Customer Discussions > comedy discussion forum

20 signs you've watched too many British sitcoms growing up!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 50 posts in this discussion
Posted on 10 Jan 2012 21:07:08 GMT
Handybird says:
I know this has been mentioned in an earlier post but I had four sons and when they were teenagers and even now that they are young men I still find myself saying "You stupid boy!" in a condescending Captain Mainwaring way. They never really understood why it amused me so but thankfully they have now watched some 'Dad's Army' episodes and can appreciate it. All Hail Croft & Perry!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2012 13:36:06 GMT
sistermoon says:
My brother would always say 'you stupid woman!' in tribute to Rene in Allo Allo!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2012 22:48:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Feb 2012 22:58:13 GMT
May I say I grew up with the British sitcoms and loved them - I'm now sixty years young. 'HANCOCK's Half Hour', STEPTOE and Son, The Goons, 'Round The Horn' - all brilliant and I challenge anyone to find something in so called humour from any other country, especially the USA , that can match the poms for sheer cleverness.

That said, I love The Three Stooges and the Brothers Marx. I even have a tee shirt on which is written "I'm a Marxist - of the Groucho variety".

Back to pom com. The Carry Films - I have the complete set - are gems of timing and harmless innuendo and even though most of the cast are now unfortunately gone the films they left to us are timeless.

I wrote to Pinewood Studios some time ago to enquire from where I could obtain books on the films and Peter ROGERS, who had been the producer, graciously autographed and sent to me two titles which are now treasured entries in my book collections.

Posted on 27 Feb 2012 14:31:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Mar 2012 17:00:39 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
when ordering wine in a restaurant you ask do they have the '79 Beaujolais Nouveau

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2012 17:08:33 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
PomCom - luv it !
sad that radio comedy is the poor relation - The Goon Show was genius - inspirational for a generation of TV comic writers
i still have a large number of lines from the show that i use from time to time - Major Denis Bloodnok is a particular hero.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2012 20:54:17 GMT
"He's fallen in the water"

"I got an electric twit for Christmas"

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2012 15:01:00 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
[Explosions FX]
Aaaargh, no more curried eggs for me

You can't say that to me, I've got clean underwear on!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2012 21:22:17 GMT
Major Bloodnok I presume !!!!!!!!!

Posted on 4 Mar 2012 06:10:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2012 06:11:03 GMT
Bodie says:
"Of course the money is safe with Bloodnok - wherever he and his rowing boat are!"

I still love the one where Neddie has to go to the House of the August Goon, knock a million times and ask for Ah Pong. After a great deal of door-knocking, the door finally opens.
"Teahouse of the August Goon?"
"No, that's next door." Lovely!
Repeat poor old Neddy knocking a million times on another door...followed by:
"Teahouse of the August Goon?"
"Yes!"
"Are you Ah Pong?"
"Yes, we are 'ah pong' until nine o'clock!"

- -= = = = - -

As well as some of the signs posted earlier ("I'm free", "...but I think I got away with it", etc) my wife or I will say "Put your money away, Mrs. Doyle!" (Father Ted) if someone offers to pay for something.

If we've obviously left something behind or forgotten to bring something, we'll say "I distinctly remember telling you to bring the <item>, Wilson!" a la Captain Mainwaring.

The good Captain's "I was wondering who'd be the first to spot that" also gets an occasional airing when a mistake is spotted.

"You've all done very well!" (Young Mr. Grace, AYBS) gets used around my work, too.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2012 07:43:58 GMT
"It's always next door in China"

Posted on 4 Mar 2012 07:48:28 GMT
Neddy Seagoon { Secombe } to guard on duty, "I've come to relieve you".

Reply, "You're too late mate", the hidden meaning to those of us with somewhat crude minds - and missed by everyone else - was that he'd relieved himself. The humour of Milligan and co was wonderful.

Posted on 4 Mar 2012 08:40:37 GMT
easytiger says:
"Flippin' Yeti!"

Posted on 5 Mar 2012 15:31:57 GMT
WhizzKid says:
Phillip Madoc widely remembered for his part as a German U-Boat commander in the classic "Don't tell him, Pike" scene from the popular television sitcom Dad's Army, passed away today aged 77. (The "curse" of Dad's Army strikes again!!!)

Posted on 5 Mar 2012 16:12:39 GMT
I got a job 'On the Buses' and they called me 'Porridge' face so I peed on the drivers seat and he got 'Rising Damp.' Later on in life I trained as a jockey, but that amounted to 'Only Fools and Horses'. 'Candid Camera' wasn't too bad, but I never really clicked.I'm at the 'Book Club' now, I thought that might be a novel job. I'm not old enough for the 'Antiques Roadshow', anyway Fiona Bruce beat me to it.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2012 21:14:48 GMT
The 'Dad's Army' curse strikes in other places also.

I assume he's still alive but I have a memory file for faces and re-cognised the very old actor who played the chap who disliked bird watchers in 'Midsomer Murders - A Rare Bird' as the same, much younger actor who played SS Sergeant MULLER in 'Holocaust', which was made in 1978. Also in this episode was a character who badly wanted an award for the numbers of different species observed - I re-cognised him as the much older version of the actor who played the silly Constable GOODY in Rowan ATKINSON's Police comedy 'Thin Blue Line'.

We don't need ornithologists to tell us we will eventually 'fall off the twig'.
Your reply to Roger Edward Deshon's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 9 Mar 2012 19:43:32 GMT
easytiger says:
Wouldn't mind seing Fiona Bruce playing Herr Flick's side-kick in a remake.

Posted on 9 Mar 2012 20:06:33 GMT
easytiger says:
Nobody remember Wilfie Smith's father-in-law? Apart from the gangster('allo Trotsky), he stole the show for me. He went on to play baddies in everything.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 11:13:41 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Apr 2012 11:19:11 BDT]

Posted on 15 Jun 2012 15:29:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2012 15:30:26 BDT
Scarlet Lady says:
Shut that door Everard

Posted on 15 Jun 2012 17:29:15 BDT
Anne says:
"Good moaning ...."

and

"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once"

Frequently used in our house

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2012 13:24:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jun 2012 13:29:27 BDT
LEP says:
Yes and most of them were d..m good. Better than the rubbish on now.

"I don't believe it!"
"Ah, go-on, go-on, go-on".

Posted on 21 Aug 2013 16:08:25 BDT
Handybird says:
Not a 'sit-com' as such but I used to love the Young Ones and so often over the years as our Council Tax bill has landed on the door mat, over breakfast I've found myself saying, "We got a letter from the Council!" in a Vivyan sort of way.

Posted on 6 Sep 2013 22:09:37 BDT
Jenny bb says:
'They don't like it up em!'

Posted on 7 Sep 2013 06:52:25 BDT
Tikka says:
When asked to fill something, you say 'What? From here?'

You somehow know that nearly all the great sitcoms were BBC products (maybe something to do with format - an unbroken 26 minutes makes for better plot /character development than 2 x 12 mins)

Posted on 7 Sep 2013 14:19:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Sep 2013 15:01:05 BDT
gilbert says:
When you come home from the pub saying, "Ee, we've supped some stuff tonight."
When someone asks you for your ticket and you fumble drunkenly in you pocket saying, "Oh aye, ticket, ticket..."
When you can't see a photographer without thinking of Kenneth Williams saying to Sid James, "Snaps, Sidney? I don't take snaps. I paint with light." Not to mention Hancock saying in a mocking tone, "Oh, swipe me, he paints with light."
When you say, "You dirty old man" in a London accent at every opportunity.
When you can only address a mate called Harold in the pleading way used by old man Steptoe addressing his son.
When you call a mate from Liverpool a scaaarse git, or any member of the female sex a silly old moo.
When you say in a gormless way, "I only arsked."
You tell someone you can play the piano by saying in your Kenneth Williams voice, "I'm a dab hand at the cottage upright" even if, like me, you were too innocent to know why the audience were laughing when he said it.
I was told by an airline pilot that he and his colleagues got into the habit of greeting French air traffic controllers with, "Good moaning." However, one controller found out what this was about and replied, "Listen very carefully, I will say zis only once."
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the comedy discussion forum (173 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  comedy discussion forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  17 Oct 2011
Latest post:  7 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions