Customer Discussions > comics discussion forum

graphic novel suggestions, please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Aug 2012 15:35:25 BDT
Hello, I'm a girl (24) who would like to get more into graphic novels but would love some suggestions, please!

I've read and enjoyed the usual suspects - Watchmen, V for Vendetta, The Ballad of Halo Jones, Kick Ass, Ghost World, and American Vampire, and am not sure where to go next.

A more girly angle is good but not necessary, and I'm not too keen to get stuck into a mega-long series like Batman or Spider-Man (although I am prepared to have my mind changed!)

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen sounds good, does it matter which one you start with?

Thank you very much!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 00:36:12 BDT
Hi

Start at the beginning if you are going to read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Try Sandman and Lucifer. Lucifer was an exceptional series.

Batman:Knightfall might help you change your mind. Much better than the latest movie..

Superman: Earth One is really good, as is the recently released Batman: Earth One.

Try Preacher for something a bit out there. Or The Boys for something that is really out there...

Any of the Hellblazer books are worth picking up.

DMZ is an excellent series. It's about an America at war with itself and New York is basically annexed. Really good writing and artwork.

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 01:25:57 BDT
Rory says:
Hey, if you haven't read manga i recommend you do, as long you don't mind it being black and white of course. Many mangas are specific audiences, like your age group. Of course you can stick to regular western comics, I would recommend:

Green Lantern : Secret Origin
Ultimate Spiderman: Volume 1, Power and Responsibility
The Flash: Rebirth
Captain America: Winter Soldier
And the recent Justice league Book "Justice League: Origins" i believe its called (I have it in issues)

There are all brilliant places to learn about those characters.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 06:23:16 BDT
AJR says:
You might consider the Buffy series - Buffy Season 8 concluded a little while ago, and it's readily available in 8 volumes (and Season 9 has already started).

There are a number of series around Joss Whedon's work (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse - I think there's even one for Dr Horrible!). I really liked Fray (kind of Buffy in the future).

Manga is another option, but there's a vast range, from books for kids through to seriously adult material. One (gentle) place to start might be Fruits Basket.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 11:54:59 BDT
E. Quish says:
Locke & Key is phenomenal, Ex Machina is brilliant, Fear Agent is good sci fi fun, Darwyn Cooke's Parker books are cool, retro crime stories with great art (see also Cooke's The New Frontier and Criminal by Ed Brubaker), Marvels by Kurt Busiek is a clever and historic look at superheroes through time, Sweet Tooth is a great post-apocalyptic journey with a tragic and mysterious plot, Chew is a really funny combination of cooking and killing, Powers is like X-Men meets the Shield, Scalped is like a great HBO/AMC drama about native americans.

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 11:59:53 BDT
E. Quish says:
oh and nearly forgot 100 Bullets, Y: The Last Man and Blacksad are all excellent.

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 12:29:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Aug 2012 12:31:25 BDT
wally says:
If you are happy to start reading an ongoing series then Morning Glories might be a good choice. There are three volumes out so far and it's about 6 'gifted' teenagers who enrol in a sinister, Orwellian boarding school full of ghosts, psychics and time travel. It's a bit like Lost with it's constant plot twists.

If you want to try a finished series then maybe 100 Bullets. It's 13 volumes long but worth it. It begins as a series of noir revenge tales featuring Agent Graves, a mysterious figure who gives people who have been wronged a briefcase with a gun and 100 bullets and a promise that if they use them they will not be prosecuted. Later it becomes a conspiracy thriller about who Agent Graves really is.

Or you could try Ex-Machina. It's a bit like the West Wing with a bit of Sci-Fi and super heroes. It's about the worlds first real superhero 'the Great Machine' who has given up his secret identity and got elected as mayor of New York. It's an interesting commentary on American politics with plenty of humour.

If you are willing to try the superhero thing I'd suggest Frank Miller's Batman Year One or Dark Knight Returns. Both are brilliant in different ways and both are stand alone stories so you are not expected to have read a million other batman comics first.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is apparently the best selling graphic novel series amongst female readers, so maybe try that if you want something with a more girlie angle?

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 13:15:54 BDT
Channers says:
There's Strangers In Paradise which I reccomend, Fables which is ongoing is good, Preacher is a definite! How about Sin City? In terms of Batman and other costume, please don't rule them out as there are some gems, so I would recommend Batman:Hush, also how about 'The Authority' especially the first lot...hmm so much to recommend, I agree with alot of the fine folks here to be honest.

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 16:38:07 BDT
Thank you very much for all these suggestions so far - wow! I will have a good browse over the weekend and let you know how I get on. Good weekends to all of you!

Posted on 18 Aug 2012 10:21:39 BDT
Taidgh Lynch says:
I'd recommend anything from the excellent Charles Burns and Jeff Lemire's Essex County.

Posted on 2 Sep 2012 21:08:49 BDT
Plod says:
I think you should search out that classic 'Father Ted' - no seriously Watchmen - 300 - are my favorites - Kev

Posted on 3 Sep 2012 10:49:24 BDT
Catkin says:
If you want to try Manga go for 'Death Note' or 'Nana'. Death Note sounds like it would suit your taste better. It doesn't drivel on like a lot of manga the story is really good. Occult/fantasy/modern day/ thriller.

Posted on 6 Sep 2012 23:38:33 BDT
S. Stewart says:
I would definitely consider The league of extraordinary gentleman. There's so many references packed into it of which you can find websites of its annotations online, i just re-read vol 3:1910 and every panel is packed with references most subtle and unknowable to the layman not extremely familiar with that periods literature and life then. It shows the amount of effort put into it and for a man who in his documentary describes how relatively badd he did in grammer school i wonder if any of them have produced work like this which shows an erudite and brilliantly entertaining author

The classic series well worth getting into making sure to read them in order:
Sandman (and afterwards the GN's about his sisters death)
Hellblazer
Preacher
The invisibles is good to, buy the omnibus from amazon.com it would work out cheaper last time i checked.

THe new editions of Animal man and Swamp thing are great.

Alan moore obviously check out his other work watchmen, from hell, neonomicon

Grant morrisons filth and We3 are great stand alone novels without getting stuck into buying a series and having to keep splashing out to finish the series it can get expensive collecting a whole series .

Batman i'd reckon Azzarellos work like Broken city as a good stand-alone to try and if you do get into batman the story lines involving the red hood i found amongst the most engrossing.

Posted on 7 Nov 2012 11:28:12 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Dec 2012 21:26:32 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2012 18:44:48 GMT
Beth A says:
you should look into the indie/small press world. for instance, i can't recommend the oddly named "Sleaze Castle Etcetera: The Incomplete Final Cut, Vol. 1" too highly

Sleaze Castle Etcetera: The Incomplete Final Cut, Vol. 1

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2012 12:54:05 GMT
johnyy says:
The life of Ernie poke is a gem.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 01:32:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Nov 2012 01:42:11 GMT
Dogtooth says:
I have doubts about about Andrew Chambliss's writing on Buffy Season Nine, but I agree that Fray and Buffy Season Eight are well worth reading. You should also consider Angel and Faith, Joss Whedon's Runaways, his Astonishing X-Men and Grant Morrison's New X-Men.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 18:50:41 GMT
Cerberus says:
DMZ: On the Ground v. 1. Heard plenty about it and sounds great.
The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind Box Set. Miyazaki's finest work to-date with ease for me.
Domu: A Child's Dream. Fantastic, Otomo shows he can do the supernatural.
Akira Volume 1 (Akira (del Rey)). Up there with the best.

Posted on 22 Nov 2012 13:12:07 GMT
W. Fuller says:
I personally like "Transmapolitan" (if I spelt it correctly) 8 books if I remembe correctly. Bit dark but very good and the hero is a bastard but one you kind of like!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 16:41:57 GMT
Sam Quixote says:
It's "Transmetropolitan" by Warren Ellis (writer) and Darick Robertson (artist), and it's 10 volumes (or 11 if you count "Vol 0: Tales of Human Waste"), and yeah I totally agree that it's a brilliant series. Spider Jerusalem is a Hunter S Thompson-type drugged up journalist in the future on the hunt for truth and justice, out to take down the corrupt US President, the Smiler. Awesome fun comics.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 20:30:16 GMT
Try the Minx titles. You can pick them up cheaply on Amazon. I have enjoyed the ones I have tried. I am male and over 24!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2012 13:51:18 GMT
S Collins says:
you must try Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore - more girly angle but with lots of twists and turns and superb graphics. Also, Love and Rockets is what hooked me on comics. enjoy exploring x

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 21:56:51 GMT
Chief. says:
Well what kind of stuff do you actually like?

We all have our favourites, but what are you into?

My personal faves availible in TPB would include Preacher, Hitman, 100 Bullets, Walking Dead, Invincible and some stuff you probably wouldnt be into (war stuff basically - Charleys War, Johnny Red, Rat Pack, Vietnam Journal etc)

Posted on 2 Dec 2012 22:22:44 GMT
KH says:
If you liked the books that you've listed there (like Watchmen, V for Vendetta etc) I think you would also like:
Astro City by Kurt Busiek
The Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 21:58:30 GMT
mr.d.duck says:
the death of captain america
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the comics discussion forum (154 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  comics discussion forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  16 Aug 2012
Latest post:  16 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions