Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

What are your Pantry "Musts"??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 168 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 21:05:28 GMT
Yes it is, poor old Dad is all at sea without mum to take care of him, he doesn,t have a clue really. They,ve never been apart in over 62 years until the dementia got too much for her and Dad could not look after her at home anymore, we do what we can but it,s not enough really, nothing can replace her and the knowledge that she is alone in her own little world is no comfort either...it sucksxxxxx

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 21:01:41 GMT
pixie says:
Poor love...old age is a drag...xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 21:00:46 GMT
Oh yes Pixie, I knew exactly what you meant, my Dads on loads of pills and half of those are used to temper the side effects of the other half, so to speak. Trouble is Dad is not really clued up a out his health or meds and works on the principal that more is better, I found out he was taking two aspirin a day cos the Doc told him one a day was good for heart health so the silly old sausage thought two would work better????? This is what I meant about some people and taking alternative remedies, they think it can do no harm so they up the dose........?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 20:54:02 GMT
pixie says:
Oh don't you start!xx

Posted on 30 Dec 2012 20:53:14 GMT
wobberoo says:
I suffer quite a bit with a stomach complaint. My Dr. has suggested a variety of preparations, but alas, to no avail. The only thing that reduces my acute suffering is LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE!!!! And I would share, if you feel it would help. I'd maybe even give my last slice to suzy. Mmmmmmmmmm?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 20:44:26 GMT
pixie says:
I rest my case Diamond when I tried to say that sometimes the perscribed drugs cure the main prob well enough but give you something else to worry about..maybe you could go back to the Doc and tell him/her about your tum..might be able to suggest something else. Medicine moves on quickly so worth keeping on top of it...poor you, good luck. xx

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 20:31:31 GMT
I take naproxen once a day for my knee replacement, the Doc prescribed two but I can manage on one. Paracetamol and ibuprofen don,t seem to help at all and without the naproxen I cannot get about very well for pain down my leg. The trouble is that they play havoc with my tummy, I take ranitidine to help coat my stomach and protect it, but I wonder how long I can keep taking it for. It,s a bummer.xx

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 17:25:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2012 17:27:06 GMT
Awww bless him.....x
I have days, sometimes weeks of that? - but I usually manage to recover some of it at some point.
I'm going to have these Ops to trim the bones in my thumb joints, happy? It has had quite a high success rate, and can for most people even permanently stop the pain - so although it will take the best part of a year and months of intensive rehab to regain the use and feeling again, I feel that I simply have no choice but to go for it.

Baking is more than just an obsession - it is my life's passion, and I just can't stop all the longing and the imagining of myself being able to make and Marzipan my own Christmas Cake maybe next year - It is all I can think about now?
Would your hubby also get any pain relief or benefit from an Op like this too?

Posted on 30 Dec 2012 16:43:11 GMT
Hubby was taking Naproxene three times a day, but recently they aren't doing much good. He gets on well with Diclorofenic but the Dr took him off them, when he had his last hospital visit, which was fourteen months ago. His next appointment is next week, so perhaps he can get them to give him something stronger. Paracetamol has no effect on him. Aspirin is the only other thing that helps. He has severe pain in his hands and back. His hands have no sense of touch and very limited movement.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 16:31:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2012 16:36:47 GMT
ARRRGGGHHH!!! - NO!!!
I point-blank refuse to have anything else wrong with me! - ever again!
Actually, I do get blood tested and scanned every 4 months as part of research into a 'Juvenile Arthritis and beyond' project, Orinoco, so I think I should be okay? And they do very kindly give me all of my results back each time.

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 12:08:15 GMT
Could be hormonal changes, too, Suzy. Our bodies do weird things. How long has it been since you've had a blood workup? I know when I started with the thyroid disease my hair got frizzy and coarse, and I've had string-straight hair since I was born. It wouldn't even hold a perm.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 09:58:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2012 10:08:18 GMT
I have been taking the full daily dose of Paracetamol as my main medication, with occasional Ibruprofen chasers in between, since virtually day one of diagnosis. When I was first told to do this, I genuinely thought that the Consultant was joking?- as I just considered it to be no more than a headache cure!

However, it is absolutely miraculous for me! - the way that my joints seem to respond. But if I miss a dose? - Ohhh Squirrels! - it will take at least several then to get back to a tolerable level of pain relief. And although, it is not accumulative in the body and so safe to take it like this, I have never had to take any regular medication before this happened, and so naturally, I do worry about the long term effects sometimes despite the all of Consultant's reassurances.

On good days, I try to rest more, cut the odd dose down to half and spread them out more (every 6 hrs instead of 4) - and sometimes I get away with it. I do have stronger medications including Morphine to support me but I will only take them when absolutely nothing else works. And the Morphine often makes me hallucinate! - usually about purple spiders? - which thankfully I quite like rather than fear! and sometimes it will also give me the 24 hour giggles too!!! :o>

My sleep pattern has always been poor. I used to manage 4 - 6 hrs before - but now 2 - 4 is a good night?!!

And weirdly???.....my hair has always had a lovely curl to it?.....until 4 months ago, when it suddenly went completely straight?!! My hairdresser noticed it happening and she reckons that it could possibly be down to the Paracetamol - and that it may also be a permanent side effect too!!!

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 09:08:32 GMT
OK, TMI maybe but, I must try diclofenac again if my rotator cuff acts up. I couldn't take it for several years because if I took 3 doses, I'd get TTOTM, no matter where I was in my cycle! However that hasn't happened for over 6 mos so maybe I dare try it again.
Suzy I have a dear friend in the US who has OA too and at 48 she is really struggling. She is Amerindian and tends to get more out of being "smudged" than the doctor's meds. She has taken so many that they screw up her sleep cycle and she basically doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 02:51:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2012 02:55:09 GMT
Ahhh?.....I have two little woofers who would very probably have the same idea?!! - HA HA HA!!! :o>

And I also feel for you too - I know that feeling very well. I have days, sometimes, when the pain down my thumbs is just so bad that I get to the point where I could quite happily agree to amputation! - just to escape the agony.

And unfortunately, I can't tolerate either Codeine or Diclofenac because they both make me violently sick! :o<

I do consider myself to be very lucky though? because apparently I was born with this and yet I grew up undiagnosed - and so I just accepted and adapted to the pain (of what I now know to have been Arthritic episodes) as totally normal because I never knew any better? I trained as a Nurse (and I would never have even been accepted if my condition had been known) and had a pretty full and happy life until my legs finally and dramatically reached their limit, and suddenly gave up on me two years ago.

If I had known what was ahead, I very probably would have had a much more limited and cotton-wool wrapped life? - and so I reckon that to get to 42 years old, and to still be in fairly ignorant bliss(!) is actually pretty good going! And fortunately, I have always been a bit of a 'Pollyanna' when it comes to counting my blessings! - and this has definitely helped me to be able to deal with all this too.....x

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 01:22:22 GMT
Suzy, if you can find one a Hot Tub is good.

An old friend in France had one sunk into the verandah of his previous house and it was wonderful soaking in it and looking out towards the Pyrenees, especially when the jets were gently massaging the aching places. The main problem with it was keeping the cat and four small dogs from jumping in as well.

You can add interesting salts and nice-smelling stuff to help as well to assist the "pH balancing" regime (a chore) necessary with these hi-tech luxuries.

The great thing about swimming is that it gives us core strength and improves cardiovascular conditioning without causing any impact damage to tender or fragile crumbling joints. Without the regular three sessions a week, my back and shoulders would have seized-up solid years ago.

I feel for you: I'm still fighting it successfully most of the time, no problems with swimming, walking (or skiing - standing still on two planks at 20mph) yet; but every now and then I wake up to such intense paralysing pain that I shut down everything enough not to notice pins being stuck in, and no movement is possible until a few hours after a few diclofenac have been found and administered. Then it usually takes a week or so to subside far enough to stop the diclofenac again.

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 16:11:33 GMT
Yup...so maybe they'll give you a discount as it will be only slightly shopworn?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 14:10:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2012 14:10:25 GMT
YAY!!! You might be getting a little low on Alcohol though?
I bumped into Pixie at the till and she had several trolleyfuls of booze for her New Year Cocktails.....
she isn't having a party though? - they are just to wet her whistle come midnight!

I've just realised? You will have had New Year first, won't you? By about an hour, is that right?.....x

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 13:45:04 GMT
Oh sure. I just got back from Lush and am loaded with duty-free samples too!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 09:48:28 GMT
Hmmm, but what about your living room? - and (Ooo-Err!) your bedroom?!!
And as I'll definitely be needing my Passport just to go between rooms at your house - is there any chance of me just quickly visiting the Duty Free shop that you have got set up in the Conservatory?! ;o>

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 09:38:24 GMT
Only if you let me come over for Free Swim! LOL
Here we have the tradition of the Christmas Lottery, it's almost a law you have to play even if it is a "participation" in someone else's ticket. I always tell DH if we win big I am going to have a new house with...a Japanese bathroom and and American kitchen!

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 01:12:19 GMT
So, Orinoco? Can I have my hot tub as a 'Pantry Must'?!?!?!.....just a very small one?.....PLEEEEEASE!!! ;o>

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 01:03:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2012 01:13:34 GMT
Well, that is definitely my motto R. F.!

And jogging up and down through the warm water plus doing Aqua-Aerobic movements is the only safe and effective way that I can exercise now without being in total agony afterwards - and it has proved to be my best form of therapy ever? Even my Consultant has been so impressed by how well it works for me, that he has now referred some of his other patients there too. He can't quite work out how I am still able to manage to walk? and he says that it must be as a direct result of this, that I can still keep going!

I go to a Total Fitness Gym, but I can't use the Disabled access pool because I won't allow myself to sit in a hoist?! (I'm just not ready for that! - and I hope that I never will be!) and I can't walk safely down the wheelchair ramp and into the pool?! However the smaller pool, which is usually empty between 8 - 10am in the mornings, has a huge staircase down into it which is perfect for me!!! I walk in on my crutches (mine are called Eric and Ernie) and then just put them on the side of the pool until I am done!

I do have a wheelchair, but I only use it when I have absolutely no choice, or just to get from A to B, and then I'm out of it again as soon as I possibly can! It would be far too easy to just give up the daily struggle with crutches - to sit in it and just stay there? - but if I do that then within a matter of weeks I will probably never be able to walk again? - so I won't!!! :o>

I have had an idea to save like mad (please God? - let me win the lottery?!!) and get myself a small hot tub? One that is just wide enough for me to move around in and deep enough to come nearly up to my shoulders? It would have to go in the Garage but then I would be able to do all of my exercises in it whenever I wanted to?! And when I am really wracked with pain, like first thing every morning? then I could just sit in it and feel all of the crippling muscle spasms and locked-rigid joint pain just ease and wash away!!!.....Aaaahhh, now that would really be pure bliss!!! :o>

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 00:05:32 GMT
Swimming is good!

My favourite local pool has enduring re-construction since last April, and I'm really beginning to feel the lack of my regular swims because the other pools are much less handy for the bus-pass bound among us.
http://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/article/8603/Highgrove-Pool

I guess there is no real substitute for _appropriate_ exercise to keep us healthy. Use it or lose it, as they say.

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 22:03:57 GMT
Stu says:
mice

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 21:09:07 GMT
wobberoo says:
A lot of people drink a vinegar called 'White Lightening'. Do you think this could have similar properties, to the other vinegars?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (660 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
mmmm! what's for dinner 8427 1 hour ago
Leisure Range Cookers - design fault? 22 1 hour ago
New books! 6826 1 hour ago
Halogen Oven 232 1 day ago
Gourmet Kitchenware 19 2 days ago
Frying pans 19 2 days ago
Carving Roast Duck 14 2 days ago
Which steam cleaner for oven 102 2 days ago
Make ahead cold canapes 20 3 days ago
What was the last food you bought out of curiousity? 125 5 days ago
gossip and general chat about all things 332 7 days ago
Yerba Mate, anyone? 205 14 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  18 Dec 2012
Latest post:  11 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions