Customer Discussions > comics discussion forum

Comic Guru

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Dec 2010 02:09:22 GMT
I actually own Comic Guru and have recently reopened the shop in the center of Cardiff. I thought it might be interesting to find out what people thought of the website and any service that they receive from it. Hopefully use any constructive criticism to alter the way the site is structured.

Feel free to disparage or praise at your leisure. I'll read all the responses and reply to all that I can. Here is hoping that 2011 is much better than 2010.

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 17:39:56 GMT
Chris Giles says:
Hi
Comic Guru is great. you guys have helped to successfully complete a much sought after Transformers back issue collection of considerably hard to find items! so thanks.
i've not been to your shop as live miles away, but your online services are satisfactory and very user-friendly.
You have quite an impressive back-issue library with detailed listings of what you have in stock which is helpful.
if possible it would be cool if you could display more pictures of the products you sell, but saying that, what you do show is quite comprehensive.
Only slight negative point is the price of variant covered comics, which seems to be more expensive when I've compared them to other comic shops, especially with delivery costs on top if buying online.
other than that its a great service, quick replies to email queries when needed and reliable delivery of items in well-packaged parcels.

I always like to support local comic book shops if I can, especially as there is a Forbidden Planet in Cardiff as well!
Keep up the good work.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2011 21:16:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jan 2011 21:22:33 GMT
Hi Chris thanks for your feedback and very happy to help. With our variant prices we follow a simple straightforward formula. Most variants are only available if you've ordered enough copies to qualify. In most cases we order extra issues that we know we can't sell just to qualify for the variants as we have requests from certain customers for specific covers. Sometimes we order them speculatively just to offer them as an alternative. So a one in ten variant is usually charged at the cost price for ten issues rounded down to the nearest tenner. Same goes for the other variants if its a one in fifteen or a one in twenty etc. I've actually sold one in a thousand variant transformers incentives. However I did draw the line at that and only charged half of what it would work out with the above formula. Check out the sheer amount of copies we have of Tranformers Stormbringer for evidence of our thousand copy order. LOL Anyhoo hope that helps in explaining our pricing policy. Just to put it into further perspective we actually give our standing order customers an automatic 20% discount of any and all products they purchase from Comic Guru so this would give you a free standard variant for every fifty quid you spent at the shop. Most variants are in the 9.99 bracket although I'm sure if you scoured the website you'd find the odd example which doesn't quite fit with the above formula. Anyway have a good one and if there are any more suggestions or queries keep them coming. All the best, Kristian Barry

P.S. As for the pictures and descriptions on the website I'm working on trying to put pictures on every item and product that we have. However just to complete every DC title took me three months of 10 hour days. LOL. I think it may take a long while before I can boast a completely representative website. Believe me when I say that I'm working on it.

Posted on 2 Jun 2011 17:03:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jun 2011 17:07:33 BDT
Cass Whelan says:
Hey Comic Guru!
Im a regular (142) and friday is my favourite time of the week, just because I get to go to Comic Guru after school with my friend. You're always very helpful and customer friendly and great at back-ordering things and keeping me noted with my standing order so a very big thank you for that!
Im forever browsing the website and the masses on there too, like the post above the website is very user friendly and I have no trouble finding what i'm looking for. The new arrival section is very helpful as I go on IGN to find the newest releases and there ratings, so I know what I want to find. But I think like the other post by Chris, shared the same constructive critism about the display pictures and how you have a lot of them which is great, but a few are missing.
And just as an idea perhaps to aid new readers, a "our/my favourite" where you feature one of the newest comics of the week that is your favouite.
I look forward to my next visit to comic guru, it's always a great to have a look around and catch up on the comic book world with you guys, thanks.

Posted on 23 Jun 2011 14:57:59 BDT
Hi,
at the moment I am collecting marvel graphic novels. I have been following the civil war, death of captain america and planet hulk story lines. Can you suggest anything similar to these that are good? I usualy prefer comics that include either the hulk, ghost rider, the avengers or new avengers but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Posted on 12 Jul 2011 16:19:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jul 2011 16:21:38 BDT
I once ordered from Comic Guru in 2006, when i first started reading comics - there isn't a comic store near me that doesn't require two buses to get to and full of judgey elitist types - ordered from Comic Guru and i remember them writing a little hand written note with the comics, i thought that was pretty nice! Prices were fair but the P&P killed it, so from that day on i stuck to TPBs - but it was still fun receiving my first (and only) singles from you! Good luck in the future!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2011 22:06:16 BDT
Hi Cass,

Thanks for the suggestions on the website. I'd actually like to implement the recommendation feature but unfortunately the guy who does my website programming is studying to be a surgeon in America and hasn't really had the time to sort all these little things out. Also unfortunately the picture add function isn't working at the moment since we replaced the hard drive and upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit. Until we can work out what is stopping us from listing pictures on the site I can't even keep the top 25 uptodate. Sorry. Obviously this is on our radar to fix but because Luke gives his time for free he has to give priority to his training.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2011 22:10:35 BDT
Hello,

Well there are loads of crossover storylines that feature your favourite characters. I'll list them in no particular order. Fear Itself is currently running but the whole house of M story and Avengers Disassembled was also seminal in recent years. Almost five years of events flowed out of Avengers Disassembled and only now in Avengers Childrens Crusade are the last embers of the story finally being completed. Secret Invasion was good but the ending felt anticlimactic. It reads very well as a complete story however so maybe it was designed as a trade. I am loving Fear Itself and Siege was excellent as well. I know it doesn't feature characters you've mentioned in your original post but let me just go on record and recommend Captain Britain and MI 13. One of the best titles of the last five years IMHO. More character developement in one issue for Blade in issue 5 than he's had in almost a decade. Brilliant stuff. Try Infinity War/Infinity Crusade/Infinity Gauntlet for a bit of classic balls to the wall superheroing. Hope that helps for now.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2011 22:16:22 BDT
Hello,

I think our P and P is pretty reasonable overall. We don't make any profit out of it and if you order enough titles it almost always costs us more to post. I think if I recall correctly its 3.50 for a single item and then ten pence per item after that. This covers the cost of our board backed envelopes/bubble bags/boxes and then after that its just down to the weight.

You should reconsider the whole TPB thing only though as the best books of recent years like Captain Britain and MI 13 as well as Guardians Of The Galaxy Secret Warrios and Thunderbolts hover dangerously close to cancellation. What happens is that if too many books lose readers to trades then they get cancelled. Then there are no more trades for that title either. Captain Britain for instance was only about two hundred issues under the cancellation wire so it ended up being killed off prematurely despite reasonable demand in TPB form. In fact I believe volume one TPB from Titan which published before the American edition actually went to 5 or 6 printings before it was eventually collected in the states. A shame. It was a stunning title and deserved to continue.

Posted on 28 Sep 2011 11:32:15 BDT
Filippo says:
Back to your original request for feedback. I found your site yesterday while looking for some recent back issues of Marvel comics. Reasonable prices and good selection made me place the order. To be honest I found your site confusing: many functions are disabled (e.g. FAQ, Delivery, My Account, etc.) and I couldn't find how to enter a delivery address. However, the back issue search is straightforward and functional and that's good.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2011 11:55:30 GMT
Hello, yes those don't work yet because the chap who does my website is currently studying to be a Doctor at Harvard in the US. While he's there he hasn't the time for little more than minimal repair and maintenance. As for the delivery address we used to get a lot of fraudulent transactions so we disabled it. If you have a different address then ring me at the shop to arrange it after making the order.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2011 23:14:08 GMT
Harry B says:
I also found this slightly confusing, guessing that the next page in the transaction process would request my delivery address but before I knew it my payment was complete, so just to check, will my issues be delivered to my billing address? If so that's fine. Otherwise great site and thank you for providing me with such an extensive range of comics.

Posted on 20 Dec 2011 10:21:53 GMT
Maceuk says:
I think it would help a lot if you sorted your graphic novels by series take infinite crisis for example there's a ton of stories relating to that novel but if you don't know finding them is hard and mainly by chance.

Why not try something different and group these together to make it easier for people to see exactly what they need for their collections and group them together so all spin offs for example prequels and sequels together this would make me shop with you everytime.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2012 21:45:29 GMT
As I said further up in one of my other replies we send out to the card address so that we cut down on fraudulent transactions which were a problem when we first opened up. If you ever want to clarify anything at all then please ring me at the shop and I'll be more than happy to deal with things there.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2012 21:48:07 GMT
Hello, yes I can see what your saying however what I've done on the website is list everything under its banner headline so if you do a search on the site for final criss or fear itself everything that comes under that heading will show up. Currently there is nowhere for us to do it any more efficiently. This would bring up all comics that were specific tie ins but won't include issues of ongoing series that had tie ins. For that I'm afraid I'd recommend the wiki page for each of these events. I do list where possible the tie in issues with the titles for example Herc issue 8 fear itself. Hope that helps.

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 13:58:40 BDT
D. Meakin says:
Hi. On the 13th february 2012 I ordered Transformers Ongoing issue 22 from your website. The transaction was completed and the money was taken from my account but as of today I have still yet to receive the issue. Two weeks after I placed the order I sent you an email regarding the situation of non-delivery but I received no reply from this. A further two weeks later I sent you a letter regarding the still non-delivery of the item and the non-reply of the email. I enclosed with this letter a copy of the email receipt which proved that I had ordered from you but, as of this moment, I have still yet to receive a reply from this as well!

It would seem to me that you have no intention of honouring the order and also have no intention of replying to any queries regarding this. Please prove me wrong by either sending me the comic I ordered and/or replying to this query.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 17:52:16 BDT
Cerberus says:
Ouch that sound's rough and at first I thought complain to Amazon but it's from an outside source... naughty using Amazons forums for advertising isn't it by the Comic Guru Ltd ??? lol . I hope you hear back or get a full refund.

I've bought comics from here http://megacitycomics.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html if I couldn't get them from Amazon ( other comic shops are available but these guys I would recommend ) so if they have what you're after and the price is the same give them a go.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 20:57:23 BDT
Filippo says:
I ordered from them 6 or 7 times and never had problems so far. I had a couple of unanswered mails though. Try calling them at the phone. For some reason they don't seem to read their mail too often, which is weird for a shop which offers online ordering. Hopefully you can solve your problem at the phone. They were nice with me the couple of times I called.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012 11:12:44 BDT
D. Meakin says:
Seeing that its now been over 7 days since I last posted my problem on here and they have yet to answer it I can assume that this company cannot be trusted. They don't reply to email, letters and discussion boards (the latter of which {this one} they have replied to positive posts that commend their achievements but not ones to sort out problems). I think I might just phone them up but my opinion of them is extremely low because all three previous attempts to contact them have failed and I doubt they would sort out the problem by phone either.

Posted on 1 May 2012 13:21:16 BDT
ID WATSON says:
I ordered some books from their website over six weeks ago and the items never turned up despite the money being taken from my account.
i've emailed to complain and chase the whereabouts of my order several times - all of which have been ignored. I'll never shop with them again.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2012 09:58:49 BDT
D. Meakin says:
My comic has now turned up but it was only posted in April despite me ordering it (and paying for it) in February. Furthermore, the postage they charged me was 3.50 although the postage on the packaging that I got the comic in was only about 1.07 which made the cardboard envelope cost me just over 2! Like you, I'll never shop with them again due to the poor service and the contempt they appear to have for their customers.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 19:05:40 BDT
Hello Mr Meakin,

If you look on the news section of the website it would have informed people not to contact me for information on their order or any order inquiries via email as the email system is currently lagging so heavily it takes me over a minute just to access a single email. Instead I urge you to contact me by phone if there is a problem or a delay in your orders. We don't post daily we post twice a week (A Monday or a Friday.) If there is a problem with us finding an item then this can extend delivery times considerably especially if I have to source a replacement elsewhere. If there is a delay it is because we are sourcing a replacement copy or simply looking for the copy that the system says we have. Sorry for any delays but the only way to contact us is by phone these days as we don't respond to emails. Please see the news section of the website for details.

This site is not monitored regularly so there is no real point trying to make inquiries through here as I visit here once a month if that. The bottom line is please ring me at the shop. 02921 328434

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 19:09:46 BDT
Hello Mr Watson,

I don't monitor this site very often at all maybe once a month or even longer. If there is a problem with your delivery or a delay it is best to ring me at the shop as we don't respond to emails anymore due to a problem with our software. It takes over a minute to open an email let alone to respond to it so we have reverted to a telephone service during working hours. Posting here is pointless as we just don't monitor it. I am only ever a phone call away. 02921328434. The likelihood is that your order could not be located or a replacement found. Just in case though that the order has somehow fallen between the cracks so to speak please ring me and we can do a search on the system. We are only human and mistakes can be made. Please accept my apologies on any delay however.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 19:18:01 BDT
Well I am sorry you believe we are showing contempt for you but I had to purchase the replacement copy of Transformers issue 22 from a US source which cost me considerably more 15.00 quid for the entire transaction so that I could make up to you for its late delivery. I had been unable to find another copy of Transformers Ongoing 22. Contempt is not something I ever show my customers and I'm a little hurt that my efforts to complete your order which i have to admit probably accounted for more than twenty hours of searching through my back catalogue and then the extra time and money needed to purchase it from abroad just to satisfy your order and make amends for me not being able to get it to you within a reasonable timeframe are being seen as contempt. Far from it. I also want to point out that our postage costs are a mean average across all our websales and there is zero profit made on our postage right across the board. More importantly we haven't raised our postage costs for eight years despite increase after increase from royal mail etc. We have always advised customers to order more than one comic at a time as the average cost per item drops dramatically the more comics you order at any one time. We even give our Standing Order customers 20% discount across our entire range of stock as customers matter to me. I really wish you'd rung me at the shop and I'd have explained this to you directly.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 13:11:29 BDT
D. Meakin says:
Thanks for the reply and I apologise for anything that I've said that may have hurt you in any way. I do however suggest that you remove your email from the site however if you do not wish people to contact you via it. Many people these days prefer to contact a company by email rather than phone because it can hold more weight than a phone call and it can also be used to add attachments such as copies of the invoice etc. as proof of purchase. I only used the words I did because I had made contact with you three times (email, post and this discussion board) and because I had not received a reply from any of them I assumed that a phone conversation wouldn't have made any difference either.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the comics discussion forum (153 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  comics discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  28 Dec 2010
Latest post:  15 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions