Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

I'd like to know....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jan 2013 20:17:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2013 20:18:35 GMT
pixie says:
Stubbs Mesquite Liquid Smoke - 148ml I bought a bottle of this from Harrods about 18 years ago not knowing what I should use it for...My cookbook collection was more "European" than American and I was at a loss what to do with it...it got chucked!...eventually.But today I bought a new bottle..Yay!
When, in later years I found recipes calling for liquid smoke I used smoked paprika...but it didn't quite "do"it...since that time I have bought alot of American books and once again I have purchased a bottle. So...has anyone used it? Are you pleased with the results and does it give you brain ache?....cos some smoked food gives me a migraine.

Posted on 5 Jan 2013 21:35:36 GMT
I'll flog you a bottle of steam, if you like!!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 21:36:34 GMT
pixie says:
In exchange for a clip round the roolug!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 23:05:10 GMT
My Brother-in-law brought some back from visiting his friends in Texas in the 1990s. We used it on some of the food we cooked on his "Macedonian Barbecue", a 90cm diameter sheet of 12mm armour plate (left over scrap from work) sitting on the well-heaped coals in a normal BBQ tub.

It was all new to me at the time, so I don't remember much about it or how it tasted, but he is a superb raconteur and his build-up (true or not - who knows, who cared) and the way he produced the bottle of "Liquid Smoke" left a lasting impression.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 23:21:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2013 23:22:28 GMT
pixie says:
I remember it was quite expensive at the time but it was my treat on a shopping trip to Harrods...the food hall was my fav place, full of exotic ingredients. Didn't know what half of them were for. Came home with the "Smoke" and a lovely unusual bread!
I made Tequila lime chicken tonight for dinner and was looking at other recipes for it on line. There was a canadian one that included Liquid smoke. The Ina one I cooked didn't. I shall have another go using it and see how it turns out.
Seems it must have been good if your brother in law bought some back from a trip! Will let you know.

Posted on 6 Jan 2013 08:29:58 GMT
It's impossible to get here and I wish I had some. You use it mostly in marinades or in things you want to taste like you grilled but actually baked in the oven.
About the migraines, I couldn't say. Here's the ingredient list from the Stubbs website: Water, Soy Sauce (Water, Salt, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Syrup, Caramel Coloring), Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Mesquite Smoke Flavor, Caramel Coloring, Garlic and Onion Powder, Spice.
Are any of those on your "Avoid" list?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2013 08:52:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2013 08:54:18 GMT
pixie says:
It's funny looking at the ingredients...how does that make "smoke" Lol.
The other night on the radio they were talking about Fructose corn syrup and how that has been added to food by manufacturers since the 80's and how some people in the know credit it with the rise of diabetes and obesity. It has an odd effect on our bodies it seems. The "expert" that phoned in wants the government to think about having it removed from products along with the vast amounts of salt and sugar. It was an interesting talk.
Thanks for the info Ori...I take it you just add a spot or two?x

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2013 11:41:51 GMT
Hmm, I don't know how relevant this is to the 'corn syrup - diabetes' link, so take my anecdotal evidence with lots of metaphorical salt.

When I lived in Africa in the 1950s and 1960s we had a pair of large dogs, and they often had eczema. One day the Vet rang up, all excited; "I have the answer, don't feed them the dog food, it has maize starch in it as the bulking agent. Give them rice instead." So thereafter we cooked the dogs food ourselves - cheap meat (plentiful out there) some veg and the rice. Plus the daily Vetzyme pill as before. The eczema never returned and the dogs' coats had a much better sheen to them.

We used to eat quite a lot of maize as well ourselves, 'corn on the cob', the maize porridge, cornflakes, etc, because it was the cheapest staple. My Mum thought about it, and we stopped eating it as well, and guess what my own eczema also vanished, and my skin reactions to scratches with grass pollen etc in them (from playing with the dogs) were also very much reduced. Same with my sister.

So our family had a reaction to maize. But we also have noticed over the years feeling unwell after eating some foods and when looking at the ingredients the maize is always a common major factor. Small quantities, no problem, but when it is the main ingredient, then it is not just possible, but probable we have a slight reaction.

So how does it link to diabetes? I don't know, but for the last five decades our family has minimised our consumption of maize based products, and that includes 'corn syrup'.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2013 11:55:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2013 11:58:17 GMT
pixie says:
Since writing my previous post I've had a look at Fructose corn syrup and read some interesting things about it on line. It seems that it is in nearly everything pre-made. The worst culprit is soft drinks/fizzy drinks and the suggestion is not to buy them. The liver can't handle it. Luckily for me I have never been a fan although I know a lot of my friends in work drank nothing but fizzy cans all day! I was worried for their teeth but that seems to be the least of the problems it can cause. I will be looking at ingredients on the packet a bit more closely!

Edit..I give my dog cooked rice too and she loves it.

Posted on 6 Jan 2013 12:09:11 GMT
C. Davis says:
If these are:- fuse buld 2.5v.0.2a, 0.5w and bulbs 2.5v, 0.18a, 0.45w then iwould be very interested in buying them, any chance of a picture of the details? Thank you. Happy new year.

Posted on 6 Jan 2013 12:37:36 GMT
pixie says:
4 Clear Crystal Push In Spare Bulbs 2.5v 0.2a 0.5w & 1 Fuse Bulb (SB65) Is this any help C Davis? This is a cookery forum so I think the bike forum or one of the cyclist might be of better help.

Posted on 6 Jan 2013 12:38:57 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 6 Jan 2013 12:39:42 GMT]

Posted on 6 Jan 2013 17:55:50 GMT
In the US since HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) is now known to be addictive as well as horrible for you, they want to pass a law or whatever to call it "corn sugar." I guess that makes it better?

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 13:14:12 GMT
Bearman says:
I buy this Stubbs Mesquite Liquid Smoke - 148ml every so often for my American ball and chain. It makes a very good marinade for slow cooked (or sous vide) pork belly. We don't use it very often, but it is a good flavour with or without doctoring. Its particularly good on ribs with a bit of maple syrup and some bourbon added.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 13:34:58 GMT
pixie says:
Thank you Bearman...I look forward to experimenting with it.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 13:36:05 GMT
Bearman says:
My pleasure - any time :-)
Your reply to Bearman's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 15:46:22 GMT
Spock says:
Stubbs Mesquite and Hickory Liquid Smoke - 148ml 2 of each!!
Seen this?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 15:50:12 GMT
pixie says:
Thank you Spock..I did notice but thought I'd try the original one first and see how it goes, but I'll keep it in mind Ta!

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 15:54:19 GMT
Spock says:
Your welcme.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 16:01:11 GMT
You can also make "fakon" (fake bacon) with smoke flavour and tofu and some fixings. I think there's one on VegWeb. I don't go there much since the new management basically drove the people off the boards.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (639 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  5 Jan 2013
Latest post:  7 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions