In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 20:03:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2012 20:05:01 GMT
If you were in need of Rats - go to the Quartermaster's Stores

There were Rats Rats big as Freaking Cats - in the stores in the stores
There were mice mice eating all the rice in the Quartermaster's Stores
My eyes are dim I cannot see
I have not brought my Spec's with me
I Have no-ot brought my specs with me

that goes back to the Second World war - 1939 - 1945 - but I cannot sing the rest - Children might be watching - I was seven - when a boy-friend of my Mama's taught me the "song" - I learned "the Old Bazaar in Cairo" from one of the others - now that my dear Sam may explain my weird sense of humour - you could Google for the Titles and certainly get one of the "Cleaned-Up" versions.
When I was in College (prior to finishing at UNI) I was the oldest student in class - and when one fellow pupil dismissed the war as history - a wee girl - half his size went for him - little vixen she were - "Don't dismiss it has history - Patti was part of it and got "Bombed Out" - those were the days - Being a child without a Teddy in those days is likely the reason I love the Wombles so much - I hope you do not mind Orinoco.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 20:17:30 GMT
Bear in mind Sam my formula for reproving a person who calls you weird -

"Ok hon - if you are Normal - I'll take weird any day of the week"

I should have been with Nanny Ogg when she went on a Trip with Granny Weatherwax "~Witches Abroad" it was hysterical - I would have been Nanna Patti - who makes hideous things happen to wicked spiteful people

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 06:53:31 GMT
Errrrr excuse me?!!.....you speak for yourself there, Sammie boy!!!

I'm as 'normal' as you are!!! - Ohhh?!!.....well, Roo then?! - Ahhh?!!.....Patricia?! - Bearman?! - Banana Boy?! - Spock?! - Pixie?! - Diamond?!.....Stella?!?!?!

Hmmm?!! okay then?!.....you MAY just have a (HUGE!) point there!!! ;o>

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 06:59:06 GMT
My Dad taught me to sing that one holiday, when we spent hours in the car, Patricia?!! - HA HA HA!!!

Ohhh dear?.....I guess that does explain why we do share the same 'weird' sense of humour then?!! :o>

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 07:50:46 GMT
Sure -it's great fun - I had the fun of learning the "Barrack-Room" version of it from my lovely husband - now he was another one - a crazy sense of humour

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 08:28:20 GMT
I too have a very "inconvenient" sense of humour having grown up in the 60s as the youngest of 10 with many older brothers, several in the Army in one capacity or another. They'd come home on leave and sit in the kitchen sipping coffee and swapping stories, and telling off colour jokes...woe is me, the day the 4 year old "got" the joke before anyone else...LOL
I don't mind being loved, Patti!

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 08:51:48 GMT
Bearman says:
I am an inappropriate laugher. MY boss always comments that she knows things are bad when I start giggling and laughing too much around the office. I can't help trying to lighten the mood in bad situations, even when its not the right thing to do in the circumstances.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 09:46:31 GMT
pixie says:
Bet you are in hysterics then Bearman with the end of the world prophecy! I'll have to slap you with a wet lettuce leaf if you don't stop!xx

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 11:18:27 GMT
OK Pixie - I shall help - Thrash him with a handful of Cold Boiled Noodles - that'll larn him

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 11:55:05 GMT
My Dad's version wasn't very rude? - but it was very silly and always had me in hysterics.....

There were Eggs, Eggs, with short, fat hairy legs in the stores, in the stores,
There were Fleas, Fleas, a' nibblin' at your knees in the Quartermaster's stores!

There were Bats, Bats, as big as ruddy Cats, in the stores, in the stores,
There were Ants, Ants, wearing Grandad's underpants in the Quartermaster's stores!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 12:17:23 GMT
Oh Splendid stuff - I love that version - it is fun to be silly sometimes - I try to do something daft every day

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 12:37:17 GMT
Ahhh memories! My Grandad always used to sit me on his knee and say this in a very deep scary voice? -

The Night was dark and stormy! - and the wind was blowing wild! And the Miller said to his daughter - I'll tell you a tale?.....And the tale went on like this, you know?!.....The Night was dark and stormy! - and the wind was blowing wild! And the Miller said to his daughter - I'll tell you a tale?.....And the tale went on like this, you know?!.....The Night was dark and stormy! - and the wind was blowing wild! And the Miller said to his daughter - I'll tell you a tale?.....And the tale went on like this, you know?!.....

Apparently, I used to start yelling at him at that point to stop being 'a naughty Grandy' and to tell it to me properly next time! - I was utterly convinced that he was doing it deliberately just to tease me, but it seems that he wouldn't, simply because he couldn't?! as that was all there was to it! - I've absolutely no idea where he got it from though?!.....Does anybody else know it? :o>

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 13:21:48 GMT
Oh we had one like that -

The Night was dark and stormy - and the wind howled in the Trees and as the men sat around the fire one of them said "Hey Cap'n tell us one of your stories - So The Cap'n began -

"The Night was Dark and stormy ...............

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 13:24:43 GMT
"My name is Yon Yonson, I live in Visconsin, I vork in de lumberyard dere. And when I walk down the street, all the people I meet, dey holler, "Vat's your name?" and I say: My name is Yon Yonson, I live..."

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 13:45:51 GMT
Ohhh brilliant!!!.....I usually get totally blank looks when I start reminiscing about stuff my Grandad told me, and sadly he died when I was eight, so I have never known where he picked at least half of it up? He was the one who gave me my family nickname of "suzysunshine". And he learnt to read and write only a few years before he died, after years of struggling and hiding his illiteracy from everyone, just so that he could read to me from my book of fairy stories? - he was a truly wonderful man.....x
Your reply to suzysunshine7's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 13:53:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Dec 2012 13:55:36 GMT
When I heard that one Ori - it had another bit in the middle

"My name it bane Yonson, Ai come von Visconsin Ai vork in Timberyard - bane ride to de voodyard on Yim Hill's red Vagon vid Axel Handl mine Vriend .......

Sometimes it ended Vid axe handle in mine HAND

Either way - it got round to saying
Ven I valk down de street good people I meet and me dey greet
"Who you bin" - and I say - my name it bane Yonson ..........

Suzy love - some of the old humour was very good and I am comfortable with both - but I kinda like to "vidout alla dat cussin and sveraing"
Nicht Wahr ???

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 13:54:47 GMT
Both my granddads died before I was born, Suzy. Cherish those memories.

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 13:59:08 GMT
Oh my Mom's Daddy - Nonno (my Italian Grand-dad) I met him and he was lovely - talked like a Stage Italian - picking something up - saying
"Whose - a - belonga THIS" - it is not that he looked like Marlon Brando - but he Copied Don Corleone in his Autocratic manner

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 14:07:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Dec 2012 14:23:32 GMT
Ich kann mir gut glauben, dass!!! - HA HA HA!!! - LOL!!!
Grandad would say - "it ain't ever blue or wrong, mother, until the cat blushes and leaves" - ?!?!?!

Yes Orinoco, I do.....x

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2012 14:48:46 GMT
Schprechtz du Deutsch Liebe Suzy -
**Claps hands together - and drops a Curtsy (Spiritually) to Suzy's Grand-dad**
"Oh my Gods - I do say - WELL - done Sir indeed" I am going to send your comment to my Grandson - he will love that - and Suzy Darling girl - you are being written into my 2012 - 2013 Commonplace Book - if you do not know what they are - Google for it - I love Keeping one in a Gnome's Gnotebook
Must go now - one last bookshelf to straighten and a hoover to give a kick-start to but I had to drop by - just like y'know - don't ask okay ???????
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (661 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Christmas Vodka 6 9 hours ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 8440 10 hours ago
New books! 6838 11 hours ago
Gourmet Kitchenware 20 2 days ago
Leisure Range Cookers - design fault? 22 3 days ago
Halogen Oven 232 5 days ago
Frying pans 19 6 days ago
Carving Roast Duck 14 6 days ago
Which steam cleaner for oven 102 6 days ago
Make ahead cold canapes 20 7 days ago
What was the last food you bought out of curiousity? 125 9 days ago
gossip and general chat about all things 332 10 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  13 Dec 2012
Latest post:  21 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions