Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Turmeric...how to remove it from clothes?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Apr 2013 12:28:51 BDT
You know you cook Indian food a lot, when your clothes have turmeric spots on them. DH and I went to the local curry place yesterday and he managed to drop Butter Chicken sauce on his pale blue shirt. Is there any way to remove turmeric stains other than "buy a new shirt"?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2013 12:34:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Apr 2013 12:36:19 BDT
pixie says:
I rread Ori you must sort it before it goes for a proper wash.
1/ rub washing up liquid into it and leave for 30 mins

2/ rub it with a cut lemon and leave in the sun til stain clears or fades/ it says you can use distilled white vinegar too.

3/ wash in detergent and make sure the stain has gone.

if still there apply washing up liquid again

hope this helps, I haven't tried it!

Posted on 18 Apr 2013 15:28:27 BDT
Worth a shot Pix.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2013 18:02:44 BDT
pixie says:
go for it girl...will be interested in result..please report back as a good cookie! lol!

Posted on 18 Apr 2013 18:52:26 BDT
Charlie says:
Failing that you could always dye the shirt? A nice lemon colour??

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2013 19:02:07 BDT
pixie says:
Little Devil!x

Posted on 18 Apr 2013 19:28:33 BDT
Charlie says:
Oi! I was serious! Lol

Posted on 18 Apr 2013 21:11:35 BDT
With difficulty Ori.xxx

Posted on 18 Apr 2013 21:51:59 BDT
Grandma says:
This might help -

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Turmeric-Stain-from-Clothes

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 15:13:32 BDT
pixie says:
Grandma..just noticed you are from Vermont....bet it's beautiful!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 15:25:37 BDT
Grandma says:
At the minute, pixie, it is sort of gray as we are in the middle of "mud season" with the snow pack all melting off, but yes, Vermont has some spectacular scenery. There is a reason, though, that they call this area of the US "New England."

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 15:27:18 BDT
pixie says:
Fab! Nice to have you post on here Grandma........we have sun today in Somerset, we may even get a summer....ooops! now I've blown it!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 15:35:20 BDT
Grandma says:
It nice to find people who actually like to cook Pixie - and am I given to understand that you, too, collect cookbooks?

I'm coming over for a couple of weeks the end of May, so perhaps I can drag a little bit of summer along with me . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 18:23:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2013 18:23:55 BDT
pixie says:
I sure do Grandma...I think I have "a problem" I have been doing it for years and it's the one thing that has been constant in my life...hobbywise. I just love cooking and have really got into American food.
I visited Boston in the Early 80's and was blown away by the range and quality of food and didn't visit one fast food joint. We drove up to New York when it wasn't fashionable to do so and the through Buffalo into Canada...amazing! It changed my opinion of the "American Tourist" I realised how they came to the UK and did a whistle stop tour...America is so vast that to go from one end to the other is no big shakes! You want to go there you go there. So London to Scotland is a doddle!
Where are you staying in the UK? And what are your plans...tourist wise? You have family here so that is fab ...I hope you get about and see lots...we ain't half bad....honest!x

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 18:39:24 BDT
Grandma says:
My daughter and grand live in Cambridge. I was over back at the end of November and had a wonderful time. There are things I would love to see - a gazillion at least - but I'm coming this time primarily to supervise my grand while daughter is away, so my big touristing will probably be hitting the marvelous open air market in the center of Cambridge a few times and haunting a book store or two . . or three.

Oddly, I am also a life long collector of cookbooks and love cooking. I've fairly recently gotten in to British/Irish/Australian food. For so many years metric scales were so hard to come by here and so expensive when you found them. Now you can buy a decent scale for less than a decent frying pan, so it is much easier.

Yes, we are a huge country. Many people commute an hour or more to work (more if you live in a place where mass transit is actually available) and of course we are all descended from those who had huge courage and feet that wandered enough to carry them clear across oceans to make a new life. I did hear that Scotland is a bit of a trip from London. Naturally - since I would dearly love to see Hadrian's Wall.

Posted on 19 Apr 2013 19:01:06 BDT
pixie says:
That is so funny...it's taken us an age to get our heads around cups! Now I'm into them I'm hooked!
Cambridge is very nice...I know the East Coast very well and there are lots of great places in that area...hope you keep posting and have a great visit!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 19:21:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2013 19:56:23 BDT
Grandma says:
BTW, pixie - I did leave a list of "translations" for American to British on one of the cookbooks I've posted a review for here recently if you might find that helpful. I usually do the same in the other direction on my US reviews of British books. You would think it would be easier to all speak the same language.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 19:24:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2013 19:25:28 BDT
pixie says:
Thanks Grandma ...I'll check it out...have a look at my reviews...I bought...

The Great American Cookbook: 500 Recipes: Favorite Foods from Every State: 500 Time Tested Recipes: Favorite Foods from Every State what do you think? about the book I mean not my review!lol!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 19:52:12 BDT
Grandma says:
This is a book that has been on my wishlist for some time, but it isn't' one that I have. From taking a look at the LookInside, I think I'll make an effort to find a copy of it. If I had to pick just one "American" cookbook to recommend, then that one book would have to be James Beard's American Cookery. I won a first edition copy of this one when it was first published, have read every word many times and can swear that it is indeed authentic.

I can also tell you one not to bother with. I saw Shiela Lukin's USA Cookbook on the same page as the book you bought. This is another one I had a first edition copy of - and it made me so mad I ended up throwing it in the Goodwill box! All she has done is take very standard American recipes known to virtually everyone my age and doctor them, often not well.

I think you'll be surprised at how readily you can see the UK roots of so much of "traditional" American food.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 20:41:22 BDT
pixie says:
Of course....recipes all evolve from one place or another and it stands to reason that the Uk, Ireland and wales an Scotland have had a huge influence on American cookery...the same with italian....the thing is you have put your own twist on the recipes!

I quite like Sheila Lukins...but Ellie Kreiger is y fav at the moment as I am trying to lose a few pounds and have done well with her recipes......I am toying with ...

Martha Stewart's Everyday Light: The Quickest and Easiest Recipes, all under 500 Calories have you seen this one?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 20:46:08 BDT
Grandma says:
No, Martha is not a fave with me. I do not have a lot of cookbooks in the diet or low cal categories. What I do have I've tended to acquire from your side of the pond.

I tend to specialize in regional, historical, ethnic and baking. (I do have others from Sheila that I quite like BTW, just not that one.)

Posted on 19 Apr 2013 20:58:33 BDT
From a Brit in the UK although lived in Vancouver BC a long time...sorry that Cambridge MA is in the news at the moment..

Turmeric ..well how about bleaching it...otherwise in future use Saffron instead. Pixie says cut with lemon and leave in the Sun...where are we supposed to get the latter bit from?? Now come on.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 21:05:17 BDT
Grandma says:
I would loan you some but it is rare here too at the minute. You might try a heat lamp instead.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2013 21:22:30 BDT
pixie says:
Yes my darlin true...but Ori lives in Spain!Lol!

Posted on 19 Apr 2013 21:40:12 BDT
Well if you live in Spain ( I have done for a while ) use saffron which is cheaper than chips over there and easily dealt with if it comes a problem on a newly cleaned white shirt. If you have a situation afterwards let me know ..it involves vinegar, Bi- carb soda and the stomach lining of a giant Mediterranean octopus.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (639 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  18 Apr 2013
Latest post:  27 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions