 2012 11:01:59 GMT
Isobel Ayres says:
Schweppes tonic water for vodka, too.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 11:05:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Oct 2012 11:06:11 GMT
pixie says:
Ever tried..Fever Tree Tonic Water, 20cl you can buy it in the supermarket...really really good!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 11:09:45 GMT
Isobel Ayres says:
I hadn't, but I will now!

Posted on 30 Oct 2012 11:15:12 GMT
bought the Andrew James mixer from Amazon - bigger bowl than Kenwood - and a lot chaper plus good reviews. Had ised a friends kenwood and basically thought they seemed the sam for noise and mixing!..As someone who is into baking (coeliac - shop stuff to swet and too expensive) have used mine at least 3 times a week for the past 6 months and am absolutely over the moon with it. You can't put on attachments but frankly the Kenwood ones are really expensive and how often would you use them. Anyway - I reckon read the reviews - decide what you want to do with the thing and go from there

Posted on 30 Oct 2012 11:19:21 GMT
bought an Andrew james 6 months ago - does everything I need as a baker and bread maker - good price and looks good! No noisier than comparable Kenwood (I borrowed a friends!) and a bigger bowl and motor. As a coeliac(shop bought stuff too sweet and too expensive!) use min at least 3 times a week and have had no problems - soooo pleased with it and am REALLY getting into gluten free baking (as my scales tell me). Anyway I reckon mines a good buy - doesn't take attachments but if you just want a mixer for baking this is excellent. Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 12:50:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Oct 2012 13:56:42 GMT
Hiyah Michael,
I came across these three recipes online just other day and thought that they looked very interesting? I tried making a Chickpea based cake a few years back and it certainly was good - and the large feedback that these recipes have received certainly rate them very highly. The comments that accompany them is an edited version of the introduction to the recipes from the food blogger who originally posted them......

Apple Spice Garbanzo Cake.
This is a recipe for a cake made with chickpeas! Not garbanzo bean (Chickpea) flour either but actual garbanzo beans. There are only a few ingredients, so it is very easy to make and an added bonus is that it contained no flour so is naturally gluten free. Interestingly there is no added fat either but this is one of the moistest cakes I have ever made and you don't taste the chickpeas at all. You can use also dried chickpeas that have been made up ready to use.

The original recipe called for the grated rind and juice of an orange which I didn't have - so I replaced the orange with one grated apple and a teaspoon of lemon zest, as well as adding a 1/2 teaspoon of cloves to the 2 teaspoons of cinnamon already called for. The original recipe also calls for sprinkling cinnamon sugar over the top of the cake, but it was sweet enough and already quite cinnamony - so I think that it might be too much. I tried to think of what else to frost this with or add as a complement, but it was just so delicious on it's own that I really don't think it needs anything! Maybe you could add a crunchy topping or a perhaps a liitle little vanilla ice cream?

One 19 oz can of chickpeas // 4 eggs beaten // 1 cup sugar or a granulated sugar substitute // 1 teaspoon baking powder // 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon // 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves // 1 medium apple grated through a fine grater // 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind.

Preheat oven to 350F // 180C // 160C fan // Gas mark 4. Drain, rinse chickpeas and process them until smooth in blender or food processor. Spoon puree into bowl and add remaining ingredients stirring until fully combined. The mixture will be runny - this is normal. Grease an 8x8 cake pan. Pour batter into pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy!......

And don't give the secret away until after your family / guests have eaten it! They'll never guess what the secret ingredient is - and that it's actually good for them! A word of caution though, some people are allergic to the protein in various beans and legumes so do be up front about it if you aren't sure about any potential allergy issues!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Chocolate Orange Garbanzo Cake.
This cake is both moist and delicious with a beautiful texture. Though the smoother you make your puree, the better it is - and taking time to rub off the tough skins before you put them in the blender is worth it too. This makes one 8-inch round cake - so double the recipe if you want 2 layers. The Chocolate Ganache recipe makes enough for two layers, just in case!

One 19 oz can chickpeas, drained // 4 eggs, beaten // 1 cup granulated sugar // 1 teaspoon baking powder // 1/2 cup cocoa powder // grated rind and juice of one orange // 1/4 cup water // 2 tablespoons vegetable oil // 1 tablespoon of Cointreau or Grand Marnier (optional).

Preheat oven to 350F // 180C // 160C fan // Gas mark 4. Grease and line an 8 inch cake pan. Drain chickpeas and rub them between your fingers to loosen and remove skins. Rinse any bits of skin away and puree chickpeas in food processor or blender with orange juice and water (the smoother the better).

Spoon puree into bowl and gently stir in eggs, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, grated orange rind, and Cointreau or Grand Marnier if using. Pour cake mixture into pan tapping on counter lightly to remove any large air bubbles. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool before removing from pan and turn upside down onto serving dish. Cover with chocolate ganache and garnish with grated orange rind.

Foolproof Chocolate Ganache: 1 cup heavy (Double) cream // 5 oz bittersweet plus 5 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Pour cream and chocolate chips into medium sized microwave bowl. Microwave for one minute. Remove and stir. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Microwave for 30 more seconds, if necessary. Remove and stir until smooth. Let cool slightly before pouring over your cake. You can also whip it once it's cooled to make a thicker frosting that can be applied with a knife - though the colour will lighten and it will lose it's glossy sheen if you whip it. But either way it's delicious!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Bananas Gone Nuts Garbanzo Cake
It's moist and full of banana flavor and nuts--what's not to like!? Without the frosting this would make an excellent breakfast option - loaded with protein and healthy carbs, it will keep you going all morning. This definitely lends itself to a muffin format which makes life easier when you're taking them on the go.

Another bonus is that unlike traditional baking this is such an easy recipe - just mix the entire batter in a blender and pour it into a pan - it takes less than 5 minutes from beginning to popping it into the oven. So easy there's simply no excuse NOT to make it!

One 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained // 2 very ripe bananas // 1/2 cup hemp milk (or almond, soy, rice, coconut, or dairy // 4 eggs // 3/4 cup sugar // 3 tablespoons almond butter, or peanut butter // 1 teaspoon baking powder // 1/2 cup chopped walnuts // approx 1/2 a jar of Nutella // Chocolate Ganache Frosting (see previous recipe!).

Preheat oven to 350F // 180C // 160C fan // Gas mark 4. Line two 8-inch cake pans with parchment or foil and grease. Put chickpeas, bananas, milk, eggs, sugar and almond butter into blender or food processor - process until smooth. Add baking powder and process briefly until incorporated. Stir in walnuts. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pans.

Place first layer on serving dish and spread with nutella followed by thin layer of ganache. Place second layer on top upside down and pour ganache over it spreading with knife until smooth. Garnish with sliced bananas and nuts if desired......
Enjoy!.....x

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 21:39:10 GMT
I purchased KitchenAid Artisan 15 years ago.
I chose this instead of a holiday.
It is robust and does everything a mixer should.The range of attachments are impressive.
Parts do not go wrong or break,but I have seen the attachments for sale on ebay.
I used it with My children and now My grandchild.

Posted on 17 Feb 2013 14:57:15 GMT
done says:
don't buy andrew james food mixer as their flexi beaters are prone to break first time.

Posted on 17 Feb 2013 21:18:38 GMT
Judi says:
I have had 2 Kenwood Chefs - the first was a hand-me-down from my mother-in-law and was still working fine but a bit scraped and scratched on the outside when I upgraded to a new all stainless steel Chef 8 years ago. This one had a problem with one attachment and Kenwood customer service sorted it quickly and with no hassle. It is still looking as good as new and works really well for cakes, soups, chopping onion you name it.

Posted on 1 Mar 2013 06:08:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Mar 2013 06:41:38 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
For anyone with a Kenwood mixer they have had for years - there is a company which overhauls Kenwood Mixers and if you want you can get it a new paint job. Changing from ageing white to a new colour.

I bought a white one - a KM - off Ebay - very clean, from a second hand dealer - I think it had been in a cupboard out of the sunlight for years as there is no yellowing at all - It looks like new and makes the can opener permanently attached to it look very old. Had just a bowl and the paddle.

The other one a A901. had been overhauled by an individual and was spray painted in what he called "Liverpool Red" - it is a slightly more scarlet than a "Man U" crimson. I got a car spray colour "dab on" in case it ever gets scratched but it hasn't.

I bid on both mixers and went to bed. The auction ended while I was asleep one day (I worked nights) I woke up to find myself owner of both. The second one just had a paddle and a steel bowl too.

I bought a new grey (they call it silver) plastic bowl just for mixing egg whites - for meringues etc.

I'll try and find the link for the company, and add it on here.

http://www.kenwoodchefrestore.co.uk/

They seem to have a basic fee for restoration but this does not include parts or repainting in colours other than white/cream. It also says that to have it repainted in a different colour is a set fee and if the top is plastic it has be changed to a metal top otherwise they cannot spray paint. They arrange collection and delivery and quote 20. or 10 each way. If you had a broken one I think you could send it 10. and get a estimate. The site is worth looking at.

You can also get the up to date action of PULSING added to some models.

Have a look at the GALLERY on the site.

My red one is the same colour as the A701. painted Ruby red with grey. Mine is red all over.

It's a nice website to look through. The FAQ list is interesting too. for example how to raise and lower your paddle so it just misses the base of the bowl etc.

Posted on 4 Sep 2013 14:46:59 BDT
Worthington says:
I bought a Lidl food mixer a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't expecting much and got ready to take it back for a refund. After all, it cost less than 50.

What a pleasant surprise! The mixer is similar to the Bosch Mum range and comes with a good selection of choppers, beaters and a liquidizer. They all work very well and especially the dough hook. I use the latter to knead 700gms of flour, which it copes with admirably. The food processor attachment has received more use than my old one since 1978 and I'm about to make mayonnaise as the mixer's final test.

With a two year guarantee and good reports on-line about customer service and spare parts, I think I may have found a bargain.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2013 14:05:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Sep 2013 14:38:59 BDT
I have owned for about 35 years a Kenwood Chef 701 with enough attachments to fill a QM stores. I love it. It will do everything a processor will do and more. Its mincer makes excellent sausages; its liquidiser is in daily use for milk shakes, soups, fruit juices (in fact we have somehow acquired three goblet thingies); its milling attachment turns whole wheat into great flour, from which you can sift out the bran or leave it in as you prefer; it kneads the dough quickly and superbly to a nice springy great ball ready to dump straight into the tin for proving & baking; my wife makes delicious cakes with it; it whips up cream from pourable to stiff or (if you leave it) until it's butter; its coffee grinder is the only gadget I've got which will grind dried echinacea (from eBay) to powder, keeping colds at bay and saving me a small fortune over buying Holland & Barrett; the slicer will cope with a whole season's carrots and runner beans; and the grater turns rough old mouse-trap cheese into a decent topping for pizzas. If I had one kitchen gadget to take with me to a desert island it would be my old faithful Kenwood Chef. Mine has a 350W motor and the modern ones are much more powerful, yet I have never felt mine to be under-powered. It copes with everything I give it to do and does it superbly. Old Ken Wood himself has now gone to the Great White Kitchen in the sky but his company lives on, though I can't remember ever having to order a spare part because nothing ever wears out. Can't speak for the newer attachments but mine are build like a battleship and just go on and on. You can find most things on eBay anyway. Excellent machine.

Posted on 7 Sep 2013 22:27:23 BDT
Jayem says:
I also have one bought in 1973 and still going strong, but I have heard that the newer ones are not as good!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2013 07:27:16 BDT
Bearman says:
I'm a big Kenwood fan too. I have had my Chef Major (silver coloured one when all others were white) since 1989 ands its never had a problem. The Major has a really big bowl too.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2014 15:21:31 GMT
I have had am Andrew James food mixer for 2 years and have replaced the kbeater through there sales number as listed earlier I also have their meat slicer which I have used on many joints and have had it for at least 2 Xmas's so I consider their products to be exceedingly good value and therefore would advise any one to purchase from them
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (711 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Cheap Red Wine 2 1 hour ago
The All New What's For Dinner Thread!! 616 15 hours ago
Anybody here do any Japanese cooking? 11 1 day ago
Kefir, anyone? 227 8 days ago
Curd Cheese - can I use anything as a substitute? 190 10 days ago
gossip and general chat about all things 1659 13 days ago
Which steam cleaner for oven 105 20 days ago
Vanilla & Coffee 3 20 days ago
Kidney Friendly Diet 2 24 days ago
Which oven to buy 38 26 May 2016
Fan assisted oven nightmare! PLEASE HELP! 267 14 May 2016
Cake decorating 18 5 May 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  28 Oct 2012
Latest post:  15 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions