Customer Discussions > comics discussion forum

Comic Con 2010

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jul 2010 10:12:08 BDT
JJG says:
So what are we looking forward to?

More film news? We've got Thor, Cap, and Green Lantern films up for next year.

Game News? Arkham 2 and a new Spiderman game are on their way.

TV? Walking Dead is shuffling toward us.

And last but by no means least, want comics are coming up? Let's see what San Diego brings us this year.

Posted on 18 Jul 2010 19:42:30 BDT
Black Mask says:
I'm hoping for some news about The Goon movie.

Posted on 18 Jul 2010 19:44:48 BDT
Black Mask says:
And, of course, the announcement of the new line of Deadpool Polly Pocket Toys, the Deadpool bed-linen range and the global release of Deadpool Cheerios, Deapool Crunch and Honey-Nut Deadpool Glocks.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2010 10:06:18 BDT
N. J. Mason says:
The recent issue of Empire had a feature on it, and next issue will no doubt have more, after the event.

I'm particularly looking forward to news about Thor, Cap America and the Avengers but also the film Paul (Pegg and Frost) and anything on the new Wolverine movie (I'll give them one more chance).

Great promo art of Walking Dead on aintitcool.com recently. The characters all look awesome, and Rick's son Carl is wearing a Science Dog t-shirt (Mark's favourite comic in Invincible, also written by Robert Kirkman). With that kind of detailed geek pleasing in-jokes, how can it be anything other than brilliant?

Posted on 19 Jul 2010 17:06:23 BDT
JJG says:
LOL Black Mask, you do know Deadpool's getting a costume redesign, right? Marvel want to jump on the Twilight band wagon and so are going to make him go bare chested for a while, to impress the lady folk who love their vampires and bare chested pre-transformation werewolves.

N.J, I heard about Pegg and Frost's new movie, but if I'm honest I'm kind of tired of Simon Pegg. I'm getting fed up of him appearing in other blockbusters for no reason, Scotty WTF!
I'm praying Walking Dead isn't a disaster, if it's as big a success as it promises to be it would probably open the flood gates for other adaptations, Preacher yay!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2010 08:34:36 BDT
N. J. Mason says:
Yeah, I didn't rate him as Scotty (seemed a poor attempt to inject broad humour into an otherwise great film) but I've been a fan since series one of Spaced and the plot sounds pretty cool.

Yes, a lot is riding on Walking Dead and many studios will be watching to see how audiences react. But lets look at the facts: fantastic source material; great talent writing and directing; Kirkman involved; KNB effects doing the zombies; cable TV format allowing for violence; TV format more consistant with the comics pacing and sprawling nature than a 2 hour film.

How can it go wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2010 11:50:49 BDT
JJG says:
LOL, don't tempt fate, last time I was this excited about a comic adaptation I got Spider-man 3!

But yes, all seems to fit nicely from where I'm standing now. Powers is something that I'm hoping will make the jump well, and Bendis is writing that, but I think it's going down the pilot route and not green lighting a whole series like Walking Dead.

Posted on 20 Jul 2010 12:29:31 BDT
AptoMatt says:
For me it's all about the Walking Dead TV show. N J is right on the money with Kirkman writing a couple of episodes and the majority being directed by Frank Darapont Walking Dead is THE show I'm currently waiting for. Loved the science dog reference and so far the only piece of casting I'm not sure about is Rick himself, but I'll give Egg the benefit of the doubt.

Movie wise I'm most excited about the Captain America movie, you gotta love a World War 2 period piece with fricking Super heroes. I want Thor to work, but all the preproduction art and photos I'm seeing are quite worrying. Green Lantern would be cool, but sadly I don't know anywhere near enough about the character to get really excited. Actually, if anyone could recommend some Good Green Lantern rreading material I'd appreciate it.

Posted on 20 Jul 2010 12:31:50 BDT
AptoMatt says:
Oh yeah and some more footage from the Game of Thrones TV show would be excellent bonus.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2010 13:21:33 BDT
N. J. Mason says:
I often get excited and hyped up, only to be disappointed. For example, the day I took my son to see Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a dark day indeed. But I'm convinced Walking Dead will be genius, and open the doors to other intelligent adaptations. I was suspicious of the casting of Egg, but having seen the photos reckon it'll be fine.

And I believe it had a pilot made first before it was greenlit, so Powers easily stands a chance of getting made. Although Global Frequency didn't, and that could have been a wicked show.

And Game of Thrones too - thats a good call. Anything from HBO has my attention.

Maybe its because I've not read much either, but Green Lantern holds no interest for me at the moment. Hopefully they can do it in a cool way but the potential of ridiculousness is high. Projecting holograms of giant fists or egg whisks (!) always struck me as stoopid.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2010 15:38:10 BDT
CunningSmile says:
Not sure if it's available in graphic but the only really good Green Lantern (Hal Jordan version) is Denny O'neil's run on Green Lantern/Green Arrow in the '70s and '80s. It's a little dated now but was the first "adult" superhero comic and often dealt with drug addiction, homelessness and institutional racism in the police force, something that no one had ever thought a comic could do. Judd Winick's run on Green Lantern is also good but deals with a different version of 'Lantern to the film (Winick is a really good writer, so I'd suggest checking him out anyway)

Posted on 20 Jul 2010 16:34:10 BDT
AptoMatt says:
Thanks Mr Ben I'll look into it.

Posted on 23 Jul 2010 15:55:37 BDT
N. J. Mason says:
Some great stuff coming from comic-con. Firstly, I absolutely love the couple of concept art images from Thor and Captain America. Looks awesome. And the new walking dead images are immensely cool - that character artwork showing the original comics next to the real actors in the same poses is quality.

Check them out - I use aintitcool.com and darkhorizons.com but I'm sure they are everywhere.

Posted on 24 Jul 2010 04:15:57 BDT
I did hear rumours from ComicCon that Nova might be inheriting the 'Man Without Fear' tagline and that there might be a Cosmic Avengers title to replace Guardians of the Galaxy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  comics discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  18 Jul 2010
Latest post:  24 Jul 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions