Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Halogen Oven

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 195 posts in this discussion
Posted on 31 May 2013 20:50:06 BDT
It's just a little oven and grill. You use it like any other. You don't need special recipes at all. You just use your eyes and common sense. The only mystery to me is why folk make it so complicated, I really can't wrap my head around why. It's simple. Others I know go on about burning their arms. I've had these things since they were stainless steel with an ordinary element right up to the current digital hinged lidded one over 15 years. I've never burned myself on it yet. I've done everything from casseroles to a 10lb turkey and a 10lb rump of beef.

If you want to make a big mess for a little meal you can chuck everything in the big bowl, and for a big roast that's the best way but for anything smaller -

Tip: Use a glass flan dish just smaller than the bowl for a grill/oven pan on the low trivet.

Tip: For a casserole, use a casserole dish on the low trivet. The trivet lets hot air under the crock or oven dish.

Tip, put your extension ring on to do casseroles and place the casserole on the tall trivet. When it's done, remove the ring and you will find the casserole so easy to remove as it will be above the level of the glass bowl. No need to go delving deep.

Tip: Use tongs and get good oven Kevlar gloves with fingers. They cost a bomb but they are worth every penny..

Tip: Stop fussing and just use it.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2013 10:13:55 BDT
pixie says:
I do love my halogen oven Bz.....cooks pork like a dream! The roast bags are a good idea!

Posted on 31 May 2013 09:38:11 BDT
Bz says:
From experience ( which I grant is limited to 3 ovens from different firms ) the only 2 I would now consider are 1) Andrew James, because you can change the bulb yourself - but I'm not sure how easy that is ) and 2) JML - if they still offer an extension to the guarantee when you ring to order - 10 for an extra year ( or was it two ? Dunno, can't remember, sorry ). Others will burn out and your only option is to buy a new lid from ? Yes, Andrew James ! The life of your halogen can be extended if you protect the bulb and fan by enclosing fat-spitting items in roasting bags - try it, it works. ( 6 months use, almost daily - and ours looks like it did the day it was bought, pristine !)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2013 16:01:37 BDT
pixie says:
What make is it Christine?...My advise is to call the manufacturer and see if they supply spares. If not then there are so many different makes out there now and such a good price....Idealworld Shopping channel are doing a deal at the moment...it's on sale for 47.99, hinged and comes with accessories.......

There is also the JML website and some ideas below.

Andrew James 12 LTR Premium Halogen Oven Cooker + Easily Replaceable Spare Bulb + 2 YEAR WARRANTY + 128 page Recipe Book - Complete with Extender Ring (Up to 17 Litres) Lid Holder, Baking Tray, Steamer Tray, Skewers, Low and High Racks This comes in lots of colours

Shef 12 Litre Premium 1400w Halogen Oven Cooker complete with Extender Ring (to 17 Litre), Lid Holder, Steamer, Frying Pan, Skewers, Low Rack, High Rack, Glove plus FREE 200 page ALL COLOUR Recipe book by Hamlyn RRP 4.99

Coopers Halogen Oven

IT would be best to have it repaired (if that is poss) by a qualified person I think.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 30 May 2013 08:51:56 BDT
have had my halogen oven for 2yrs the fan has stopped working. Anybody had this problem ,and did you get a replacement part ?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2013 22:58:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2013 22:59:13 GMT
pixie says:
200c for about 40 mins give or take should do it Lorna.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2013 22:53:32 GMT
Lorna Murphy says:
hi can advise long long and at whAt temperature you cook your jacket potatoes for pleAse?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2013 12:49:56 GMT
pixie says:
I wouldn't be without mine as it is a godsend in the summer when you don't want the kitchen all heated up. Chicken is lovely in it. Turns out like rotisserie, all crispy and thin skinned ...lovely! Can tell I;m watching my weight..eh?

Posted on 21 Jan 2013 12:27:18 GMT
Bz says:
Hiya, pixie : the hinged lid is invaluable but it comes at a price ..., and an unreliable source - I'd sooner have extra warranty/replaceable element from Andrew James. My AJ failed last weekend after 2 months ( the digital control stopped functioning ), so I rang them and a replacement lid was posted the same day ! They didn't want the old one back as proof ! Very trusting - a pleasure to deal with.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2013 12:17:40 GMT
pixie says:
You are welcome...massive savings and they pay out no prob!

Posted on 21 Jan 2013 12:05:26 GMT
Bz says:
My first one was from JML with extra year on the warranty for 10 - and it worked ( replacement after 15 months ).
Thanks for the "topcashback" tip.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2013 09:52:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2013 09:53:13 GMT
pixie says:
Bz..you are so right about the Shopping channels. I have shopped with QVC for years and I have to say their customer services are really fab! There is never any hassle if something has to be returned. Even pierced earrings! I've got some great bargains on there but I still shop around. The savings are even better if you go through "topcashback" for QVC.
The other one...even though their are some good bargains is more of a prob if you need to speak to Customer services..I find.
I love my Halogen, I have the JML one. I'm sure the hunged lidded ones are better but I find the oven so useful. Pork is amazing in it!

Posted on 21 Jan 2013 09:42:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2013 09:46:38 GMT
Bz says:
Hi, Pamie
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with Ideal World. From experience, I would say the other shopping channel are much better to deal with - they offer 0800 numbers, you can speak with Customer Services who give the impression that they care ( I recently complained about a small but expensive item and they collected it, free of charge, and they gave me a complete refund ie incl initial p&p !
To my knowledge, there is only one firm offering replaceable elements ( and replacement lids ! ) but it would seem you've found them ! Yes, Andrew James.

Posted on 20 Jan 2013 22:13:09 GMT
Pamie says:
I bought a halogen oven from Ideal World, and because I didn't have the internet then I didn't realise that the heat element in the lid could be replaced. But I e-mailed Ideal World 4 times asking them if they could help me find a place that would fix it but never got a reply. So I threw away the heating part and kept the bowl and all the bits and ordered another one off internet fpr 20 and is perfect. Jacket potatoes are excellent in a halogen and sausages get a lovely crispy outside. I love it as you can cook anything in them and are great for single people Pam Eyden

Posted on 20 Jan 2013 20:53:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jan 2013 21:03:12 GMT
Bz says:
elke : may I suggest you try this e-book by my favourite goddess : How To Cook with a Halogen Oven (Short-e Guide) You may have to download the Kindle App first but 1.53 won't be adding much to the fortune you've spent ( you can have a sneak preview before-hand !)
Further info can be found ( by using the tabs ) on this site :
http://everydayhalogen.com/about/
I hope it helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2013 20:26:24 GMT
pixie says:
Yep I do elke..Chicken, root veg the lot! Don't know what a halo is!

Posted on 20 Jan 2013 20:22:29 GMT
elke2009 says:
i bought a hinged halogen oven and a halo air fryer as it seems "in" at the moment-my first halogen experiences were bad, meat didnt cook through at all, so had to use my normal fan assisted oven! my halo i use all the time and love it, so does my entire family! i dont like to be beaten and bought plenty of cook books for halogen cooking but not one explains IF i can put anything straight into the glass bowl, yet i watched you tube demos and they put veg and sausages straight into the bowl as well as bacon on the high rack on top!!please, can anyone help with advise as i've spend a fortune! elke dowkes from pickering

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2012 20:33:56 GMT
pixie says:
Looks awinner Bz...every little helps in the healthy stakes..thanks!

Posted on 8 Dec 2012 20:02:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Dec 2012 20:08:21 GMT
Bz says:
For those of you searching for recipe books, Sarah has done it again ( The Healthy Halogen Cookbook: Over 150 recipes to help you eat well, feel good and stay that way ), and if it's like her others, it'll be another winner from the Culinary Goddess !

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 10:03:39 GMT
pixie says:
Nice clean oven too...I've used the bags in a conventional oven when on holiday...!

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 22:51:22 GMT
Bz says:
Hiya, pixie ! Yes, it does add even more to the meats AND another advantage ..., it makes turning a darn-site easier, too. Gone are the attempts with tongues to turn individual pieces, say half a dozen chicken thighs or sausages, one at a time whilst running the risk of 6 burns on your wrist ! Using an oven glove, grasp the bag at the 'neck' to keep the steam in, and simply rotate and lower the bag and if necessary flatten the contents to separate them with your gloved hand. Simples !
If the temperature is high enough, things will brown through the bag.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 21:03:02 GMT
pixie says:
Think you have found a fab solution! Bet the meat is more moist and tender too.

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 20:21:45 GMT
Bz says:
Problem solved ?
Well, perhaps I should explain ... Our previous 2 ovens have burnt out, the last one managed to clog-up with carbonised flakes, clearly from high temperature cooking. Our attempts at cleaning were futile, even Brillo pads wouldn't touch the problem and finally the fan seized and the lamp burnt out.
Aldi were recently selling cheap roasting bags -so we decided to use them whenever we're cooking fatty items or indeed anything likely to spit or splatter eg chicken, sausage or similar.
After 4 weeks or so of constant use, the fan casing is like new ! Not a mark on it. Yes, we clean the oven but we've found that the lid doesn't accumulate grease like the previous ones did.
I know that the bags are an extra cost, but if this method is successful, the overall savings will justify this additional 10p per meal, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 19:52:59 GMT
Bz says:
Recipes ? 1. Try Sarah Flower's site : http://everydayhalogen.com/about/ for loads of info, hints, tips and recipes.
2. Google for "Daily Halogen recipes"

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 09:08:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2012 18:40:37 GMT
maharGharaS says:
So many interesting thoughts here - thanks.
I mainly use my microwave for defrosting, but I've read that with a halogen oven, you can cook from frozen. Any thoughts from your collective experience? Is it worth ditching my old microwave for a halogen oven?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (639 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Chili question for Indian pickle lovers 21 1 hour ago
New books! 6189 6 hours ago
Does anyone here make their own French Macaroons? 23 6 hours ago
Using Microwave accessories 0 7 hours ago
Yerba Mate, anyone? 190 8 hours ago
mmmm! what's for dinner 7256 19 hours ago
Food related TV programmes 1617 4 days ago
Need advice on which blender to buy. 0 5 days ago
Gourmet Kitchenware 18 5 days ago
Actifry sweet potato fries 78 6 days ago
bamix versus cuisinart 34 9 days ago
food processor or kitchen aid??? 53 10 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  195
Initial post:  10 Sep 2010
Latest post:  31 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions