Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

My devilish secret treat... what's yours?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Posted on 18 Aug 2012 13:34:37 BDT
pixie says:
Salad cream sandwiches! yikes! I used to love those and brown sauce sandwiches...and tomato ketchup..wasn't there a cartoon in the Mirror years ago that had a small child that ate tomato sauce sandwiches and at the end of the cartoon someone got squished when it shot out from between the bread!? Can anyone remember?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2012 11:21:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Aug 2012 11:23:05 BDT
I'm only 5 foot, one. Oh, plus an imaginary 3/4's of an inch too!!!.....
The 3/4's are actually very, very important! You had to be 5 foot, two, to be able to train as a nurse when I applied - so I was very naughty and cheated and put down 5 foot, one and 3/4's on my form!!!

Then I went for my physical fitness test and they measured me and found me out! The Assessment Officer could see how desperately keen I was, so he winked at me, and suggested that his tape measure might possibly be faulty? and he passed me!!! And I have hung on to my 3/4's of an inch ever since!!! ;o>

Posted on 18 Aug 2012 11:04:01 BDT
Oops. So one my favourite little treats of using up any leftover boiled potatoes, or a bowl of rice, peas, finely sliced raw peppers and sweetcorn - and then eating them ice cold from the fridge, having stirred through a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and a very good dollop of Heinz Salad Cream really isn't going to be your idea of heaven then, kittycat?!?!?!?! - still all the more for me then!!! - yummy, yummy!!! :o>

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2012 10:59:44 BDT
Youngest son grew up on salad cream sandwiches. All the others were easy to feed, but he was terrible. It was the only thing he'd eat. Didn't stunt his growth, he's six six!

Posted on 18 Aug 2012 07:13:53 BDT
My grandad always used to eat cheese and jam sandwiches. The guilty passion of the males in my family is salad cream sandwiches, it seems to be almost genetic with them and all ages eat this. The very thought of salad cream makes me feel ill.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2012 09:19:40 BDT
pixie says:
Yikes! what a combination...made me grin this morning!

Posted on 16 Aug 2012 07:28:07 BDT
Cheese on toast (welsh rarebit) with strawberry jam spread on the melted cheese, it's a northern thing!
Also try cheese and onion crisps and chocolate together.

Posted on 16 Aug 2012 06:27:17 BDT
It's hard to beat mature cheddar sprinkled with worcestershire sauce and toasted on a fresh soda farl.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2012 11:53:06 BDT
Scarlet Lady says:
bin juice?

Posted on 15 Aug 2012 11:46:31 BDT
wobberoo says:
My devilish secret treat, ( no longer a secret ) is what I can only describe as a soup. It's a vague description, as I've given it a name all of it's own. And the awesome treat, I'm going to reveal to you all, is bin juice. It's quite lovely, unavailable in any shops, and for those of us watching the 'pennies', it's free ! What's not to like?

Posted on 15 Aug 2012 11:17:28 BDT
Cold mashed potato on hot toast with butter and a little bit of salt sprinkled on top........it's a taste sensation!! Yummy

Posted on 11 Aug 2012 17:11:02 BDT
pixie says:
peanut butter sandwiches on new bread!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 13:11:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Aug 2012 13:15:23 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
French, In early marriage I bought a crab and took it home to dress it myself. Only make sure to buy the crab on the same day you are going to eat it,

I carefully followed the instructions in my then new copy of Good Housekeeping cookery book. I was confused at one stage where it says to remove and discard the "dead mans fingers" as there was no picture of what they were but I soon found them.

Fresh crab beats the crabsticks 200% for flavour.

Still love them though.

I am even fonder of lobster and my favourite going-out meal was Lobster Chop Suey but I was a lot slimmer then. I used to go to the restaurant wearing a skirt with adjustable waist as after we had eaten there the first time I found my skirt unbearably tight.

Posted on 11 Aug 2012 13:07:18 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
Not so secret as I believe this is common in the North East of England,

I was at a charity dinner once sharing a table with Sir Bobby and his brother Jackie Charlton - When they brought the cheese course around they stopped me from eating the cheese and we saved it till the wine and cake arrived. The toast was given and then we ate the rich fruit cake with the cheese on it. It is delicious and whenever I have fruitcake in the house the cheese gets eaten along with it.

Try it.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 10:17:35 BDT
pixie says:
Feta cheese?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 05:00:26 BDT
Cheshire cheese?

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 23:05:19 BDT
Hot cross buns or tea cakes toasted and buttered with slices of cheddar, wensleydale or that nice white salty crumbly cheese that I can,t remember the name of........lovely for lunch, well anytime actually.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 04:18:34 BDT
frenchie says:
Yummy, can I share with you (the crusty roll and the cheddar)? you can have the wine all for yourself *smile*
Now that I am thinking of it, I love cheddar cheese as much as crabsticks.

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 21:37:29 BDT
Doublell says:
Strong cheddar cheese in a crusty roll and a large glass of Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Bliss.

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 04:00:17 BDT
frenchie says:
And good night to Roo too.
Oh, I am making rhymes.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 03:58:24 BDT
X !

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 03:56:26 BDT
frenchie says:
Night Night Sunshine xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 03:55:38 BDT
X ! - still going to bed though!!! - hee, hee, hee!!! Night French x

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 03:53:47 BDT
frenchie says:
Tomorrow is today Sunshine.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 03:51:46 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Aug 2012 08:56:12 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (664 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Halogen Oven 234 7 hours ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 8505 9 hours ago
Where can I buy bilberries in the UK? 153 10 hours ago
Turkey advice 6 18 hours ago
New books! 6843 22 hours ago
Leftovers 3 1 day ago
Merry Christmas! 4 4 days ago
Christmas Vodka 6 7 days ago
Gourmet Kitchenware 20 9 days ago
Leisure Range Cookers - design fault? 22 10 days ago
Frying pans 19 13 days ago
Carving Roast Duck 14 13 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  24 Jul 2012
Latest post:  18 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions