Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Non food books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 301-325 of 330 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2013 14:26:40 BDT
pixie says:
I saw the programme that was on with Quinten in New York...I didn't enjoy that so much as the Naked Civil Servant...British humour for sure......John Hurt was amazing in that too!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2013 20:26:08 BDT
Ghost says:
Just ordered it from Amazon, from one of ther s/hand dealers. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2013 20:56:56 BDT
pixie says:
Brilliant...I've always been really lucky with the "Used" books ...always great condition books....

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 21:00:11 BDT
So have I, touch wood...just bought a book for 8pence plus p&p, I mean, you can,t really go wrong with that.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2013 21:06:54 BDT
pixie says:
Was it a cookery book Diamond? x

Posted on 12 Jul 2013 09:51:21 BDT
Bearman says:
Did anyone read "Cloud Atlas"? I read it a couple of years ago and loved it. I just saw the film adaptation which was actually quite good with some really entertaining performances. There is a bit of something for everyone in the book - from period drama in the southern seas right through to a bit of science fiction. The film changed the order of things and seemed to spend more time in the futuristic parts, but I still enjoyed it.

Posted on 14 Jul 2013 20:56:54 BDT
I tried to read that one Bear but I couldn,t get into it, kept falling asleep so I gave up on it. Just read Michael pollan. An omnivore,s dilemma. The Omnivore's Dilemma: The Search for a Perfect Meal in a Fast-Food World (reissued) and Jay raynerA Greedy Man in a Hungry World: How (almost) everything you thought you knew about food is wrong. I like these kind of books. Trouble is, if I read any more horror stories about our food supply I,ll stop eating altogether.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 09:05:09 BDT
Bearman says:
Hi CD - I'm one of those sad people who loves a bit of escapism in my literature. I do read non-fiction and lots of reference books, but for pure pleasure give me something with a touch of the fantastic.

Posted on 15 Jul 2013 09:51:12 BDT
I like autobiography and journals and collections of letters. I'm a great fan of I-was-there books. "The reader would not believe that such things could be, but I was there and I saw it." Izaak Walton writes that somewhere. Either that, or I'm just nosy! LOL
But I read a lot of other stuff too. Bear, on Gutenberg they are putting out some of Ray Bradbury's old short stories from vintage scifi magazines, you might like to see them.

Posted on 15 Jul 2013 10:00:19 BDT
Bearman says:
Thanks for the tip Ori - I will check it out. The only Ray Bradbury book I have read was Fahrenheit 451 so I could do with getting a few more under my belt.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 11:59:19 BDT
Not sad at all Bear, I like all sorts of books, science fiction, detective, witchcraft and magic, pratchett, king, willbur smith. What I,m not fond of is the stuff they call chick lit. I prefer something I can get my teeth into. I like bill Bryson although I,m not a big reader of travel books. I also enjoy the back of a cornflakes box when all else fails.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 12:03:05 BDT
pixie says:
Try....Executioner Pierrepoint: An Autobiography Not a easy subject but certainly makes you think about the whole "Capital Punishment" thing. Last British Hangman.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 12:12:09 BDT
Thank you for that Pixie, cost me £2.. Odd with free delivery, not on kindle sadly, I prefer books like that on kindle, but o. The other hand I can pass it onto Dad. He will appreciate that.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 12:16:34 BDT
pixie says:
You are welcome...I found this and thought of you with all your Bric a brac finds...It shows you how to use them when dining.....looks really interesting from an inspiration point of view....
The Set Table: The Art of Small Gatherings

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 12:54:26 BDT
I,ve put itin my ever expanding wish list for now, oh Pixie, so many books, so little time and even less money, but I can always find enough for my books, funny that!!. What is the hosting book like from Felicity Cloake, I saw that in TK too but didn,t have much time to look at it and then it had gone when I bought Arabesque yesterday.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 14:43:26 BDT
pixie says:
Look in TK Diamond....I tried the Crumpet recipe which she says she searched for a long time...I have to say they are the best! Light as a feather and cook in an instant! I was chatting to someone on here about crumpets and wether the bicarb goes in first or after the bibbly bit....I'd read some where that it's after and that's how she does it!...I tried the Hollywood ones and the Hairy Bikers...no contest!
She has a recipe for our English muffins too so may have a go at them too.
Keep the books you like on the wish list and they will suddenly pop up dirt cheap...you got to be quick though....and we are!xx

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 21:49:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2013 21:55:17 BDT
Have you looked at my wish list, I,ll need a third income at the rate I,m going.......I,ll have to dig out some celery and the old rotary whisk again at this rate.......

Posted on 4 Nov 2013 17:56:17 GMT
pixie says:
if you love reading you will love this book...free!

In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 (Jefferson Tayte) get it while you can!x

Posted on 5 Nov 2013 11:02:23 GMT
pixie says:
A Bottle of Plonk This is free again!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2013 11:41:16 GMT
Disappointingly not a real bottle of plonk.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2013 12:38:14 GMT
pixie says:
Sad but true!

Posted on 6 Nov 2013 11:14:42 GMT
pixie says:
Greek Expectations: The Last Moussaka Standing This is funny and has recipes and it's free!

Posted on 17 Nov 2013 18:10:43 GMT
pixie says:
For Diamond..

Kitchen Rhythm: A Year in a Parisian P‚tisserie

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2013 21:19:57 GMT
Thanks pixie for thinking of me, I could do with a good read.xxx

Posted on 18 Nov 2013 20:04:28 GMT
Girls, this is the Non-Food Books thread! LOL
You can't resist, can ya!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (710 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Anybody here do any Japanese cooking? 10 11 hours ago
The All New What's For Dinner Thread!! 614 3 days ago
Kefir, anyone? 227 6 days ago
Curd Cheese - can I use anything as a substitute? 190 7 days ago
gossip and general chat about all things 1659 10 days ago
Which steam cleaner for oven 105 18 days ago
Vanilla & Coffee 3 18 days ago
Kidney Friendly Diet 2 22 days ago
Which oven to buy 38 26 May 2016
Fan assisted oven nightmare! PLEASE HELP! 267 14 May 2016
Cake decorating 18 5 May 2016
Hostess Trolleys 18 5 May 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  330
Initial post:  16 Jan 2013
Latest post:  7 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions