Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Silly Question...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Dec 2013 12:48:20 GMT
What do British people mean when they talk about a "squishy egg" sandwich? Are we talking about a simple omelette between 2 slices of bread? Or a fried egg over easy, or what?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 13:08:23 GMT
pixie says:
A fried egg just fried...yolk still runny no over easy.

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 13:14:08 GMT
I've never been sure what "over easy" even means...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 13:16:16 GMT
pixie says:
Think it means just flipped over to turn the yolk white...but still runny...we like 'em sunny side up!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 14:32:28 GMT
Hmm, for us it was a very slowly simmered "soft" boiled egg. I can't do it here in UK.

When I was small we lived at altitude for fifteen years where boiling point was only 85 C, so everything took longer to cook, but it did mean that you could have an egg where the yolk and white we BOTH part cooked, ie neither runny nor set.

And this was a heavenly snack when spread on big slices of home baked hot buttered toast as yellow and white streaks on a chilly afternoon as soon as we got home from school. Our own hens too. You've woken up a long forgotten memory from the 1950s there!

Is that is a bit like what you suggested?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 15:08:56 GMT
I like them just fried. No sunny anythings involved.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 16:06:11 GMT
An egg "over easy" means you spoon hot fat from the pan over the yolk to turn it white and just seal the surface. It's the way I like my eggs.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 16:39:25 GMT
happy says:
When I was young, RF my Mum used to cook eggs like that, then spoon them out of the shell onto soft, well buttered sliced bread and mix it all up. Used to love it.

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 18:05:18 GMT
Looks like what constitutes a "squishy egg sandwich" is open to debate....sigh. I'll stick with simple omelette sandwich.

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 17:05:24 GMT
happy says:
H loves an egg banjo. Soft fried egg in a crusty bread roll.

Posted on 21 Dec 2013 19:48:34 GMT
I,m a heathen and cannot stand the taste of runny yolk, it has to be broken and turned hard over for me.....xx

Posted on 22 Dec 2013 18:26:50 GMT
happy says:
I'm the opposite can't stand hard yolks. I always get the perfect one, the rest have to take pot luck.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (711 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  19 Dec 2013
Latest post:  22 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions