Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > comics discussion forum

graphic novel suggestions, please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 50 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 Dec 2012 23:24:57 GMT
Connor says:
Scott Snyders Court of Owls batman book

Posted on 10 Dec 2012 15:57:15 GMT
DrWinston says:
Y: The Last Man is a must read. Runaways is pretty good too. 100 Bullets and Preacher and others. Recent ones I'd recommend are Saga (only 1 TBP out so far so perfect time to jump on board), Chew and Morning Glories.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2012 19:15:50 GMT
Beth A says:
if you like Strangers in Paradise and Love and Rockets, then i think you'd enjoy Sleaze Castle

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2012 21:34:13 GMT
Martin says:
I enjoyed WE3, great concept and artwork, but a bit short possibly.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 19:45:06 GMT
Blankets/Habibi by Craig Thompson. Blacksad most definitely.

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 16:53:35 GMT
Joe says:
I love Transmetropolitan, Sweet Tooth, Chew, and All Star Superman. They're all collected series, some with more volumes than others and some still have volumes to be released but they're all FANTASTIC!

As for characters like Batman, I'd recommend The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Batman: Year One for stories that you don't have to know much (if any) continuity to understand them.

If you're interested in starting from the beginning of long ongoing series', try some of the new DC graphic novels, i.e. 'Batman vol 1: Court of Owls'; you can jump in at the beginning of the relaunch and volume 2 is coming out soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 11:41:31 GMT
Adam Adamant says:
Sleaze Castle, Strangers in Paradise and Fables all get my vote

Also I'd recomend Why I hate Saturn Kyle Baker, Box Office Poison (I've had 2 copies stolen by girls that don't read comics), Roberta Gregorys Bitchy Bitch and Winging it, Coleen Dorens A Distant Soil (currently available as a web comic so you can try before you buy) and more lightweight suggestions Bone (I recomend Bone to everyone) and Leave it to Chance (especially vol 1) and Girl Genius by Phil and Kaja Foglio (also available as a web comic so you can taste test it)

Posted on 31 Dec 2012 23:29:17 GMT
J. Grinling says:
Rucka's Queen and Country for a well written spy series
BKVs Y the last man, Saga
Hellblazer
Carey's Lucifer or Unwritten
G.I. Joe Cobra. Trust me on that one...it's what 24, Sleeper Cell and Homeland wished they were.
Daredevil - Bendis, Brubaker or Waid
Fatale
Sleeper
Criminal
Chew
Prophet
Batwoman because its beautiful

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 22:22:45 GMT
The ones that the original poster has already read seem to be lighter reads, as compared to the Batman graphic novels - which are much darker. The Batman ones are all time my favourites, as are most of the "Punisher-Max" series.

But if you are looking for ones similar to the what you have read, I would suggest any of the "Alex Rider" graphic novels by Anthony Horowitz.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 00:05:32 GMT
Russtafarian says:
I've only been 'recently' been getting into graphic novels in the year or two. I've started with the more well-known ones, such as Watchmen, and then dabbled into others. I prefer it when you can read get a whole complete set (that way you know the story comes to an end!), but I've got exceptions. Here's a little list:

* Bone (beautiful, humourous)
* Y: The Last Man (brilliant story, mix of humour and serious tone in places)
* Chew (Humour, lov ethe art-style... it's on-going, at Vol.6 now).
* Punisher Max (series, dark tone throughout, but I love the characters relentlessness)
* Scud (Wacky, off-the-wall, 1990s MTV style)
* Marvel "Noir" titles (Spiderman, X-Men, Iron man, etc. A different take on the characters. Not essential but i enjoyed them).
* Palestine (you will cry!)
* Maus (You will cry more!)
* Batman: Year One (Classic Frank Miller)
* Echo (A full collection in one book, by Terry Moore. Apparently not as good as Strangers in Paradise, but thought it was a good read).
* Transmetropolitan (A definite must-read)

That'll do for now! I'm eyeing up the new 52 stuff by DC comics - Court of Owls: Batman has been mentioned.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 14:06:15 GMT
Sam Quixote says:
Definitely get "Court of Owls", it's an amazing Batman story arc. I also highly recommend Scott Snyder's earlier Batman book "The Black Mirror".

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 22:53:47 GMT
Jim Comrie says:
If you're fairly new to comics then I would suggest you avoid the usual superhero stuff which is almost always aimed squarely at the boys. Of the stuff previously listed, I would agree with the suggestion of 'The Tale of One Bad Rat' by Bryan Talbot which is a rewarding read and may well lead you on to some of his other work. I'd also endorse 'The Sandman' by Neil Gaiman although you might not like it all.

There are some excellent female writers/artists in the field. You might want to investigate, for example, Phoebe Gloeckner, Alison Bechdel, Jessica Abel, Ellen Forney and Melinda Gebbie. There are plenty of others too including the wonderful Alexa Kitchen whose first book, 'Drawing Comics is Easy!(Except When Its Hard)' was published when she was seven!! Well worth a look.

I like comic strips and there are many fine collections out there. Two really nice ones with female lead characters are 'Mary Perkins On Stage' (multiple volumes) and 'The Heart of Juliet Jones' (two or three volumes so far). They reprint American strips from the 1950s onwards and are of their time but they deserve your attention if only to see comics that were aimed at an adult audience. Personally, I think they're great. Related to these is the Kelly Green graphic novels which were produced by Stan Drake (Juliet Jones) and Leonard Starr (Mary Perkins) for a French adult audience. A crime-fighting heroine, it's one of my guilty pleasures.

I also like Eddie Campbell's work - various graphic novels and 'From Hell' with Alan Moore - but I'm biased as he was my old school pal.

Anyway, happy reading.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 22:57:12 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 8 Jan 2013 22:59:23 GMT]

Posted on 22 Jan 2013 13:04:07 GMT
gotta say check out the walking dead or my personal fav marvels inferno

Posted on 24 Jan 2013 14:22:42 GMT
Cluedopoly says:
I would definitely agree with those who recommended We3, Maus and Bone... all excellent. I would also like to suggest:

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K Vaughan
Four Women by Sam Kieth

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 05:44:32 GMT
Biologist says:
Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is a magnificent read, worth every penny.

Posted on 25 Feb 2013 18:46:09 GMT
Judge Anderson Judge Anderson: The Psi Files (Rebellion 2000ad)
ABC WarriorsABC Warriors: The Meknificent Seven (2000 AD)
Durham RedDurham Red: Scarlet Cantos (2000 Ad)
Nikolai Dante Nikolai Dante: Sympathy for the Devil
Nemesis The Warlock The Complete Nemesis the Warlock: Bk. 1

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2013 23:02:22 GMT
Steve D says:
I completely forgot Durham red existed! *buys

Posted on 1 Mar 2013 13:08:35 GMT
Wylimo says:
You've had lots of suggestions, here's a few more, with some reinforcing of a couple already made:
Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki- My tastes in everything are so varied I'm reluctant to ever say anything is my favourite. This really pushes me..
Girl Genius by Phil and Kaja Foglio- Mad science in alternative steampunkish central victorian europe. Exciting, smart, funny, romantic and you can read it for free, legally, at their website. If you're like me, you'll also buy the books.
Genshiken by Kio Shimoku- beautifully drawn manga about relationships within a group of otaku at a japanese college. Heart-stopping moments of personal drama and lots of funny.
Castle Waiting by Linda Medley- how to describe...it's like a slice of life comic for minor fairytale characters in a castle.
The Maggie and Hopey stories by Jaime Hernandez, you could start with Maggie the Mechanic. Early on fantasy and science fiction mix in with Maggie's life as a punk in Los Angeles. Kind of punk rock magic realism.
Hellboy by Mike Mignola. The big red guy is the star of possibly the best creator owned series in the west, if you have any affection for big awkward guys hitting bigger monsters.
Dykes to watch out for by Alison Bechdel- a wonderful soap opera of the lives of a group of (mostly) women and an alternative social history of the US.
Selina's Big Score by Darwyn Cooke- Catwoman, in civilian clothes, in classy, noir, crime caper.
Green Manor by Bodart and Vehlmann- Amazing dark and ironic Victorian crime short stories.
Luther Arkwright by Bryan Talbot- Across dimensions Luther struggles to prevent the end of everything
Yotsuba! by Kiyohiko Azuma- the author is not the best illustrator ever (although, perfectly competent), but he might be the best storyteller, enabling his short tales of this small girl to provide more out loud laughing than anything else I know.
Bakuman by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata- the Death Note guys do a manga about creating manga, which gently deconstucts shonen manga's workings. Also funny and v. well drawn, you'll notice my obsessions.. Obata is the master of making not very visual things, like people thinking hard about other people trying to out-think them (Death Note), people writing and drawing comics (Bakuman) and people playing a board game (Hikaru No Go) so exciting and interesting.
I'll stop now. Good luck with finding new stuff you like, always excited by people finding this medium.

Posted on 6 Mar 2013 18:05:35 GMT
K. Booth says:
Im a newb too, but definately read skim

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2013 22:23:13 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 17 Jul 2013 12:11:40 BDT]

Posted on 23 Mar 2013 13:15:41 GMT
tallmanbaby says:
I would recommend,

Tintin - always bears re-reading
Mister X - the most stylish comic ever, though the story went off the rails pretty quickly
BPRD - by Mike Mignola, who also does Hellboy
Concrete - gentle and thoughtful
Mind Mgmt - recently optioned by Ridley Scott, if you can believe the internet
Resident Alien - a real charmer

apart from my weekly 2000AD, I have switched to reading my comics as digital downloads on my iPad, the Dark Horse App and ComiXology are decent enough most of the time.

Posted on 3 Apr 2013 14:36:54 BDT
Lee Tudor says:
You seem to like a lot of the stuff I've read as well. My girlfriend and I are really enjoying the following atm:

(1) Sandman by Neil Gaiman
(2) Saga by Brian K Vaughan
(3) Fatale by Ed Brubaker
(4) Ex Machina
(5) Y the Last Man by Brian K Vaughan
(6) From Hell by Alan Moore
(7) Fables by Bill Willingham

Enjoy :)

Posted on 7 Apr 2013 01:28:35 BDT
Cheesegrater says:
There are loads of great titles listed above, most of which I would definitely recommend.

I'd probably go with the writers you've already read for now though (Alan Moore, Daniel Clowes, Mark Millar, etc.), which should keep you busy for ages. Undoubtedly, things like Alan Moore's work in Swamp Thing will lead you to other great writers. For example, Swamp Thing features John Constantine (from Hellbazer - written by amongst others, Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis).

However... Since you've asked for recommendations, I don't think anyone else has mentioned the following.

Moonshadow (JM Demateis)
Habibi (Craig Thompson)
Gemma Bovery (Posy Simmonds)
Breakfast After Noon (Andi Watson)
Madman (Mike Allred)
Sock Monkey (Tony Millionaire)
Shade The Changing Man (Peter Milligan)
Animal Man (Grant Morrison)

Most of all though, read what you like and, just occasionally, pick a few things off the shelf at your local bookshop (or comic shop) that you've never heard of, but like the look of (there are some things that you can't really do as well online). You may find some things you don't like, but I've found some real favourites that way.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 20:25:31 BDT
i can give you a few suggestions, Y the last man is a story where all males die bar one, its a brilliant read. walking dead, if you like horror comics. Joe the barbarian is a one shot graphic novel, where a teen is traped in his house having a diabetic fit and everything is turned into a fantasy. Chew is one of my favs, a cop who eats things a see's eveything it comes into contact with, very funny, werid and wounderful. if you like superheroes pick Invincible. hope this helps and enjoy the read
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the comics discussion forum (155 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  comics discussion forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  16 Aug 2012
Latest post:  16 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions