Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Of wine, spirits, liqueurs and cocktails...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Nov 2012 12:48:26 GMT
OK, we've talked a lot about wines and cocktails and stuff on other threads. You can share recipes, ideas, information, whatever.
I wanna start this one with a question.
When I got married in 1983, the "in" cocktail was G and T or gin and lemon soda. I liked it, but gin has a nasty effect on my personality. My roommate (1982) went so far as to tell me, "Look if you're gonna drink gin, I'm not going out with you any more!" I am told gin makes me sarcastic, unpleasant and hurtful. Anyone have any idea why? No other spirits affect me that way. I'm not loud or violent drinker, I tend to go quiet and eventually go to sleep if it's wine or other stuff, but gin apparently turns me into the Guest from Hell.

Posted on 8 Nov 2012 13:04:18 GMT
Bearman says:
Hide the Bombay Saphire, there's a rabid womble in the room.

Ori, gin has a lot of aromatic herbs and spices added for flavour, so you may be having a reaction to one of those. Everyone knows about the Juniper, but gins can also contain lots of others such as (taken from Bombay label) coriander, cubeb berries, orris root, almonds, cassia bark, liquorice, angelica, lemon peel and grains of paradise (seeds from a plant in the ginger family). Have you ever had a problem with any of those? Other distillers will have their own blend of flavourings.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 13:15:39 GMT
Scarlet Lady says:
Mother's ruin!

Posted on 8 Nov 2012 15:41:14 GMT
Isobel Ayres says:
I love gin, but I tend to have one or two on a sunny summer afternoon and that's it. Otherwise, I'd usually have vodka (I'll drink vodka tonic, or a vodka martini, rather than gin).

Wine makes me giddy and giggly and silly. So does cider.

Posted on 8 Nov 2012 16:35:18 GMT
Favourite tipple: Henkel's Blanc de Blancs, as I have said before. But after 2 glasses it puts me out like a light. Not unconscious, I just sleep heavily for a couple of hours, which in itself is miraculous.

Favourite Cocktail: Excluding the Daddy I Don't Want to Drink This, I am partial to a margarita or a mojito. But made fresh, not poured out of a factory made premix bottle.

Posted on 8 Nov 2012 23:59:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2012 00:01:03 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
I have quite a high tolerance to "most" alcohol.
I can switch between strong lagers, real ales, Guinness or cider without ill effect.
If I'm at a BBQ or house party Ill get fed up with beers and choose either white wine or G&T.
I never get unpleasant but if I should switch to whiskey, brandy or rum , all of which I can tolerate singularly, I will become "amnesiac".
You may need to remind me of events - but rarely because I know my signals.
Orinoco, you room mate example is 30 years ago. I was often an "idiot" back then as we're many of my friends.
I have no idea of your circumstances.
A few weeks back one friend amongst ten of us at dinner ruined the night with aggressive language during a meal after drink.
He has recently had a health scare, was off work on far less money, is in the midst of reconstructing his kitchen and has a bucketload of stress.
I rationalised his behaviour as his internal stress corks popping.
None of us resent his outburst however "difficult" it made the evening.
We're too close to be embarrassed and we've seen all of us drop the ball at some time.
Back to you because I don't know enough.

Posted on 9 Nov 2012 08:00:00 GMT
Well it's true, I was a very unhappy person in those days. But I did learn simply to stay away from gin. DH says it smells like varnish, anyway. Here, in those days, I think it was usually Gordon's that they had in the bars. I've never read the label on a bottle of gin so I don't know if there were herbs etc in it.
I suppose, given Van Gogh's experience, I'm lucky nobody ever offered me absinthe...LOL

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2012 08:52:50 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
So would a single G&T make you unpleasant or was it a cumulative effect?
If I'm slightly loaded and switch to brandy I'd become incoherent and maybe fall asleep.
Most of the time though I'd be "silly" or "happy".
Maybe back then the cumulative effect was to release your unhappiness.
Does it still happen?

Posted on 9 Nov 2012 15:12:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2012 15:13:11 GMT
Oh one gin and whatever will do it. Granted, Spanish waiters are extremely freehanded when measuring spirits. No shot glasses or optics, they just upend the bottle over the glass and "jerk" it a couple of times!
I don't know if it still happens because I haven't touched gin since about 1985, under advisement from friends and family who wanted nowt more to do with me under its evil influence. Caustic is the word I was looking for.

These days it's a beer with tapas or wine with a nice meal, and then as I say I just get quiet and maybe sleepy.

Posted on 9 Nov 2012 15:19:26 GMT
Dan Fante says:
Yeah, I love the measures (if you can call them that) that you get in Spanish bars. It puts our 1/6 of a gill / 25mls to shame.

Posted on 9 Nov 2012 18:20:27 GMT
Now, there's another question!! Why are those spirit-measuring things in UK bars called "optics"? I suppose you would need a seeing eye dog if you drank enough, but...?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2012 18:29:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2012 18:30:20 GMT
Ori,

Optic is the trademarked name of a particular drink measuring device that has become a general term for such things.

Posted on 9 Nov 2012 18:46:10 GMT
Oh! Ok, thanks. Kind of like a Kleenex to mean "facial tissue" or Scotch tape or "the Xerox machine" (which before that was the Thermofax). Now I can stop going round with my hair clenched.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2012 22:57:54 GMT
Isobel Ayres says:
I love a proper mohoito, or a good cosmopolitan but favourite us always a vodka martini, three olives. Lovely!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2012 23:00:02 GMT
Isobel Ayres says:
I suppose 'optic' because you can see the measure sitting in it?

Posted on 10 Nov 2012 10:35:08 GMT
Scarlet Lady says:
Gin makes me Sin, Whisky makes me Frisky and Brandy makes me Randy (soz could not resist)

Posted on 10 Nov 2012 10:56:08 GMT
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker!

Posted on 10 Nov 2012 21:04:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Nov 2012 20:41:57 GMT
A. bailey says:
I remember my friends 18thparty I was drinking gin and orange ,they had to break down the bathroom door and get me up off the floor,rather embarrassing on the bus to college on monday morning..last time I had gin...I drink vodka now ,wine just makes me silly and loud.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2012 21:42:24 GMT
pixie says:
Ouzo...bad! Got really out of my box on that!....wine and Gin for me..cocktails too!

Posted on 10 Nov 2012 21:47:15 GMT
After years of trial and error, settled on wine. White with ice in the summer, red with water in the winter. Can't drink it neat any more, must be getting old! Hubby loves Beefeater gin with Schweppes tonic. We don't drink much these days. Just a couple of times a week. Out here drink is cheap. People go two ways, after living here for a few years. Either they slowly drink less and less or become dependent. We have a long bar in our lounge, a hang over from our guest house days. It's full of weird liquers, left by our guests. I pour it into cakes for Christmas, but otherwise it just gathers dust.

Posted on 11 Nov 2012 05:49:12 GMT
I bought a bottle of Ouzo once at Lidl...smelled like rotting oranges to me but DH liked it.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2012 08:32:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Nov 2012 08:35:19 GMT
pixie says:
supposed to be aniseed Ori! Lol!

I used to drink it because we used to go to an "all in" night club where the price of your ticket included drinks and a buffet ( of sorts!) and the only drink they couldn't water down was ouzo..cos it went cloudy! I was such a lush in those days!*blush*

Posted on 11 Nov 2012 09:34:48 GMT
I just realised the other day that I never see Marie Brizard anisette anymore. It was syrupy thick and sweet...and deadly. *Never* get drunk on anisette, I never have but have seen people who did. They say it's the world's worst hangover. I remember being fond of MB as a student, but in hotels if you asked for a plain shot it would be half the price of the same drink with ice, though I don't think you got any more liqueur. Never figured that out.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2012 09:46:07 GMT
pixie says:
I had the mother of all hangovers when I got giddy on that..
The only thing that came close was a christmas binge on some strong lager...felt like I had a chopper in my head! Lol!

Posted on 11 Nov 2012 18:20:10 GMT
For a brief period there was a bar near the local uni that sold Kilkenny Red and Black. I liked the taste of the red, but it would give me an immediate headache about halfway through a pint. Like a needle stuck right between my eyebrows! Never had the desire to get drunk on it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (628 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
aaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! 1305 5 hours ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 6824 11 hours ago
food processor or kitchen aid??? 19 16 hours ago
Food related TV programmes 1582 20 hours ago
I want to pass on a tip... 817 1 day ago
recipes... 245 2 days ago
Happy New Year all!! 2 3 days ago
For those of us that would like to lose some weight 2154 4 days ago
Two small burners and a grill 3 5 days ago
What is/was "milk food"?? 15 6 days ago
Actifry sweet potato fries 5 6 days ago
Tablet for Kitchen 2 6 days ago
ARRAY(0xb3d233fc)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  8 Nov 2012
Latest post:  11 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions