Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

How long to warm an oven?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Apr 2012 17:21:31 BDT
Jeraldo says:
I've recently purchased a Rangemaster dual fuel cooker which has had a few issues with it. One thing we've noticed is that the ovens take a long time to warm up. The main fan oven heats in around 10-15 mins and the multi-function oven, when on fan, around 15 mins (these are to around 180 degrees). However, when on conventional mode, the oven seems to take ages - up to 20-25 mins to heat up. Surely this can't be right? Any comments?

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 07:30:21 BDT
Try putting your oven out in the garden when the Sun is out or alternately buy it an overcoat and gloves and a hat etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 12:51:53 BDT
Jeraldo says:
I'm just splitting my sides laughing ...

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 22:49:54 BDT
Our double oven smegg takes about 10 mins for fan but at least about 20 mins for conventional - as they are only 1 kw / 1.2 kw. I think that's about average. 'In the old days' ovens were up to 3kw or more.

Posted on 1 May 2012 19:30:42 BDT
Only ever had a 'conventional' oven and have always allowed 20-30 mins to heat up. In the olden (very!) days was taught by Granny and at school this was approx time for oven heating activity.

Mmm think I'll try the gloves and coat but don't think I'll manage to get it over the step into the garden, anyway the gas pipe isn't long enough.

Posted on 7 May 2012 15:14:43 BDT
Mum of 3 says:
Sounds right to me. We have Cannon Range Oven 6 burner with double oven, 1 fan assisted and 1 conventional, both gas.

Kirsty Law
Watford, Herts

Posted on 8 May 2012 13:58:03 BDT
Duotrans says:
It will be right which is why it is always better to use the fan oven
The conventional oven takes longer as it heats the air up by heat transferring through still air.
The fan moves the cold air nearer to the heat source.
Same principle of drying your washing on a hot sunny day. It will dry quickly but add a strong wind and it dries even quicker.
Obviously this is a reverse principle

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 20:51:23 BDT
tabby says:
probably about right if in doubt call the manufacturer they will explain it for you.

Posted on 9 May 2012 21:18:17 BDT
Lazy Kipper says:
30 mins is usual for a non-fan-assisted oven. As others have commented, the fan oven heats up a lot quicker.

Posted on 11 May 2012 09:16:01 BDT
I always give my lovely little Baby Belling a big kiss and a cuddle before putting my fruitcakes in - it warms up a treat then.
If in doubt - always try a little tenderness! x

Posted on 11 May 2012 10:50:21 BDT
Nic says:
I agree with Lazy Kipper and I would also purchase an oven thermometer as some ovens as you take ages and others don't

Posted on 11 May 2012 11:16:05 BDT
ivoor says:
I reckon, if you put a tray in the oven with a gallon of petrol in it chuck a lighted match in to it, safe to say it will be roasting hot in seconds.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 11:30:44 BDT
pixie says:
That's called a BBQ isn't it?....well that's how my ex neighbour used to do it, it stunk!

Posted on 11 May 2012 17:48:47 BDT
Could tuck it up with a hot water bottle?
:o>

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 17:49:55 BDT
pixie says:
nah! that's a steam oven!

Posted on 11 May 2012 18:05:55 BDT
Nah, got one of them Pixie but it was useless! It spent every weekend wrapped in a towel having a Spa Day Experience in next-door's sauna. My 40 year old Baby Belling rocks my world! x

Posted on 11 May 2012 18:31:18 BDT
pixie says:
I had one of them too, when I lived in Gibraltar in the '70s I had to cut up a chicken cos it wouldn't fit! Had lovely dinners on that though. When I moved into married quarters in Gosport had a "New world" cooker..out the ark but I loved it. Had to cover it in Foil though so it was clean for the outmuster!

Posted on 11 May 2012 18:46:07 BDT
Mine was bought by my Great-Nan for my Nanna who then gave it to my Mum. It bakes beautiful fruitcakes and light, fluffy scones - I take no credit for them at all - it is all down to my little Belling! It's a genuine family hierloom.

My neighbour gives it loving looks and drops hints whenever I bake for her but I'll never part with it - it has only needed fixing twice in 40 years of daily use. She has a fan oven (Concept Solarglo) and hates it so much she never uses it - just the ceramic hob on top. x

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 18:56:04 BDT
pixie says:
Fan ovens...never! I have an Aga, no knobs to twiddle no nuffink, it's either raw, done or burnt!

Posted on 11 May 2012 19:08:12 BDT
I'm planning to get an Aga,.....
when I finally settle down, marry my handsome millionaire and move to my large country estate in Norfolk to run my Donkey Sanctuary,..... sigh,..... a girl can dream can't she?!

Till then my little Baby Belling in my little house in the suburbs of Stockport will do nicely!

- Make me jealous Pixie! - are Agas really as wonderful as all us Country Living fantasists believe? x

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 19:19:50 BDT
pixie says:
you know what? They are great, but not in that Aga saga kind of way that middle class novels would have you believe...I know someone in London that has an Aga, polishes it every day but has never used it! How flipping sad is that! The oven gets dirty, the top I mean, because you use it, the inside cleans itself. you can only really clean it when it's off and it come in many guises...log burning ancient ones, gas, coal logs. has lots of differnt types ie esse and rayburn...each of them is wonderful. I've seen baby lambs kept warm by them, dogs sleep by them, washing dries on and above them. They keep you warm when you wake in the night and go downstairs to make a cup of tea. They are always on. When friends come and visit the first thing they do is stand by the age warming their backsides. They are wonderful but....sadly the price of oil is rising and putting people off. But I wouldn't be without mine. If I have to turn it off it's like the heart has gone from my kitchen! As you can tell I'm a fan!

Posted on 11 May 2012 19:26:31 BDT
Sigh,.....yep! - I'm jealous!!! You lucky girl!

Even my two little dogs are looking over my shoulder and sighing - I'd better go get that lottery ticket then!

Best Wishes x suzysunshine7 x

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 19:29:10 BDT
pixie says:
you too! I have a cairne terrier and a border terrier and they fight over the best place beside the aga, the border wins at the moment as she is unwell, got cushing disease, poor little egg. The cat sneaks in too sometimes, so we all happy!

Posted on 11 May 2012 19:48:06 BDT
We have two of the Heinz 57 variety. Sisters from litter of 5 from RSPCA. Told before we went over to Chesterfield that they were collie-cross pups but on our arrival they had been agreed on as part labrador.

There were 2 pure black, 1 pure white and 2 bright ginger pups to choose from!

Four years on, we have one little shaggy black/beige 'Dulux Paint' type and one medium short fluffy black/mocha whippet type with a cute Jack Russell face.

Think their mother must have been having a very good time indeed with every dog in her area! There is no way, any of her pups had the same daddy! x

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 20:22:11 BDT
pixie says:
But you love 'em to bits! Me too, can't stand to see my little 'un suffer. She is a bit better since being on the medication. The vet warned us that it would be £80 a month for the tabs, thank goodness I use Petmeds website. They fill perscriptions for half the price. It's such a good website suzy and if you use topcashback you get double savings. p&p free! Don't care what it costs would go without myself for them...they are lovely!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (661 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
New books! 6834 10 hours ago
Christmas Vodka 3 19 hours ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 8436 1 day ago
Gourmet Kitchenware 20 1 day ago
Leisure Range Cookers - design fault? 22 2 days ago
Halogen Oven 232 4 days ago
Frying pans 19 5 days ago
Carving Roast Duck 14 5 days ago
Which steam cleaner for oven 102 5 days ago
Make ahead cold canapes 20 6 days ago
What was the last food you bought out of curiousity? 125 8 days ago
gossip and general chat about all things 332 9 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  29 Apr 2012
Latest post:  24 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions