Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Recipe Lost and Found

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 129 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 Jan 2013 20:45:36 GMT
Well, I certainly "Found" this recipe quite by accident. I was reading John Stienbeck's "Sweet Thursday" aloud to the husband when we came across the term "flop cake." I had never, ever heard the term so of course...Google's your friend. Turns out to be a simple cinnamon coffee cake. Who knew?
I haven't made one since I was in highschool which is what? About 35 years ago...so I may, one of these days, just to prove I can. If I can find a cake pan big enough. I've never seen a 9x13inch pan here in 30 years, but then women don't do much cake-baking. In Spanish minds, that's what God gave us confectioners' shops for.

CINNAMON FLOP OR MORAVIAN COFFEE CAKE
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 beaten egg
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
1 c. brown sugar
4 tbsp. butter
Cinnamon
Cream together 1 1/2 cups sugar with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Add beaten egg. Sift flour and baking powder together and add alternately with milk to sugar and butter mixture. Spread evenly in greased 8"x8" pan. Cover with brown sugar and dot with 4 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon. Bake 20 minutes at 425 degrees. Serve warm.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 20:50:37 GMT
Spock says:
Congratulations on reply 100!

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 20:55:53 GMT
Why thank you, kind sir!
Finish your stock of Glitter berry yet?

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 21:15:10 GMT
Spock says:
On christmas eve, had none since, except for 4, for 2 pounds, next to no glitter, and small bottles.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 22:19:31 GMT
Sounds lovely, I adore cinnamon.i am always amazed when you tell us how little Spanish housewives actually cook, I thought it was just us Brits that were building houses with very small kitchens and even without room for a cooker or a table and chairs, what is the world coming to...can you imagine having no-where to cook or eat by choice????

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 06:49:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jan 2013 06:50:12 GMT
Or having to pay handsomely for real food and having no choice about it...ugh.
Spanish women used to cook, all right. They shopped every day and cooked every meal fresh. That was 30 years ago, and even 20. I'm 5 ft 7 or 8, and when I married in 82 our first fridge was about 4 ft 10, freezing unit included. (Well I say "freezing unit.") But kitchens have always been tiny because, after all, Mum was the only one who lifted a finger in the house. DH would sit in a chair and ask his mum to bring him a glass of water! And she would! Until he got the standard response I was raised with: "What's the matter, is your leg broken?" LOL
My MIL was a tiny woman, and most Spanish women of her generation and DH's are about 5 ft or so. So I kept hitting myself in the face with cupboard doors! When we got the new units I made sure I was on the spot to tell them how high to hang them!
I have to say though, pastry and cakes have always been made by the pros here because it's an artform. And they used to be scandalous cheap, for very good stuff. Now they're just scandalously priced.
Resisting the temptation to make this cake...must lose a couple of kg first!!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 07:25:24 GMT
I am so glad that I am not a great fan of Cinnamon, Orinoco!
Because this cake sounds really easy to make and seriously yummy!

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 07:27:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jan 2013 07:37:21 GMT
Last food word was 'cake' - ???, so.....

Eggs, devilled - Hee, Hee, Hee!!! ;o>

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 09:02:58 GMT
Charlie says:
Suzy I think your cake batter may have fermented. Lol, made me smile this morn. No mean feat due to the total sleep deprivation Jack is dishing up at the mo xx

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 09:11:36 GMT
Bearman says:
Suzy - wake up girl! - you are doing it again. Now I will have to give you detention - write out a thousand time "I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads".

You are a very naughty girl - now go to my room ;-)

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 11:22:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jan 2013 11:23:02 GMT
"I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads". "I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads". "I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads". "I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads". "I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads". "I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads". "I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads". "I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads". "I will not play the Food Word Game on other threads".......

Can I stop now please, Bearman?.....(*Big X !*)

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 11:24:39 GMT
Bearman says:
Oh all right - but don't do it again.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 11:27:02 GMT
Ohhh I won't honestly?.....(*innocent wide-eyed look - fingers crossed behind back*).....thank you Bear! :o>

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 11:35:21 GMT
My Grandad would put a generous drop of the hard stuff in my bottle, Charlie?

And it never did me any harm?.....(*HICCUP!*).....!!!

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 11:41:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jan 2013 11:43:15 GMT
Bearman says:
My father was a GP and swore by "Phenergan". It is an antihistamine for young children, but has has sedating side effects. It used to be available over the counter (probably still is) and from what my dad used to say, was used far more to help children sleep, than for its antihistamine effect.

There were some reports that it could make clinically hyperactive children even worse, but that was very rare.

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 12:00:06 GMT
Bearman says:
Just checked the Electronic Medicines Compendium which is the official listing for UK pharmaceuticals and it lists the indications for Phenergan as :

4.1 Therapeutic indications
As symptomatic treatment for allergic conditions of the upper respiratory tract and skin including allergic rhinitis, urticaria and anaphylactic reactions to drugs and foreign proteins.

As an adjunct in preoperative sedation in surgery and obstetrics.

As an antiemetic.

For short term use:

Sedation and treatment of insomnia in adults.

As a paediatric sedative.

But it is not for use in children under 2yo

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 12:14:12 GMT
They don't sell it here in Spain anymore. Teens liked to just drink it out of the bottle. It did taste nice, but still.

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 15:54:27 GMT
Spock says:
Phenergan- Yuck.
Anyone noticxed?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 17:47:38 GMT
Me!.....x

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 19:06:29 GMT
Charlie says:
Are you guys suggesting I drug my children to get some sleep?? Lol, ironic as jack has just been prescribed piriton ( antihistamine) as he's having an allergic reaction to penecillin. I took it once and fell asleep on the back of my friends fireblade (big fast motorbike ;)) eek.

Posted on 10 Jan 2013 01:50:35 GMT
wobberoo says:
I've just had a couple of litres of this Phenergan stuff. I'm bouncing off of the walls !!!!

Posted on 10 Jan 2013 09:36:04 GMT
Bearman says:
Just relaying the options - phenergan is an old, well know, and much loved answer used by doctors. No personal opinion intended!!!

Posted on 10 Jan 2013 09:53:06 GMT
Bearman says:
As a couple of you know, I have a certain fondness for the occasional fish finger sandwich, and much to Suzy's horror, I usually have mayonaise and cheddar (not ketchup) in it. Well last night I was left to my own devices when the light of my life was driving an recalcitrant teenage son back form a university interview in Liverpool, so I thought that instead of cooking a proper meal I used the opportunity to indulge in a FFS. Horror - no mayonaise in the house! Being too lazy to make any, I dug through the fridge looking for alternatives and found a tub of Taramasalata. Wow !- no more cheddar and mayo in my FFS in future, taramasalata is the way to go. I just need to think up a new name, as "Fish Finger Sandwich with Taramasalata" is too clunky. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2013 10:05:45 GMT
Ta-ra-ra Fish-this-way?.....instead of Ta-ra-ra Boom-de-ay?!! ;o>

Posted on 10 Jan 2013 10:11:59 GMT
Bearman says:
mmmmmm........
Your reply to Bearman's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (711 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  129
Initial post:  10 Oct 2012
Latest post:  10 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions