Customer Discussions > cookery discussion forum

Salmon Mousse recipe

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Dec 2010 11:45:54 GMT
J. Allchorne says:
Can anyone help me please. I had an old recipe book - a Freezer cookbook I think and it had a salmon mousse recipe that I used to make with tinned salmon and evaporated milk. I have recently moved nad must have thrown it away! I am gutted as I like to make it every Xmas . Can anyone help

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2011 20:55:33 BDT
I have a recipe in a Marks and Spencer Freezer cookbook. Could this be your one?

Posted on 20 May 2011 04:31:14 BDT
D. HOWARD says:
Here is one from my Thermomix cook book which sounds similar to what you describe.
I have never made it. Perhaps I should have a go if it is so good.
50 g water
30 g lemon juice
1 sachet gelatine
150 g mayonnaise
212 g salmon (small can)
tsp salt
tsp pepper
150 g evaporated milk

Posted on 20 May 2011 04:34:46 BDT
D. HOWARD says:
Here is one from my Thermomix cook book which sounds similar to what you describe.
I have never made it. Perhaps I should have a go if it is so good. Is it the same as yours Mrs Woods as I should like to know if it freezes well?
50 g water
30 g lemon juice
1 sachet gelatine
150 g mayonnaise
212 g salmon (small can)
tsp salt
tsp pepper
150 g evaporated milk

Posted on 9 Jan 2012 03:00:07 GMT
I was delighted to read, upon this educational forum, of the moving experiences some of you have had with Salmon Mousse! I was particularly thrilled because I had just navigated from the hot-potato that is soup makers! Tr la! I do declare,sometimes life writes its own script for, coincidentally, I was in the process of using up leftovers in my Cuisinart SSb1U for my famous Salmon soup! A favorite family heirloom of a recipe, I can heartily recommend the employment of a little "Dream Topping" as one brings it to the boil. And do NOT be afraid of a dob of brandy butter, or margerine, for health.
All you need:-
50 g water
30 g lemon juice
1 sachet gelatine
150 g mayonnaise
212 g salmon (small can) (optional)
tsp salt
tsp pepper
150 g evaporated milk (or "Dream Topping")
Add some butter (or margerine, for health).

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 17:42:05 BDT
Dear J. Allchorne
I hope I can be of assistance, where have you recently moved your nad too?
Regards
Ken Woodmixer ESQ

Posted on 1 May 2012 16:40:47 BDT
Sorry, no recipe -
but I do regularly buy Morrisons Salmon Pate - and apart from a couple of pots that had the odd, chewy bit of skin left in, this has been one of the nicest, freshest tasting smoked salmon pates I've tried to date. I've found too many of the dearer brands are quite dry and tired-tasting. Some contain very little actual salmon in them and they can be too fatty or salty in flavour.

This pate freezes very well and it is a good price too.
I'm just eating some now on granary baguette - well worth trying if you're in a hurry - really yummy!

Enjoy! x suzysunshine7 x

Posted on 30 May 2012 14:30:29 BDT
G OODFELLA says:
salmon and a moose together...yuk sounds norwegian to me

Posted on 21 Nov 2012 11:33:16 GMT
Bearman says:
I love salmon mousse - but I'm not allowed to make it anymore more as my American better half says "Yuck - fish slime - texture is all wrong and fish should not be made into a mousse" Is this sufficient grounds for a divorce?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 11:36:33 GMT
YES! ABSOLUTELY! - I love Salmon Mousse!
You get divorced, I'll let Roo down gently (buying him his own supermarket skip to rummage through should do it?!!).....and then we can swim upstream together!!! HA HA HA!!! - LOL!!! ;o>

Posted on 21 Nov 2012 11:39:13 GMT
Bearman says:
Suzy - before we set off on that journey together, I have just one buring question I must ask: Fish finger sandwiches - with cheddar and mayo, or just ketchup. No pressure, but I could only stay with someone who gives the right answer.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 11:45:12 GMT
So it comes to this!
After knowing you for, ooooh, all of a month? - and the ultimatums have started already.....(*sob*).....!!!

I KNOW it is the wrong answer BUT to thine own self be true!.....it can only be.....Ketchup!!! :o>

Posted on 21 Nov 2012 12:05:18 GMT
Bearman says:
Sob sob - whaa whaa ooops. I'm a cheddar/mayo man. We will just have to settle for furtive recipe swapping in the stationary cupboard at the office party (or Pixie's place) rather than the long term "swim". You would just get bored with me and cast me aside when the next furry critter shows up.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 12:20:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Nov 2012 12:29:10 GMT
That said?.....!
I don't like Mayo? - but what the heck? I'm game if you are! - there is always a first time for everything!
And the cheese? - hmmm well?!!.....that really intrigues me?!!

I think the bigger issue here is probably that I can't really swim!!! - so, I will have to pack this?!!
HA HA HA!!! - LOL!!! ;o>

Posted on 21 Nov 2012 12:56:20 GMT
Bearman says:
That's typical - leave you alone for 5 minutes and you have hitched up with a Giraffe!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 12:59:04 GMT
Sorry Poppet!.....x
HA HA HA HA HA!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 00:00:46 GMT
J. Allchorne says:
I have only just seen your reply!!! Do you still have the recipe? I'd be so grateful if I could get hold of it ... I think it probably was in the M and S Freezer cookbook

Posted on 22 Nov 2012 10:35:06 GMT
Bearman says:
You want my fish finger sandwich recipe?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 14:36:06 GMT
I'm guessing that would make for a very classy main course at a formal dinner party, Bearman!
What would you serve alongside though, for starters? and what we Northerners know as 'puddin', then?

Posted on 22 Nov 2012 16:18:38 GMT
Bearman says:
Lidl sausage roll starter, and bananas and custard for puddin'.

Funny enough I went to a "media type" wedding years ago which was full of luvvies. We we sat down to eat, there was a menu on every seat. It listed delights such as baby rabbit stuffed with cherries, kipper quiche with Pernod creme anglais, steak tartare with Seville Marmalde dressing, profiteroles with jelly and ice cream and so on. You should have heard the mummurings of "I cant eat that" and "But there's no vegetarian option". Turns out the whole menu was a joke except for the profiteroles with jelly and ice cream. The pink champagne they served for the toasts turned out to be Tizer which was a laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 18:12:05 GMT
pixie says:
Cooking for your Freezer (St. Michael Cookery Library)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 18:21:31 GMT
Aahh those media type weddings with their Jimmy Seville Marmalade

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2013 12:05:09 GMT
Scarlet Lady says:
LOL

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2013 15:21:49 BDT
Janet's Salmon Mousse

Ingredients

2 small or 1 large tin of red salmon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons seafood sauce
I sachet of powdered gelatine
I sml can of evaporated milk, well chilled
2 egg whites
I tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional
little pieces of smoked salmon

Method

1. Remove skin and bones from salmon and mash to a smooth paste, stir in lemon juice, seafood sauce, parsley and seasoning.

2. Make up gelatine (using instructions on packet)
(make sure gelatine is completely dissolved, allow to cool slightly before adding to salmon mixture but not too long as it will start to set)

3. Stir gelatine mixture into salmon.

4. Whisk the well chilled evaporated milk, until it is thick and nearly doubled in volume and stir into mixture.

5. Whisk eggs until they peak and and carefully fold into salmon mixture with a metal spoon.

At this point if you are using optional smoked salmon add it now.

7. Turn into a lightly oiled mould and refrigerate until set.

8. Turn it out like you would a jelly

This can also be frozen, just remember to thaw for 3-4 hours at room temperature if doing so.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cookery discussion forum (14 discussions)

ARRAY(0xabf2b3cc)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cookery discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  21 Dec 2010
Latest post:  22 Oct 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions