Customer Discussions > comedy discussion forum

spitting image - should we bring it back

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 76 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2010 12:57:48 GMT
vnllaS0ulMan says:
I like your idea about a show of film spoofs. They've done this on things like The Simpsons but a show dedicated to it would be interesting to see.

Oh, CGI means Computer Generated Image.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2010 18:54:46 GMT
Just imagine the material they'd have taking the p*** out of these clowns in the govenment today

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2010 19:45:13 GMT
TheFoe says:
They definitely missed a trick with Bridgegate!!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2010 09:50:14 GMT
Danni D says:
reagan would have to resurrected from the dead

Posted on 23 Apr 2010 16:01:58 BDT
I. Young says:
The fantastic puppets tend to make people overlook the scripts and jokes which were often stretched and quite poor. However I think the writers had a bit more political savvy than whoever wrote that atrocious CGI drivel on the other year in the same Sunday night slot.

Posted on 2 May 2010 04:21:52 BDT
Yes please, bring it back, so many new characters now to lampoon. David, Gordon, and Nick.
Cheryl Cole, Simon Cowell et al. David Beckham of course and Posh, Wayne Rooney..........so much to catch up on.

Posted on 15 May 2010 17:34:36 BDT
Jon says:
I agree with I Young. It was often just not funny.

Posted on 16 May 2010 11:35:15 BDT
StormSworder says:
I think it went downhill very badly from 1994 onwards. The last three series (1994 to 1996) looked great but they should have spent more money on decent script-writers rather than just show-offy visuals. That Autumn 1994 series was just the nadir of the whole Spitting Image canon. I remember being quite relieved when they announced the next series would be the last, as at least this meant it couldn't sink to even lower levels. I think they should only bring it back if they can get people who can write the high quality scripts of earlier series (unlikely judging from those pitiful Ant and Dec sketches in that Best Of Spitting Image documentary).

Posted on 16 May 2010 17:04:50 BDT
CJ says:
I'd have been curious to see how they could have sent up GW Bush, as he was getting past lampoon. Cameron is a good candidate now, I suppose, and Simon Cowell belongs there too.

Posted on 16 May 2010 23:21:24 BDT
Charlieost says:
I do remember the famous fascist tory party skit prior to some election being particularly effective apart from the tories getting back in and the crudity of the presidents brain skit, Sometimes it was painful to watch and not in a side splitting way. It was all so very eighties and seems so last century now. I would hope that we have become more discerning but doubt it. Fluck and Law was it. Whatever happened to them?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2010 19:45:14 BDT
D. Climo says:
Spitting Image is back.

It's called 'The News'.

Posted on 14 Jul 2010 16:48:48 BDT
TheFoe says:
Spitting image missed a trick with our national football team's laughable performance in the World cup, come to think of it Spitting Image probably couldn't have topped it.

Posted on 15 Jul 2010 16:31:24 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I think "Spitting Image" was very much a product of its time and it just wouldn't be the same if it came back. In its day it was innovative and what we really need now is something equally ground-breaking to do a similar job. Easier said than done, perhaps; there's a marked lack of originality about so much "entertainment" these days and for satire in TV we have to rely on the tired and now only intermittently funny HIGNFY or the even more weary (wearisome?) "Mock The Week" which is a long way past its sell by date! There is always Bremner, Bird & Fortune, I suppose, but even that seems to have gone off the boil, with Bremner in particular taking himself far too seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2010 21:20:35 BDT
TheFoe says:
I disagree Sou'Wester, IMO the scripts from day one were very hit and miss and were nearer miss as the series reached its conclusion. The puppets were always spot on though and with new scriptwriters, could create a potential monster hit. Let's face it there will never be a shortage of celebs, actors, politicians to ridicule and I'd love to see the Dragon's Den get a good drubbing, especially Deborah Meeden who actually looks like a puppet. And how about a greasy Piers Morgan, that would be a cinch!!

Posted on 18 Jul 2010 10:32:59 BDT
I suppose at least they would be able to save on puppets as, to me at least, Cameron, Osborne and Clegg look practically identical and Hague apart the rest are complete non-entities.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2010 17:47:05 BDT
D. Climo says:
A few months back I would have suggested Gordon Brown but then how could we tell the difference?

Posted on 2 Aug 2010 17:07:50 BDT
Ms. T. Weech says:
I know the autumn 1994 series (series 17, aired from Sunday 6 November 1994 to Sunday 18 December) will be coming to DVD but not until 2012. Though the only episode I personally like from that series is the episode that aired on Sunday the 4th of December.

Posted on 3 Aug 2010 03:25:58 BDT
goodbookboy says:
Listen carefully: Sarkozy.

Posted on 21 Oct 2011 13:13:37 BDT
StormSworder says:
I don't think there are going to be any more Spitting Image DVDs which seems a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2011 13:53:22 BDT
A. Horton says:
A cert character would be Cameron.Dressed as Max Miller,the more accurate outfit for one who`s attempt at humour at the despatch box resembles The Cheeky Chappy,more than statesman MacMillan.

Posted on 21 Oct 2011 22:14:33 BDT
D. Lench says:
this was a brilliant show, it should of never ended, get rid of the reality crap and bring this back instead

Posted on 28 Oct 2011 17:36:25 BDT
Mr S Hubbard says:
I so miss shows like Spitting Image. You would never get shows like this today or others like Dennis Pennis or Clive Anderson Talks Back. Instead comedy from the likes of Ricky Gervais, Jonathan Ross and Russel Brand does everything to suck up to Hollywood and make sure that certain celebrities are above parody.

Posted on 16 Nov 2011 11:00:23 GMT
This would be such a big hit if it was returned as we now have the worst bunch of politicians and so called celebrities that really do need sending up.
All we get now are reallity shows, which have becomme boring, especially when the likes of Jordan annd Andre are constantly being pushed at us. I think those two are just pretty disgusting creatures to tell people about their boring lives.
I would love to see a puppet of Jordan, but they couldn't find enough make up for it, vile thing that she is

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2012 13:58:18 GMT
sistermoon says:
When the Iron Lady movie was trailed, I thought Meryl Streep couldn't hold a candle to Steve Nallon as the voice of Margaret Thatcher in those 80's/90's Spitting Image episodes.

Posted on 12 Jan 2012 05:19:16 GMT
Marc says:
What about taking the mickey out of the banks?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the comedy discussion forum (174 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  comedy discussion forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  21 Apr 2009
Latest post:  18 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions