Customer Discussions > computer components discussion forum

Gaming PC for 2014 / High end computer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Dec 2013 18:52:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Dec 2013 19:08:37 GMT
Jose Cardoso says:
hi all. I've been away from all the 'computer' gaming scene for awhile, currently not up to date with all the major specs.
at the moment im thinking about getting this list:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/1LC0V0QV5V2T6

do you think I could change anything, that wont cost that much, and still get a better performance?

im not sure about the monitor and motherboard choice. any thoughts?

Posted on 4 Jan 2014 20:15:45 GMT
What are you planning on using it for? Just gaming, or other uses.

Posted on 4 Jan 2014 21:20:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2014 21:21:34 GMT
Just seen your wish list if your not video editing and using highly Hyper Threaded Apps and Programs the I7 will not benefit you at all you will be wasting money save some cash and get a i5 4670k and the money left over put towards a better GPU games don't use more than 4 cores

Posted on 4 Jan 2014 21:25:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2014 21:26:17 GMT
PS your ram is over-kill 8GB would be more than enough everything else looks great like i said drop the i7 for the i5 and get G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ripjaws Z Series Memory Kit Only if your a gamer and not using hyper threaded apps

Posted on 5 Jan 2014 15:20:11 GMT
Jose Cardoso says:
thanks for the info. and yes, it's mainly for games.
but i really want the computer to be able to play new games full graphics and with smooth stable fps. is the i5 still going to perform as good as the i7?
about the ram, was also thinking about doing the exact thing you told me. 16gb is just way too much for what im looking for.
do you have any advices on the motherboard?
and how about the graphic card? will it be able to run new games full graphics?
thanks for all the tips btw, really apreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2014 16:14:08 GMT
THe i5 will perform the same as the i7 as they are basically the same. The mobo you have there is good and the graphics card won't be able to play all games on super-duper-power-mode, but most graphics won't! The one you have there will serve you well and if you need more power in the future, then you can SLI two of them.
As you are ditching the i7 for an i5, I would you suggest you get this (Corsair Professional Series AX 760 Watt ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Unit) as it will supply better power and has a super high efficiency. It is worth the extra bit.
Just a heads-up, the keyboard you have chosen is a chiclet keyboard, which is a laptop keyboard.
Another upgrade you could do is to upgrade your hard drive to Seagate ST1000DX001 3.5 inch 1TB Hybrid Internal Solid State Drive as it has a small 8gb ssd installed in it and it will automatically copy common files (windows, system files, etc) to it and give a performance boost, especially on start-up.
The stock cpu cooler is quite loud and doesn't cool very well, so I would suggest getting Cooler Master Hyper 412s Tower Cooler for CPU as it is very good for the price and will give you a bit of overclocking headroom.

Hope this helps ;)

Posted on 5 Jan 2014 18:35:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2014 18:40:20 GMT
Jose Cardoso says:
thanks for the help.
so lets see how its going:
already droped the i7 and replaced it with Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

about the ram got 3 diferent sets, wich one would you take and why? is it really worth the extra money?
- G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual Kit - Red
- G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ripjaws Z Series Memory Kit
- G Skill 2x 4GB PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz Gaming Memory Kit

graphic card, im thinking about keeping the gtx 770 oc. the gtx 780 is almost double the price, but is it REALLY worth it?
or does the gtx 770 can hold for now, and in 1 year go sli ?

bob bobbington is 8gb ssd enough for OS?

thanks for the tips on cooler and power supply.

btw, sorry for the lost post and the spam of ram url.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2014 19:17:02 GMT
The sshd automatically copies files that are being used a lot to speed up file transfers, so the entire os won't fit on the ssd, but the parts that are being most used will.
The the 780 isn't worth it unless you you need the cool-factor. You could go SLI in a few years as the 770 is a good card at the moment.
On the ram front, I would suggest that you go with G Skill 2x 4GB PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz Gaming Memory Kit as it is cheaper than the other 2400mhz ram. The 2400mhz will give you a massive boost in gaming compared to 1600mhz ram, so definitely worth it!

Posted on 5 Jan 2014 23:57:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2014 23:59:44 GMT
Jose Cardoso says:
and the sshd can perform as fast as a normal ssd? all im looking for in the ssd is that fast os and programs start. if the speed is almost identical i think i could save those £100 from the ssd.
G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual Kit - Red is what im thinking at the moment. 2133mhz. is it really worth to spend the extra £20 to get 2400mhz?
once again, thanks for all the help. I've been away from computers for far too long and I have alot of doubts about the specs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/1LC0V0QV5V2T6
how is it looking now?

Posted on 6 Jan 2014 00:34:08 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 6 Jan 2014 03:21:34 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2014 10:25:15 GMT
go for G Skill 2x 4GB PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz Gaming Memory Kit as it has the same CL number, but a faster speed, so there will be a noticable performance increase.

Posted on 7 Jan 2014 11:28:00 GMT
What games are you intending to play and have you decided on the monitor yet?

The GFX card with 2GB of VRAM might be a limiting factor if you go high resolution with your monitor or you play something like Skyrim with a lot of graphics mods.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 15:56:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2014 15:58:41 GMT
Jose Cardoso says:
want to play bf4 and what else new fps coming in this year.
I dont need to play them at full graphics. High and stable 60fps would do just fine.
since im on a budget and also need to buy keyboard, mouse etc, dont think I have much room for making more changes.
but I could change to a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 770 OC 4GB DDR5 WF3 PCI-E Graphics Card since its only £50 more

about the monitor, thats my big doubt so far. dont really know what to get for gaming.
27" is a must have but the rest of the details im not sure. refresh rate, ips or not, led or lcd. dont really know whats best at the moment.
any ideas?

Posted on 7 Jan 2014 16:11:33 GMT
Are you set on nVidia for GFX? Although prices are going up at the moment for AMD due to coin mining, they can be better bang for buck.

You may get some good advice on monitors if you register at the overclockers forum and ask there?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the computer components discussion forum (47 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  31 Dec 2013
Latest post:  7 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions