Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Halogen, microwaves, quartz, convection ovens - I am confused!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 61 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 09:32:27 GMT
I'm not? I've just missed the little pest - it's been quite a while since they were last around!

Posted on 5 Jan 2013 09:34:24 GMT
pixie says:
They didn't like the are you for real question...wasn't being rude but ..mm?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 11:02:01 GMT
Suzy has said all and more than I could have added about the microwave clevernesses.

But I realise I didn't properly answer about the halogen oven cooking time.

The food takes about the same time to cook as in a normal oven for a given weight and cooking temperature.

BUT, the great advantage of a halogen oven is that the best ones can get up to a _stable_ (and therefore usable) cooking temperature within a minute or so, which is very fast when compared with the anything from ten minutes (at best) for a fan oven to maybe thirty minutes (typically) for a simple convector oven to eventually settle at the right temperature.

An example. My ancient (but superb and much missed) AEG fan oven only took about 10 minutes on fan to stabilise at 170C (typical frozen pizza), but our new (but IMHO rubbish) Howdens fan oven takes 25 minutes before the temperature finally drops back to 170C from an overshoot to 220C. The frozen pizza might only take 15 minutes to cook, but with the Howdens oven it is not done until maybe 40 minutes after switch-on.

So if you include the warm-up time as part of the total cooking time, then a halogen can save a lot of time compared with a conventional convector or fan oven. Depending on how good the various ovens were, it might cook the pizza in a total On-to-Off time of 16mins vs 40 mins for the ordinary oven.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 12:05:53 GMT
John Smith says:
> Howdens fan oven takes 25 minutes before the temperature finally drops back to 170C from an overshoot to 220C
Gads! I had no idea that conventional (convection) electric ovens could take so long to stabilse.
How did you discover this? Do you simply put a thermometer in the middle of the oven and take measurements every few minutes, or does it only apply to corner areas or what?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 12:57:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2013 13:02:10 GMT
The Howdens nightmare is a FAN oven, but when in conventional convection mode it takes the same length of time. The design is fundamentally flawed, possibly as a consequence of trying to be too clever. We only had it because it came with the kitchen.

And yes, because it was so weird to cook in we had two thermometers hanging inside it to find out what was going on, one in the centre and one in various corners. I still leave one in the front near the door. They were not brilliant, being ten degrees different near 170C, and I needed to re-calibrate the wrong one after checking both against an accurate probe.

I'm saving up for a better replacement 'under the counter' single oven. I want a triple glazed door, height adjustable runner sliders for the shelves, quick heating and even fan function, quick grill function, and decent insulation.

The Howdens 3600 oven is claimed to be A rated for efficiency, but IMHO I think they simply lied, because it uses more power for a cook than my previous twenty-eight-year-old AEG double oven did. Being a cynical engineer I actually measured the power used for a complete cooking cycle to cook a frozen pizza and also to sustain a fixed 170C temperature, on both the old one before it was taken out and on the new one soon after it was fitted.
http://www.howdens.com/product-range/appliance-collection/ovens/single-electric/lamona-single-multi-function-oven/

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 14:23:49 GMT
Try the new Bon- Fire range. One up to speed, they deliver a regular heat, and are most economical.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 19:52:04 GMT
John Smith says:
> Try the new Bon- Fire range.
Sorry I cant find what you mean. Are they microwave ovens? Do you have a URL?
J

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 20:04:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2013 20:05:03 GMT
Roo is a very naughty little Kangaroo that emigrated, then got lost and lonely, and ended up wandering on to these Forums, J. He tries very hard to be helpful but he often also likes to make things up too!

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 23:19:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2013 23:20:20 GMT
Unbelievable?!
I tell the truth to help someone new to understand another person's forum avatar and I still get negged?!! - LOL!!!

Zero my Hero? You really need to get a better grip of your mouse! - or lie down in a dark room and take a chill pill?!! ;o>

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 23:42:55 GMT
Thank You! :o>

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 23:54:02 GMT
I think I know who it is!!!! Arthur Fowler!! It might not be though, I've a feeling it is Christopher Biggins. It's just the sort of underhand trick old 'Biggins' would find worthy of a chortle.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 00:01:59 GMT
I'm giving up on this thread now - I've done my best here and still been found wanting? It makes no sense at all? I think it is time to move on, don't you Roo? - and take our Microwave with us! ;o>

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 00:04:48 GMT
Barney Rubble? Or that old rascal Pipkins? I'm onto you, Minnie Cauldwells' ghost! You won't scare me, and I've met Doris Stokes. In fact, we were engaged for a short time. I proposed to her in a caravanette, when we were camped up in Glossop. Lovely she was, my Doris, but it wouldn't have worked, not really. It was a dream romance, and they don't last forever. It did run it's course though, she left me on my sixth birthday. I was devastated for a time, and it was only when I discovered Lemon Drizzle Cake I began to see it for what it was. Lemon Drizzle Cake.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 00:12:02 GMT
You nearly caught me off my guard there!! Reminiscing can do that, but now I've donned my Private Investigator outfit, I won't take my eye off the ball again. Some people were going to call me Inspector Rooseua, but they never did.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 16:37:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2013 21:54:26 GMT
John Smith says:
PA so I fell into your Bon-Fire range trap. And go ahead, have your fun... what can I say? In my defense products often really ARE called stupid names like that! Either that or insanely long impenetrable mixtures of letter and number that mean nothing to any normal human.
J

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 17:27:05 GMT
Don't worry, I believed myself, too!!

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 22:13:26 GMT
I,m not too keen on microwave cooking, I do porridge, some veg, reheating, partly cooking potatoes for roasties or baking, sauces and custard can be done, but fiddly. I don,t think you can do real cooking in a microwave nada lot of the extra,s offered are a waste of time. The reviews for the Lakeland Remolska are very good. I suppose it depends what you want it for. I think I could probably be a fully paid up member of the " slow food " movement, or is it just old age these days???

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 09:06:11 GMT
Bearman says:
CD - there are somethings that microwaves do really well. I can make a pint of hollandaise sauce in about 3 minutes in mine. Melting chocolate carefully is another usefull trick. For both of them I use the method of blasting for 20 seconds on full power, remove the container, stir vigorously for 20 seconds and then back in the microwave and repeat until done.

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 15:51:45 GMT
Spock says:
Chocolate - Yum.
Anyone noticed?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 21:51:16 GMT
Yes Bear, fiddly, they are good for sauces and melting chocolate etc etc,, but since I started cooking on an induction hob I find the fine control I have over the heat really great for sauces and suchlike..... I won,t say I prefer it to gas, I cooked on gas for over 40 years but now I,m used to induction it does have some real advantages.... My old gas burners used to go out if I set them too low and it was always a dirty clean up job....

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 21:56:06 GMT
Poor John, when Roo andSuzy get going you never know what your getting in to, keep your head down, that,s what I reckon. It,s safer that way. They're quite harmless as long as you keep feeding them with drizzle cake and chocolate Brazil's.xxx

Posted on 10 Jan 2013 09:34:25 GMT
Bearman says:
I'm still devoted to gas hobs. I have used induction, but I get nervous when I cant see the heat by the size of the flames - stupid I know, when the induction hob has a nice display of the settings.

Posted on 14 Jan 2013 22:58:41 GMT
John Smith says:
Btw, how can I find out what the new Panasonic Microwaves are that John Lewis promised "within 2 weeks" ?
I've had no luck so far Googling...

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 13:34:46 GMT
Isobel Ayres says:
I miss my gas hob. I bought a flat a year ago and haven't yet been able to afford to replace the ancient old ceramic topped electric jobbie that came with it. I loathe it and haven't been able to make a decent stir-fry yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 13:45:01 GMT
pixie says:
See if you can buy a bargain...

Andrew James Digital Electric Induction Hob 2000 Watt I have the stellar one....

Stellar Portable Induction Hob (SEA15) As I nhave an Aga it doesn't cut the mustard for stirfrying...bought this and problem solved Isobel...got mine from a fab website......Hartsofstur...they have a brilliant selection of kitchen goods and often have great sales. Their customer services good and they are quick. If you watch QVC they have a "Cooks Essential" one on there and the same pans work on induction...check it out. Good thing about them is if you don't like it you can return within 30 days full refund even after you have used it. Hope this helps.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (639 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  3 Jan 2013
Latest post:  12 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions