Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

We'll meat again...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 145 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Dec 2012 08:38:00 GMT
To keep Ori happy ;-) here's a thread to discuss the various stances taken on eating meat, fish, etc...

Some people refrain from eating meat but then do eat fish, or sometimes chicken. Would someone like to explain why some animals are afforded a greater right to life than others? Can this be a justified moral position.

Discuss!

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 08:54:28 GMT
D. H says:
Hi Sam, It's all personal choice. Some may like or dislike certain meats. Some class themselves as vegetarians as they don't like eating red meat. I suppose its like those people who say: "I'm allergic" when what they actually mean is I don't like it. Others May have had a brief experience in an abattoir and temporarily boycotting anything with four legs and some..may foolishly not know what they are eating.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 09:03:36 GMT
I can understand not eating certain animals because you don't like it, or for medical reasons.

I'm interested in how people justify not eating certain animals on moral grounds while being happy to eat other animals.

Your point about seeing an abattoir is well taken. I think we could all benefit from knowing where our food comes from and how it gets to us.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 09:08:35 GMT
D. H says:
some are just fickle, like those who choose to not eat meat because its murder then buy leather shoes such as Docs (Dr Martain) and leather jackets. They will always find justification in their own decisions.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 09:10:32 GMT
pixie says:
Morning all...I think a varied diet is important...everything in moderation. I am not convinced by a soley vegetarian diet...then again I think the western world eats far too much meat, moderation is the key.
Why is it that we live on an island yet don't appear to eat much fish?
That is why alot of the catch goes to the continent...we don't eat it. Shame as it is very good for us.
At the end of the day diet is a personal thing...but being a veggie does not mean going to the chiller cabinet and buying a "Linda" meal...grains,pulses, veg all have their place and should be cooked from scratch.
I have two "Veggie" friends who constantly have a hanky in their hand and do not eat properly!

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 09:17:12 GMT
D. H says:
Merry Christmas Pixie, I agree but I find that has more to do with cost and value for money than anything else and just like everything else in Great Britain we are dictated to by Europe!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 09:20:42 GMT
I am often very confused by my own moral and ethical take on this, Sam?
I can't bear the thought of suffering or pain, inflicted on my behalf, towards such innocent creatures who are just as entitled to a life as I am? And all just to meet my own selfish craving for their flesh in my diet? - yes, it really does bother me. Driving behind a lorry going to an Abbatoir is an utterly heartbreaking experience, and the footage that is often shown on the News, of the cruelty that we Human Beings frequently put these beautiful trusting animals through, just takes my breath away.

I know that I could never ever eat Dog or Cat or Horse - even though it is commonplace in some countries. Yet despite my deep love too towards Chickens, Cows, Pigs and Sheep - I seem to have no problem at all with eating them? Apart from feeling a bit guilty now and then. I love Deer, but also really enjoy Venison. And Fish? - well, I could eat that every day of the week easily. Maybe, it is because I have always had Dogs And Cats as pets, and my Mum had Horses? So they are 'inedible' to my mind now? - but, then again, I also love cuddly little Rabbits as well and yet I can still cook and eat them?

I think my body chooses with it's stomach rather it's brain? I really do wish sometimes that I had the willpower to be more principled about it. But, I think the real reason for my current diet is more down to the fact that I have tried being Vegetarian and Vegan and I soon discovered that I simply don't like any of the Foodstuffs available to me enough to be able to live off them - so at the end of the day it all simply came down to my own personal taste that decided my lifestyle choice.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 09:24:31 GMT
pixie says:
I know...I gave up being pressured a long time ago with the Christmas thing, there is something really nice about eating non Christmas driven food. I don't like Christmas pud or cake..can't stand boozie trifle, marzipan and used to make it all cos I thought i had to. Now I make a few mince pies, sausage rolls. And enjoy cooking from scratch again the day after boxing day! It's liberating! No ridiculous expense. The only thing I really like is our house is a party house all day Christmas day....!

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 09:26:22 GMT
D. H says:
here here suzy x

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 09:27:31 GMT
Hiyah Anna!.....Merry Christmas!.....x

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 09:29:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 09:31:52 GMT
D. H says:
Hia Suzy Merry Christmas to you too x

I love the cooking, baking, playing with food but especially eating it. hahaha my parents used to tell me "Don't play with your food!" ironically they love me playing with it now.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 11:29:52 GMT
Charlie says:
Does it perhaps come down to cuteness? If fish and chickens had huge brown eyes with lovely eyelashes like the veal cows would their existence have more value? I'm sure that if people refrained from giving titles to these eating habits and just said I don't eat red meat for example it would be a lot less confusing.
As a teen I was a veggie, but as a mother my childrens need for balance is key. I have a friend who is raising her 2 boys veggie and they are so skinny and lethargic. To be fair shes not a keen cook and was complaining that they wouldn't eat the veggie rissotto they had for tea. My secret thought? Add some quality chicken stock and I'm sure they'd lap it up
Somewhere along the line I really have turned into a grumpy opinionated git haven't I?
Blame the sleepless nights
And cooking diamond if you're out there don't you dare stop posting. I love your posts. They always make me smile :)

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 11:30:59 GMT
Bearman says:
For me the biggest concern is the animal welfare. I always try to buy chicken free-range and as someone who eats dairy products (therefore responsible for cows producing calves to keep milk production going), I regularly champion british veal, to try and do my bit to stop those poor calves been exported to the lower welfare standards on the continent. I will by preference choose old varieties of pork as they are usually outdoor animals (and just taste better). I love game, and consider that to have had the best type of natural life before it hits my plate. I also try to think of the environment - I actively avoid eating cod and try to buy bristish whenever possible. I also try to buy veg in season for the same reasons (and because in winter I want to eat root veg and stews, not strawberries and asparagus) I am big on offal, as I believe that it is our duty to make use of every bit of an animal, not just take the choise bits, and it seems unethical to me to waste food when so many are starving.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 11:32:36 GMT
Charlie says:
Exactly how I think it should be done Bearman

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 11:46:33 GMT
And if we were prepared to pay a little more, wasted far less of every animal and cut down on our daily consumption a little bit more too, then that would surely make a huge difference in the long run. After all the 'conveyor belt' style of farming that we all seem to really loathe only came about simply to keep up with our excessive demands for 'cheap' meats.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 11:53:54 GMT
Bearman says:
Whoa there Suzy! I with you right up to the "cut down on daily consumption". I dont call myself bearman without good reason....... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 12:02:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 12:15:51 GMT
I'm talking about the Junk Food Generation Bearman? Not the serious cook like you?

The ones who think nothing of wandering around eating Chicken or Beef in a variety of different forms, several times a day, without even realising how much they are even doing it? Instead of a large wodge of mass-produced meat with every single meal and snack they eat, I'm sure that they could easily cut down to just once or twice a day instead?

It would definitely all help!

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 12:07:13 GMT
pixie says:
4-6 oz of meat per portion is probably enough. Buy better and eat less that's what I think...I can't stand great big hunks of meat on my plate it really puts me off! I like a couple of slices and lots of yummy veg.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 12:12:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 12:16:08 GMT
That's what I reckon too. My Cousin's kids must eat at least 3 - 4 times that in one day?! - meat probably makes up over 3/4's of their daily intake? - the bit of salad with their burger or deep-fried Chicken, and then the odd vegetable with their teatime meal is far more of a token gesture at supposedly healthy eating!

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 16:07:28 GMT
Spock says:
Yet another thing about me eating fish but no other meat.

How many more times can it be discussed before everyone else gets sick and tired of it?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:12:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 16:12:10 GMT
pixie says:
Spock...don't you like posting on here? We seem to be getting your goat for some reason, is there a problem?
Why don't you join in and tell us what YOU like to eat, a few recipes would be good.
What do you thnk? We aren't argumentative on here...there is enough of that elsewhere.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 16:16:01 GMT
Spock says:
It's just Sam keeps making the point of me not talking about my personal choices.

I have already posted my easy fondue, and am deciding what to post next.
Just a quick tip, if any of you are able, get a makro card, their prices are great, it is in bulk, and the food is good, but be careful, sometimes it is more expensive.

Any questions about products, just ask.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:27:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 16:28:27 GMT
pixie says:
I see Spock...Sam is really intersested as we are and started this thread so we could discuss the topic better...we mean no offence. Ok?
I have a Makro card and I agree the bargains are really good..I buy my cheese there...bag it up and freeze it. Saves plenty!

Edit...no need to be defensive with us, we are a good bunch!x

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 16:28:36 GMT
Bearman says:
What's a Makro card?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:31:28 GMT
This thread wasn't directed at any one person.

And "more times" implies that you've discussed it once.

I'm interested in how someone can justify eating certain animals while condemning the consumption of others. That's not an unreasonable topic of discussion.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (645 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
mmmm! what's for dinner 7785 1 hour ago
gossip and general chat about all things 214 21 hours ago
Our neighbours food delivery a few minutes ago 0 22 hours ago
Food related TV programmes 1625 1 day ago
Garlic crushers 92 1 day ago
New books! 6593 1 day ago
Belling or Stoves 900 Dual Fuel Range Cooker? Help! 112 2 days ago
No knead bread.........???? 53 13 days ago
Chili question for Indian pickle lovers 80 15 days ago
Halogen Oven 199 16 days ago
aaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! 1324 17 days ago
recipes... 419 18 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  13 Dec 2012
Latest post:  21 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions