Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Morrisons Market Street

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 85 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Mar 2014 14:27:26 GMT
We had a £5 voucher for Morrisons so we thought we would pop along. Now it's been a good few years since we have been to Morrisons and this was before they introduced Market Street but I was incredibly surprised about the quality and range of fruit and veg they had available.

We normally do our main shop at ASDA. We found things that our other local supermarkets have never had available such as shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, four varieties of chillies inc. Scotch Bonnets, pink fir apple potatoes, those funny blue potatoes, lychees, rambutans, fresh dates, mooli, taro, kohlrabi, dudhi, Jerusalem artichokes, and fresh turmeric root all loose by the kilo.

I also appreciated the fact that they had dry ice machines to keep the veg fresh. It is by far and away the freshest produce I have encountered in one of the major supermarkets in this area.

I may have to start doing my fruit and veg shop there and get other things as and when I need them during the week.

It's a shame that other large supermarkets do not offer such a wide range. I believe that it should be a prerequisite for every large supermarket to have their a great selection of quality fruit and veg as well as their own butcher, fishmonger, delicatessen and bakery.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 14:58:55 GMT
Maggie says:
I also found the selection of fruit & veg at Morrisons breathtaking, there were many items that I had never even heard of, plus lots that I could never source elsewhere. The way everything is kept chilled and beautifully fresh was such a change from most of the other badly stored fruit & veg in the other supermarkets. The fact that the produce was available by weight, and not all in polystyrene trays & cling film was so much better.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 22:29:45 GMT
Yes, I used to loathe morrisons, but my husband liked it and we have been going there more often of late. I have been quietly impressed with the variety on offer and the prices aren,t bad either. They have a real butcher in our store who knows his trade inside out and their meat is all British now, that,s a bonus too.

Posted on 9 Mar 2014 06:27:17 GMT
Up until yesterday I had never heard of dudhi. Apparently it's an Indian vegetable yet I have never come across a recipe that calls for its use

I wonder if it will inspire other supermarkets to up their game. There is no reason why Morrisons competitors couldn't do something similar

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2014 06:39:01 GMT
Maggie says:
I've never heard of that one either,I know there were about half a dozen items that I'd never heard of, and had never come across in recipes when I was last there. I didn't think to make a note of them, so they will remain a mystery forever.

Posted on 9 Mar 2014 08:45:46 GMT
I'm jealous. Spanish cooks are so unadventurous, particularly here in the South, that the only place I can find unique stuff it's usually not fresh. And by "unique" I mean "not potatoes, onions or carrots" at this time of year.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2014 10:27:26 GMT
I me genuinely amazed Ori! I!do always assumed it was just us Brits who were shy of the kitchen. So what do they eat, potatoes carrots and onions are staples in my house.............?xxx

Posted on 9 Mar 2014 17:03:06 GMT
E R says:
The very big Morrisons shops are good, the small ones, like ours can't beat Sainsburys.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2014 17:11:06 GMT
Most women won't prepare anything not prepared by their female relatives. I had a very irritating acquaintance who would ask me to translate recipes like pumpkin pie etc and when I asked if she made whatever she'd say, "Oh it was too complicated." Which being interpreted means, I couldn't be bothered.
Finally she'd ask me for a translation of whatever and I'd say "sure, fine, I'll get on it next week" and ignore the request. I realised she forgot all about it the moment it slipped through the many cracks in her mind.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2014 17:15:43 GMT
So it s true then, they only eat paella and Spanish omelette lol.xxx poor Ori, it,s a good job you,ve got us, where do you go for inspiration and encouragement. I bet peanut butter and jelly toast is not a Spanish speciality either, perhaps you could convert them to it, lazy beggars.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2014 17:19:39 GMT
We do have a big store and it is. Certainly a lot improved from the early days when it first opened. They only sold pre packed veggies and fruit and their meat came from all over the place. They are a fantastic source for out of the way spices and herbs etc and seem to encourage the home cook more than some of the other supermarkets. They have more than their fair share of ready meals and frozen food I know, but they seem to be improving the fresh stuff enormously.xx

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 11:27:26 GMT
Bearman says:
I don't go to Morrisons much, but if I want something like pork or beef cheeks, pigs trotters or a couple of other cuts which my local butcher no longer does, then Morrisons (10 miles away) is my nearest source. Funny how a supermarket can supply old fashioned cuts that a supposedly good local butcher wont do!

Posted on 13 Mar 2014 00:59:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2014 01:06:04 GMT
If the buses don't connect after my lunchtime swim, while waiting for the next one I sometimes call into M&S to pick up a pack of jam doughnuts (mmm), one to eat at teatime and the rest to freeze for other days. Today they were out of stock.

So for the first time I visited the only-a-few-weeks-old Morrisons two doors away. Their pack of doughnuts were very expensive and brick-like, even worse than WR which are usually just stale. I mentioned the brick-like nature to the lad stacking shelves, and he volunteered that he always buys his at M&S.

Ratings then for my local doughnut shops, a consensus from a group of us enthusiastic testers during the last few years;
M&S, 5*, £1 for 4, always soft plump and jammy, sometimes still warm, never on the shelves long enough to get stale
Co-op, 4*, £1.20 for 4, £1.79 for 8, usually plump but smaller than M&$, often out of stock
Wenzels, 3*, big, never the same expensive price twice, and very cakey, no multibuys, but piled high
WR, 2*, 68p for 5, always stale and wrinkled, but can sometimes be resuscitated in the microwave, usually out of stock.
Morrisons, 1*, £1.20 for 4 bricks. Eminently resist-able, loads of stock...
Tescos never have any, just an empty space on the shelf.
I've avoided Greggs, some inner voice says 'don't go there...'

The best of all by a long way (6*) were cooked by our local Polish baker, but she retired several years ago and sold up (it's now an excellent Chinese restaurant).

Edit. Perhaps this should be in the unhealthy saturated fats and sugars thread? But it was my first local Morrisons experience...

Posted on 13 Mar 2014 07:10:40 GMT
Nothing in your post relates to what this thread was discussing

I can't believe you have written a rant like that on doughnuts

Posted on 13 Mar 2014 10:03:39 GMT
Bearman says:
I don't like doughnuts.

Posted on 13 Mar 2014 10:09:37 GMT
Neither do I to be honest

If I did like them the last place I would be looking to buy them would be a supermarket. I'd find a nice bakery that made them fresh daily

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2014 10:14:13 GMT
I do like Marks for quality. I don,t shop there regularly as I find it a bit too expensive for a weekly shop and I would be too tempted by all the lovely extras, but I have never wasted anything that I have bought there, it is always eminently edible. We have always used Tesco for our groceries as they are on our doorstep, just about. But I have to say I am getting a bit disillusioned with them. Perhaps I,m getting bored and need a bit of inspiration, but the prices are creeping up and up all the time and now we are both retired I have to be a bit more careful. As for doughnuts RF, I never buy them, my waistline is fully expanded thank you.lol.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2014 10:15:30 GMT
Morrison,s doughnuts were the objects in question......mrs P.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2014 10:41:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2014 10:41:42 GMT
Maggie says:
Tesco is more or less on my doorstep, but I rarely shop there now,as you say prices have gone up & up, and generally quality hasn't . I found it very frustrating that they are constantly dropping branded products, and pushing there own brands. Over this last year they have been practically bullying customers to use the self service tills, I won't use them. I prefer to receive at least some service, I don't want to add scanning to my shopping experience, I find all the loading and unloading,packing etc is more than enough work for me. Plus they'll reduce staff numbers even more.why should I help someone join the unemployed?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2014 10:42:22 GMT
That is the point.

Most (but not all) of the supermarkets do not produce nice doughnuts, and Morrisons were outstanding in being by far the worst.

Alas, I don't have any local bakers left, all retired or driven out by the supermarkets and chains.

The ultimate jam doughnut however was cooked in front of us, at a stall on the pavement in Verbier; as we walked back up to the hotel after a hard day on the piste, suffering from sugar famine, they were mouthwateringly irresistible despite being 3ChF each.
:^)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2014 10:50:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2014 10:51:40 GMT
Agreed.

I also found in WR that self-scanning with the hand-held thing as I went round added much more time than it usually took to go via the checkout where a skilled operator scanned the goods faster than I could pack them. Typically my self-scanned shop took about 70 minutes while using normal checkout was only about 40 minutes, same general list of items on the regular fortnightly visit.

Posted on 13 Mar 2014 19:13:44 GMT
They tried the self-scan in our local IKEA, it was such a nightmare they got rid of it. People in my city just can't handle it I guess...me being one of them.
Lidl is getting like that here, too, prices creep up while quality doesn't. There's no such thing as brand choice, either. You want coffee? Take this one, or go without. When it was much cheaper, OK, but now that every shop is at least 10 Euros higher than it was 6 mos ago, I am starting to feel...well, it's not like I can afford to shop anywhere else, so it's academic. Dia is just as bad in the "one brand or no brand" department.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2014 23:31:56 GMT
Maggie says:
When our Tesco try to get you to use the self service tills they have several assistants hovering nearby as you go to the staffed tills.they try to get you to use them, and if you say "no" they tell you how easy it is to do ,they don't seem to get the message that it's not that I can't manage to do it, it's that I don't want to do it, and no amount of bullying or persuasion will make me change my mind,

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2014 23:47:19 GMT
Same thing with B&Q. Grr.

It is OK if you only have one or two items, but when there is a trolley-full then the normal checkout with a capable assistant on the till is much quicker.

No longer can I multi-task effectively! Sorting the stuff, OK. Scanning, very slow but OK-ish. Packing, OK. But having to do all of them simultaneously? No.

Posted on 14 Mar 2014 07:03:30 GMT
We have a Tesco about a 5 minute walk away from us but we never use it because as you have all been saying, they are pretty expensive. I find this surprising seeing as they are by far and away the biggest supermarket in this country. The make billions every year and yet they fail to pass any of this onto their customers.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (708 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  85
Initial post:  8 Mar 2014
Latest post:  8 Apr 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions