Customer Discussions > computer components discussion forum

Upgrading my old Pavilion m8046.sc

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Apr 2011 15:24:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Apr 2011 16:06:02 BDT
V. Henri says:
A few years back I bought a GeForce 8800 GTS 512 and a 550W power supply to match. However, I've noticed that my processor, which is a standard AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, has been limiting the perfomance of my system.

I was thinking of buying something like AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz Processor 4 x 512 KB Boxed - Black Edition, the problem is that according to my information my motherboard (Asus M2N68-LA Narra) can't handle the upgrade.
So, I was hoping if someone could maybe give me a few pointers on what kind of a motherboard I should get, I can handle most of the upgrade stuff on my own, but I'm not too familiar with motherboards. Currently I'm thinking of something like ASUS M4A78LT-M LE - AMD 760G - Socket AM3 - DDR3 1800(OC) - SATA 3Gb/s - SATA RAID - MicroATX - Onboard Graphics but then again, I know little when it comes to this.

Posted on 11 Apr 2011 18:33:02 BDT
Jay Bee says:
Have you tried the obvious discussion forums - e.g. PC Advisor or Micro Mart? Worth a look if you don't mind the techy jargon....

Posted on 11 Apr 2011 19:09:00 BDT
V. Henri says:
To tell you the truth, I was initially feeling a little lazy, so I decided to ask at the first place that came to mind (the first place where I could expect to get any decent answers to begin with) and it doesn't hurt to just ask does it.
I figure I could try to look up someplace more specialized, would likely be faster that way too.

Posted on 12 Aug 2011 21:51:21 BDT
Tony.C says:
how do i format a hard drive

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 00:24:44 GMT
if you havent found out yet but yeah they will work good with each other make sure you get some ddr3 ram Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 Mhz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Kit this would work fine but if you looking to do gaming i would reconmend more beefer stuff Gigabyte SKT-AM3 GA-MA770T-UD3 Motherboard like this motherboard and run a 8 gb ram with a graphics card
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the computer components discussion forum (37 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  11 Apr 2011
Latest post:  14 Dec 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions