Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2014 19:28:02 BDT
pixie says:
only bought it today..Tesco x

Posted on 13 Sep 2014 19:25:03 BDT
Charlie says:
Plenty More miso veggies and walnut pasta both really good. Anyone done anything else from this book? Don't know where to start with it??

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2014 17:41:55 BDT
pixie says:
Just use some shitaki or other similar Mrs P

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2014 21:16:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2014 21:17:00 BDT
I think my tastes are a bit dated to be honest. It,s a lovely book but the food does not appeal to me. I,ve looked at Jamie,s comfort food and didn,t think much too it either. Mary Berry,s claims to be all new recipes, which in truth they are, but it is stuff like venison cottage pie, instead of beef, that kind of thing, I was a bit dissapointed to be honest. Sad to say, I haven,t really kept up with the more modern food movement, some of the recipes I look at leave me cold.xxx

Posted on 9 Sep 2014 20:50:24 BDT
Charlie says:
Ooo book people had A Modern Way to Eat for 6 quid if anyone hasn't got it yet. Flash sale. Its awesome btw x

Posted on 9 Sep 2014 15:52:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2014 15:54:22 BDT
Look who turned up today! Rick Stein's India
Looks really good and useful. I could do with some alternative suggestions for types of fish we don't have here, but I can consult Atul Kochaar's book I guess. Stein too sort of assumes everyone can get all the spices etc....or perhaps he assumes that everyone can bop to India on holiday and bring the stuff back.
I know US customs wouldn't be thrilled if you brought back locally-purchased spices, let alone bought in bulk in a native market...how can they pass it through in the UK?

One corner of the cover was bent, but the envelope was a bit torn and postie told me it had been dropped in transit, apparently he was there (maybe he's the one who dropped it, who knows). Other than that it was as good as new, for 4 quid plus postage. Quite an improvement on last year's 15. I could have waited a bit longer and got it cheaper, but I couldn't wait any longer!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2014 15:19:19 BDT
Never even heard of them Mrs P. I live in a culinary wilderness, well not quite, I admit, but it,s mainly supermarket stuff. If you were able to travel all over the county I expect you could buy all sorts of lovely stuff, but it,s not available for everyday cooking.

Posted on 9 Sep 2014 15:12:49 BDT
Love Ottolenghi but where exactly is someone living in the North of England such as me going to find 150g of buna-shimeji mushrooms

Come on. These authors need to realise that not everybody lives in London with access to such ingredients. The minimum they should do is provide an alternative that is easier to source

Posted on 8 Sep 2014 19:07:34 BDT
Ivan says:
For anyone waiting for Ottolenghi's new book which is out on Thursday, there's quite a few of the recipes here... The Thai red lentil soup looks good

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/06/welcome-to-the-feast-11-yotam-ottolenghi-best-recipes

Posted on 7 Sep 2014 09:19:50 BDT
I had to get sharp with my doctor, my thyroid results always came back "low normal" meaning near the bottom of the normal range, so I said, "Why then do I have all the symptoms!!" She raised it a bit, not much. My problem is laziness! I know I need to move around more, get out more etc. Now that the killer heat is over I must get out my trainers and trot about a bit. Naturally lazy temperament (even as a kid!), love of good food and cooking, plus the low thyroid thing, is a recipe for chubbiness if I don't watch it. I went to a nutritionist about 5 years ago so I know what to do.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2014 09:18:46 BDT
I had to get sharp with my doctor, my thyroid results always came back "low normal" meaning near the bottom of the normal range, so I said, "Why then do I have all the symptoms!!" She raised it a bit, not much.

My problem is laziness! I know I need to move around more, get out more etc. Now that the killer heat is over I must get out my trainers and trot about a bit. Naturally lazy temperament (even as a kid!), love of good food and cooking, plus the low thyroid thing, is a recipe for chubbiness if I don't watch it. I went to a nutritionist about 5 years ago so I know what to do.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2014 07:23:50 BDT
Well have it checked - and take medi if it is prescribed - that sounds a neat idea

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2014 00:58:07 BDT
Thanks, it is worth another try. I,ve had my thyroid checked in the dim and distant past but it always came back within the " the normal range". Perhaps tests are more sophisticated these days. I have a low temperature of 36.1 at resting, first thing in the morning and that can be a symptom, even at bedtime when I,ve been on the go it,s only 36.7

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2014 00:34:45 BDT
Hmm, CD, have you had a thyroid function blood test in the last few years?

I know a couple of people who had weight problems, acid reflux, depressed, always tired, etc, etc. With them it turned out as they got older their thyroid activity diminished.

Careful consultation with medical experts sorted them and with the correct meds they are both a lot more active, more comfortable in themselves, and back to eating almost normally without having to avoid food groups.

It is just a thought, but the most recent one of the two struggled for almost twenty years steadily getting worse before she changed GP and he suggested the blood test.
Now only a size 10 she has had to throw out all her old clothes; hubby was happy to pay for her new slim wardrobe.

Posted on 7 Sep 2014 00:14:49 BDT
Oh Patti, thank you for sharing, that is the problem for me. I know that food doesn,t fill the gap, but it,s a learned response to stuff down the uncomfortable feelings. It,s a bit like the chicken and the egg, which came first, the weight or the depression, for me it was the depression, eating made me feel better, then I got depressed about the eating and the weight that followed. I don,t suit a high protein diet,I get badly bunged up, if you follow. My dad has a good joke about suppositories, he says for all the good they do you may as well shove them up your " artefacts "......well, it always me laugh.xxx. I just try to keep a balance, neither too little or too much of carbs, protein etc etc. I fall down on the veg though and don,t always eat enough and I,m starting to realize that bread does not suit me, particularly white. I made my own and still got acid.!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2014 23:15:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Sep 2014 23:17:28 BDT
I have been reading all your comments and thinking about my own choices - I can't help thinking Pixie has the right of it - mostly - because no one likes a regime - we are free willed critters - and make bad choices because - don't ask - for each one of us it's something different - for me it was depression and eating stuff like apple tart and lots of cream - or chocolate and roast potatoes - they were like comfort foods - what I needed comforting AFTER - don't ever ask - we are all differently placed - it might help you to find out what you are missing so you know what you are using food for
I am telling you this because it is what I did - I knew what I was missing and ate to get it all back - but then I believe it was something on the internet that suggested high protein and I was one for rare steaks when I could get them - and roast chicken - eggs for breakfast -

That was - up to date - about a six month ago - may be only three - but when ever it was - it was the result of how I could make portions SMALLER every time - if I was eating from choice - not because there was food on the PLATE - and WE sit till we finish - that was the rule - I did go to see a Psychologist who talked me out of obedience to an out dated set of rules - times to eat - what we eat - even how we eat (my step-daddy had the table manners of an iguana)
It all ties up - once you know you are free to choose - even if it means cooking two dinners - one for he who must also choose - and one for Yourself -
I know this is rather disjointed - but this is how it works - I lived on my own kind of burger and salad for five days - enjoyed them with salad dressing of my own making - because I deserve it and lost a pound and half
How does it work - which way ROUND - does being fat make one depressed - or does depression cause the excess weight because you want to eat - and cooking is so EASY
Oh Crikey Moses - this is one hell of a post - and Criminal Minds has come on- it's Shemar Moore - bet I've spelled that wrong now - no matter - you know whom I mean - I hope I have told you some ideas of what can be done - and you need to take it in gentle steps - do not make it a TASK - I mixed some orange in my salad - that was GOOD - hope you like the idea

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2014 23:06:06 BDT
pixie says:
You just need to get used to eating a little less...the thing I like about Ellie is she says snacks are good! Her muffins are delish!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2014 22:51:55 BDT
I think you are spot on Pixie, I know I overeat. I can always find room for a bit of pudding, even when I,ve satisfied my hunger. Sweets in the car, biscuits with tea at Dad,s, snacking on crisps, too much on my plate, that kind of thing, it all adds up and it,s these ingrained habits that are so hard to stop because I do it on autopilot most of the time.xx

Posted on 6 Sep 2014 22:28:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Sep 2014 22:29:14 BDT
pixie says:
I have mentioned Ellie Krieger before...you should take a look at her website, she has a few recipes on there thet you can try..then her books...they are a good price "used"

My friends have been to all the slimming clubs and all of them have put the weight back on and then some! They don't work because nobody wants a regime! If you love food then the only way is portion control, I could hardly believe how much I was overeating! That's the best lesson I learnt by following her way of eating. It is really tasty food and I suggest you take a look at her website. I lost 2st

No amount of walking alone will shift it...I know because I used to walk miles..useless if I was over eating..

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2014 21:52:07 BDT
It,s a bummer Ori. I have a friend who has been on and off diets for as long as I,ve known her. She does WW or Slimming world and is very successful, spurred on by a holiday coming up usually. By Christmas she will have regained it all back again. I have seen her keep getting bigger and bigger over the years. I weigh far too much for my height, I know it does me no good but I just cannot diet with any success or for any length of time. My weight has been about the same for about 20 yrs, I keep it stable. I do wonder which of us is better off in the long run. My friend is a size smaller than me now but only just, she is dieting at the moment, denying herself in the name of slimming world. Who knows???

Posted on 6 Sep 2014 20:46:34 BDT
I keep getting within spitting distance of my target weight, then I seem to ricochet away from it. Keep telling myself things will improve once it cools down. Supposed to be cooler from tomorrow, the forecast is showers for the next ten days. Still it will clear out the last of the holiday makers and then we can walk along the beach. Yesterday was the last keep fit class on the beach. Not many takers. As soon as it was finished a lorry arrive and the stage was dismantled.
Had Corvina yesterday, don't know what that is in English, haven't had time to look it up.

Posted on 6 Sep 2014 16:33:47 BDT
Oh I know HP is the way to go, fish for me according to the doc and since I'm over hating the smell and have a good "monger" just down the street, if I don't lose weight it's my own stupid fault. Gotta get up from this chair and move the old gluteus maximus, though, if I want lasting results!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2014 16:21:22 BDT
Well it works fine for us meat eaters - I am carnivorous -
I would think it might suit a fish- eater (what you callit)
quite well - you may see that the salads and high protein
go together - for a vegetarian it might make too much of a
task of the project
High protein suits me - it may not suit you - except you try and see

Posted on 6 Sep 2014 15:46:11 BDT
187 lbs, Patti.
Strewth.
If I needed a spur to watch myself, that's it.
Holy crumbs.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2014 13:24:56 BDT
what is 85kg Ori - in English currency
I was 175 lbs now am just marginally over 160
if you can take - small amts of Eggs and Cheese but
stick with lean meat and salads and no mayo - but
some flavoured light salad dressing
THAT was how I did it - but burgers are only viable
if you know for sure what was minced - and then fry your own
Well sure it is awkward but WORKS
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (647 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
gossip and general chat about all things 223 10 hours ago
come dine with me 7 23 hours ago
Belling or Stoves 900 Dual Fuel Range Cooker? Help! 113 1 day ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 7886 1 day ago
Naaners 21 1 day ago
Fisher Paykel 120 5 1 day ago
New books! 6611 2 days ago
Of teas, infusions, and tisanes 47 2 days ago
Halogen Oven 206 2 days ago
Our neighbours food delivery a few minutes ago 9 3 days ago
Leisure Range Cookers - design fault? 21 3 days ago
recipes... 432 4 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  6612
Initial post:  15 Jun 2012
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions