Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Chasseur vs Le Creuset

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Nov 2009 11:06:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2009 11:07:37 GMT
How do you think Le Creuset and Chasseur stack up against each other?

My first cast iron item was a Chasseur 22cm casserole bought at a ridiculously cheap price on Amazon about 4 years ago. I've since got a Le Creuset 29cm Oval casserole, and have been thinking about getting a massive round one - Le Creuset 28 or even 30 cm, or a Chasseur 28. Sometimes just want something a bit bigger. I was assuming i'd go Le Creuset, but I really think the Chasseur matches it in quality. My 22cm one is probably my favourite, and most used pan. It's brilliant.

Anyone else got/used both? What do you think?

Posted on 23 Nov 2009 12:00:38 GMT
K. Mead says:
I totally agree with you! I have been given some Le Crueset before and love it, but when it came to getting a new casserole I could only stretch to Chasseur. I'm really happy with it - durable, great design and half the price... only time will tell if it lasts as long though, but I see no reason why it wouldn't...

Posted on 23 Nov 2009 18:22:09 GMT
Rosie Cook says:
I have a leCreuset 30cm casserole, ( got it on amazon for a snip at £40, sale price ) great when cooking in bulk, but don,t use it much now as its too heavy and need help when lifting it off stovetop and out of oven, but if your young n fit then its a very versatile and superb item, beware tho handles get red hot so oven gloves a must.

Posted on 24 Nov 2009 09:38:09 GMT
I have both and am equally happy with both, I have a huge Le Crueset that I use for large casseroles (four or more people) and a small Chasseur just the right size for two people. Both cook beautifully and are a dream to clean, merely soak and rinse. The only thing that neither of them like and I have seen my friend do is to put them into water while they are still hot, it causes crazing on the enamel.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2009 16:01:03 GMT
Lady London says:
I have a lot of Le Creuset, and quite few pieces of Chasseur. Over years I made the mistake of always taking the heavier of 2 identical items in the shop in Le Creuset, because I thought heavier = high quality. Then the Le Creuset salesman pointed out that actually the knack with cast iron is to make lighter finer cast iron that is still whole and durable, and that this is a strength of Le Creuset. I would agree with that (now that I know better :-), and all my Le Chasseur pieces are relatively clunkier for the same size, than the equivalent Le Creuset.

However I love my smaller pieces (i.e. 22cm and smaller even down to 16cm and other assorted small items) that I have in Chasseur. I feel those are better than the Le Creuset in those smaller sizes and for those smaller items. However for any larger than 22cm I would always continue to buy Le Creuset. In particular, I can recommend the very wide pan sold in the UK as a "risotto pan". It is like a casserole with a lid but very wide, either 30cm or even bigger I cannot remember, and the thing about this particular model is that it is not so deep as the regular casseroles so it is excellent for risottos, sauteeing etc. without the lid, as well as being a casserole with the lid on when you need it to be. It;s pricey but it's my favorite item of cast iron cookware and everyone always asks me where I got such a versatile pan. My second favorite is my yellow 16cm Chasseur casserole which is just right for 2.

Just my thoughts... good luck I like both brands but feel you should choose larger items in Le Creuset as then you'll find it easier to lift them especially when they are full :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2009 01:18:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jan 2010 02:47:20 GMT
Marand says:
I have both Le Creuset and Chasseur (& Cousance although I think there is a connection with Chasseur) and like you I can't see any difference between them. I have also picked up unbranded cast iron saucepans and casseroles in French supermarkets/shops in years gone by and have found these to be just as good as the others. I have a set of three saucepans that I got for about £25 about fifteen years ago (the equivalent Le Creuset set was about £85) in Carrefour which have been used practically on a daily basis and they are as good as the day I bought them. Recently I bought a nice cream enamelled cast iron casserole in Sainsbury's - it is a bit deeper that the equivalent Le Creuset or Chasseur so I have been able to fit three large lamb shanks in a 20cm casserole rather than the two I can usually fit in. The Sainsbury one isn't as well-finished as the Le Creuset but it cooks just the same and at £30 was a bargain.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2009 14:25:52 GMT
rowat says:
They are both, to all intents and purposes, exactly the same. Morso were the best looking and incredibly expensive, but seems to be impossible to find now. Personally I'd buy the cheapest, black cast iron and "season" it yourself - it'll give you a wonderful non-stick surface and last for years.

Posted on 28 Nov 2009 00:43:17 GMT
M. Irwin says:
le creuset every time. mine is 25 years old and i'm still happy with it
chausseur is too heavy

Posted on 28 Nov 2009 12:19:16 GMT
I'd say neither - John Lewis' own brand is even better value and just as good.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2009 12:31:03 GMT
BFJ says:
I have Le creuset / Cousances items. They are excellent quality and do the job for which they are designed absolutely beautifully. My "Chasseur" roasting dish was considerably less pricey than the LC version. It does its job very well - Easy to clean - and produces good roasts and roasted potatoes come out very well. Likewise Chasseur Fondue pot was a little less pricey but it also does its job well.
If you want good VFM both Le C and Chasseur will last for years and years ... what better value than that -
I have some Cousances/Le Creuset pans that are 40yrs old and they are still good. You pays yer money and you get what you pay for has always been true for me. Cheaper is not always best value. BFJ

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2009 22:16:20 GMT
Do John Lewis have a range of cast iron cookware? Never seen it and can't see it on their website.

Thanks all for your responses. I do see what you mean about weight - picked up a Le Creuset 28 today and it didn't seem to be much heavier than a chasseur 22.

Also, what do you think of the satin black enamel? I find my Le Creuset grillpan a pain to clean (am I doing something wrong) so i'll probably steer clear, even though i do like the colour. Anyone used a satin black enamel casserole?

Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2010 11:38:12 GMT
seen a set of le creuset for sale at £100 in a charity shop in england - couldn't buy them because i live in belfast. try tkmaxx -also i saw very very cheap cast iron cookware in dunnes store.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2010 04:23:41 GMT
Rex Humphrey says:
The John Lewis own brand through their House of Fraser shops is called Linea. I bought one of their 25.5 size cast iron shops in the post Christmas sale for £35, which is half the normal price. I've used it twice now and it is a real bargain. Yes its heavy, but so is the Le Creuset 28cm, which was 3 times the price!

Posted on 9 Feb 2010 13:26:57 GMT
CALF-RID-US says:
OMG!

Rex writes:-

"The John Lewis own brand through their House of Fraser shops is called Linea"

John Lewis are nothing to do with 'House of Fraser' and could be really insulted!

In my career I've used all sorts of pots and pans and I'd seriously recommend the John Lewis own brand cast iron......not much to choose between the two in the discussion title. Le Creuset's Satin Black casseroles have the new steel knobs so might sway the balance of some cooks.

Pedro the Llama says:
"---- The only thing that neither of them like and I have seen my friend do is to put them into water while they are still hot, it causes crazing on the enamel."

Cast Iron should always be allowed to cool down before immersing in water...what a shame to pay so much on lifetime hardware then ruin it by not following the most basic of cast iron care!

Posted on 10 Feb 2010 17:35:38 GMT
anncj says:
Chasseur Cast Iron Rectangular Grill Pan Wire Handle Smooth Base 37x22cm
I am looking for a cast iron griddle and the Chasseur one with a wire handle looks OK. Does anyone have other recommendations? The 26cm ones are too small for decent sized steaks so I thought a rectangular one would provide more space. I do wonder about the wire handle though-cast iron is so heavy and I fear they wouldn't take the weight of the pan+the food in it. Any comments will be welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2010 01:08:55 GMT
Matiqua says:
I bought a square cast iron pan at IKEA and I am really happy with it. It's quite cheap and, after you season it, it's really easy to use and to clean and it produces a yummy crunchy crust on my fillet steaks ;)

Posted on 18 Feb 2010 14:27:45 GMT
RickB says:
I have used Le Creuset for years however I am now getting rid of it all apart from the two cassarole dishes. The pans are okay but they are too heavy particularly the large saute pan and to be honest I bought some of the Tesco "Finest" range pans and have found them better plus they are none stick. LeCruset are also very expensive much of which is I think is paying for the name

Posted on 18 Feb 2010 15:54:00 GMT
H. Birkett says:
http://farmyardchronicle.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/delia-urea-beer-episode-pulled/

This can't be true - can it?

Posted on 1 Mar 2010 18:42:53 GMT
I had Lecreuset before (20 years ago)and hated them. I gave them away to a relative who was collecting the blue colour I had, I found they burnt easily on the bottom. I have just got some Pro cook ones. Although limited on colour and size/shape choice very good value and half price at the moment. I have the black ones with the stainless steel knobs and they look great and cook well with little burning. Although, that maybe down to me now having a gas hob rather than electric which I had back then, and also hated.

Posted on 3 Mar 2010 13:40:49 GMT
G. C. Jones says:
I recently purchased a blue, cast iron risotto pan (with lid so it doubles as a shallow casserole as well). It came from Aldi for the princely sum of fourteen pounds and it is almost identical to the Le Creuset one which retails at over ninety. I can honestly say that it performs just as well as Le Creuset, Cousances and Chasseur as I have several of these makes of pans as well. The only problem with all these pans is the sheer weight of them which can be a problem when they are full of stew!
Gill H-J

Posted on 5 Mar 2010 12:08:13 GMT
I would never buy anything but Le Creuset. I tend to stick to a brand and hate having a mixture of things. Like sets.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2010 11:34:58 GMT
swimmerpaul says:
I got a 28cm volcanic cast iron round casserole for £4.00 and a cast iron volcanic omelet pan for £1.00 from a charity shop they had hardly been used. they are without doubt the best pans i have ever used PS i forgot to mention walking along the beach one day (i live in Bournemouth) i found a cast iron volcanic kettle by the bins someone had been clearing out their beechhut and the didn't want it anymore. unbelievably lucky it's a great kettle.
Paul. Bournemouth.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2010 23:41:50 GMT
RickB says:
I had the omlete pan and it is the worst pan I ever bought and have given it away. I used Le Cruset for years but appart from the cassarole dish and griddle pans I have got rid of them. They are over priced and over rated. You pay and extra £40 just have Le Cruset on the lable.

Posted on 11 Mar 2010 16:45:26 GMT
I agree with RickB, I also bought a Le Creuset frying pan to fit in my oven. I used it once and the food stuck to it so badly I couldnt clean it, I have used cast iron for many years including more Le Creuset items, so it was not my method of cooking that caused this. But I thought I would be able to get a replacement as it has a ten year guarantee!! But no I was accused of repeatedly using the pan at high temperatures so I would recommend the John Lewis cast iron cookware which is far superior and their customer services dont insult the customer.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2010 20:22:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2010 20:24:05 GMT
D. Goodband says:
I got the griddle from Aldi and that does steaks a treat. I do wonder tho' whether they really mean it about not using it on high heat, as that's what I thought a griddle pan was all about!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (690 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The All New What's For Dinner Thread!! 133 11 hours ago
Food Related Jokes 64 11 hours ago
For those of us that would like to lose some weight 2253 12 hours ago
which breadmaker? 120 1 day ago
Food related TV programmes 1689 1 day ago
I want to pass on a tip... 1009 2 days ago
Kefir, anyone? 125 3 days ago
gossip and general chat about all things 1212 7 days ago
The Fish Thread 190 7 days ago
Chasseur vs Le Creuset 60 8 days ago
New books! 7056 12 days ago
All Things Curry 285 16 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  23 Nov 2009
Latest post:  8 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions