Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

UK terminology help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jan 2012 16:01:39 GMT
Cathy says:
I am looking at a recipe from the UK (for Potted Shrimps) that calls for 2 packets of butter. I am not familiar with the term packet when referring to a butter measurement in a recipe. It could not mean the little foil packets that you get in a restaurant, as that would be far too little butter in th recipe. Can someone tell me how many kg or oz in a packet?

Posted on 25 Jan 2012 16:09:43 GMT
C. Dawson says:
a packet of butter in the UK is normally 250g.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2012 18:16:58 GMT
Cathy says:
Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2012 18:20:23 GMT
C. Dawson says:
You're welcome :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2012 01:14:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2012 01:16:02 GMT
Catwoman says:
Can't imagine that you'd need that much butter unless you're making masses!! Most recipes call for between 4-6 ounces of butter for six servings. I'd try Googling some different potted shrimp recipes. It does make a lovely starter!!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2012 12:21:30 GMT
This must be a very old recipe because all new books use the metric system of grams and millilitres.
1 old ounce = about 28 grams, 4 ounces = 113 grams
A pint is about 1.15 litres and can also be called 20 ounces in old books.
Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2012 14:23:30 GMT
lyndylou says:
Thank you Paul. That is a great help.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2012 14:51:33 GMT
Cathy says:
Yes, the copyright is 1984. It is a book of very authentic Italian recipes, so the descriptions of ingredients is sometimes a little confusing. However, it does have a good "definitions" section that helps with most things. The recipes are wonderful... so simple, most of them, using items that I would not think about using together in a pasta sauce. Thanks for your advice.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2012 16:04:47 GMT
Les Steel says:
A British pint is 568ml! 1.15 litres is 1150ml.

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 16:55:55 GMT
Well I feel the need to mention that a smaller quantity - might be what my American buddies call a "Stick of butter" and in this case it would appear to be approximately 125g I had to look through a website that had all this "comparative" stuff and I also checked with some friends just this moment - all of "Good UK stock" and they do not know of a "packet" of butter - sounds a tad Old Fashioned to me - I wish you well dear, and you need not reserve me any I hate shrimps but havomh said that = for 500g of shrimps I would suggest that 125g of butter

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2012 17:09:58 GMT
Cathy says:
Thanks for the advice. Here is the link to the recipe that I used that refers to "packets" of butter.
http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/MarcosGreatBritishFeast/Recipes/Pottedshrimp/default.html

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 17:10:48 GMT
Cathy says:
I found that the recipe was not in the Italian book. The book referred to "potted shrimps" and I went on the web to find a recipe.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2012 17:41:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2012 17:49:41 GMT
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/A_packet_of_butter_is_it_the_same_as_a_tablespoon_of_butter

I googled for a definition of a Packet of butter
this link may help - they also - elsewhere on the net - define a cup of Butter - American Cooking = as eight oucnces - and a stick is half that because it can be sold like that as a small quantity I think this is OK - I trust wiki a great deal

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 17:43:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2012 17:43:32 GMT
I am a Cook and I shall look in one of my fave books if you care to wait on about 5 mins

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 17:49:19 GMT
Here we are - checked in the BBC Good Food - Comfort Food - a book they published
they give - to 400g of brown shrimps 200g of Butter that means as they say unsalted butter supposing the shrimps are salty enough - I hope that will help
Clearly sticks wont be right

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 14:51:48 GMT
SeptimusUK says:
Patricia, MPW recipe calls for 500g butter for 1Kg shrimps. Which seems to be the same as the BBC indication, two parts shrimps to one part butter. Since it calls for simply coating the shrimps, one might start with half the butter and only add more if it looks a bit skinny.
Your reply to SeptimusUK's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2012 15:12:45 GMT
Excellent Septimus - and thanks - I did not do the Math

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 18:17:53 GMT
Snowy6 says:
From what I can see a "2 packets of butter" is not a unit of weight but a description of what you need, like you would say 2 eggs rather than 50g of eggs. As C. Dawson says: a packet of butter in the UK is normally 250g which tallies well with the rest of the thread.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 19:08:27 GMT
I am going to visit more cookery forums in future - you get a good class of discussion there - I wish I could lay table and set crockery and I'll even make a Victoria Sponge Cake - got cream - got Strawberries - who will fix the prawns, and what can we talk of next

Posted on 7 Feb 2012 09:44:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2012 09:45:47 GMT
SeptimusUK says:
Well, as a little non sequitur - the most used, and, dare I say, useful, of the modern gadgets we use - must be Le Saucier. If you haven't discovered LS, then you are slave to a stirred pan. From a Sauce Mornay to a rich custard for ice-cream, the Saucier avoids all the pitfalls. It is an absolute god-send and a positive encouragement to creating warm sauces.
It appears to be difficult to find in UK, perhaps not marketed there, there is even one second-hand on UK eBay at £83.50 inc p&p whereas a current second-hand in France is 36€ or £75 new.
I am not convinced that this forum is the best place to start such a conversation?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2012 21:43:02 BDT
Do you know Septimus, I,ve been looking for one of those for years, and it has been so long that I had given up. They are non existent in the uk. Thank you for reminding me.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2012 22:00:04 BDT
I should have one of those - I once fell asleep - standing up at the cooker, and contendedly - hypnotically - stirring a Mornay - people thought it was the heat - no !! I just dozed off - half hypnotized - the Sauce was fine

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2012 23:03:54 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 6 Apr 2012 02:17:29 BDT]

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 16:09:55 BDT
John Adams says:
When I was at uni a friend of mine, not one of nature's best cooks, was preparing from a packet something which required an addition of half an ounce of butter. He misinterpreted this as half a pound of butter. The resulting "food" apparently had something of an overpoweringly buttery taste.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (711 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Cheap Red Wine 0 2 hours ago
The All New What's For Dinner Thread!! 615 3 hours ago
Anybody here do any Japanese cooking? 11 8 hours ago
Kefir, anyone? 227 8 days ago
Curd Cheese - can I use anything as a substitute? 190 9 days ago
gossip and general chat about all things 1659 12 days ago
Which steam cleaner for oven 105 20 days ago
Vanilla & Coffee 3 20 days ago
Kidney Friendly Diet 2 24 days ago
Which oven to buy 38 26 May 2016
Fan assisted oven nightmare! PLEASE HELP! 267 14 May 2016
Cake decorating 18 5 May 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  25 Jan 2012
Latest post:  10 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions