Customer Discussions > classics discussion forum

Psychomania - Great British classic!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 May 2009 07:34:41 BDT
Who else out there loves the 1972 B-movie 'Psychomania'? I love it dearly, despite editing so clumsy you could stand gravestones in the cuts!

Nicky Henson, Beryl Reed, George Sanders (followers of a tree-frog-worshiping cult, and Sanders is actually someone very nasty indeed) ham-acting their socks off, alongside a group of hilariously well-spoken bikers.

It's pure cult hilarity. Who else shares my love of this ridiculous pleasure?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2009 17:54:21 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
I agree! I remember the biker jackets with The Living Dead on!!!

Loads of stuff about "blowing peoples minds" as well.

Ain't seen it in about 15 years or more - wasn't Beryl Reid transformed into something??

Posted on 29 May 2009 20:57:15 BDT
Shadwell (Sanders) and Reed (the biker leader's long-suffering mum) performed a ritual to end her deceased son's gang's reign of terror (more stupidity really) by turning them to stone. Unfortunately for Mrs Latham, the trade-off is that she has to be transformed into a Maximus Leopardus; the bloody great tree-climbing frog.

It's RIBBETING!

Posted on 31 May 2009 23:35:23 BDT
Great film with a great soundtrack by "Frog".I own a rather fetching skull in crash helmet,"Psychomania" T-shirt from www.britishhorrorfilms.co.uk.

Didn't Sanders kill himself not long after making the film?

Posted on 1 Jun 2009 07:35:37 BDT
Yes, Sanders did kill himself. His suicide note was defiant and angry, surprisingly witty. You can find excerpts online. Maybe 'Psychomania' was one last contract-filler for him; he acted brilliantly as the sinister Shadwell. Utter class!

Posted on 1 Jun 2009 10:48:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jun 2009 11:07:35 BDT
Could have been called 'If: The Motorcycle Years'. Features heavy bikerspeak such as 'You bloody little fool!' or something like that.

Can anyone remember from the late 60's 'Haunted House Of Horror' where a group of trendy young things decide to stay in a spooky house but one of them is a knife-wielding killer? Absolutely atrocious! I think it featured Frankie Avalon and Richard O'Sullivan.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2009 11:48:02 BDT
The ever great Mr Avalon returned to horror in 1982 in "Blood Song" where he plays a killer who is psychically linked to a girl in a leg brace following a blood transfusion.

There are some great clips of dialogue between Reed and Henson on the "Psychomania" soundtrack.

Posted on 1 Jun 2009 20:03:17 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
Hey all,

Try Satans Slave by Norman J Warren (Inseminoid) if you like this!
And The Satanic Rites Of Dracula for more occult biker antics...

Posted on 3 Jun 2009 07:47:25 BDT
'The word is busted, Mother!'
'You mean the fuzz, Mother!'
'I'm dead, Mother!'

Wonderfull script and deliciously delivered by Nicky Henson, while waltzing with Beryl Reed and her marvellous bust!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2009 18:47:35 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
Nicky Henson was in Eastenders about 2 yrs ago - looking rather weathered...

Posted on 4 Jun 2009 07:25:31 BDT
Couldn't imagine him wearing leathers again. Barbara Winsor would've enjoyed it, though!

Posted on 4 Jun 2009 15:02:37 BDT
TJ Smith says:
Hey, nobody's mentioned the WORST MIDLANDS ACCENT EVER by Robert Hardy as the Inspector. BBC keep showing this film every summer. It's so bad it's good. But you can see why the British film industry quickly died at that time!

Posted on 8 Jun 2009 07:52:19 BDT
The sequence where all the bikers are displaying inventive methods of bumping themselves off. I know we're not supposed to laugh (or are we?) but I can't help it, especially the guy who almost doesn't throw himself out of the block of flats because a nice young lady starts chatting to him and admiring his bike. It's typically British corny drama. And the mortician's assistant who gets scared out of his wits when a decidedly undead Hatchet waves at him from one of the slabs; that kills me every time!

Posted on 8 Jun 2009 10:46:56 BDT
Great film and i managed to get it on region 1.I got a copy of the soundtrack on cd off ebay,but i think its discontinued now.Great classic film that deserves a reissue.

Posted on 9 Jun 2009 10:21:32 BDT
I love the scenes in the supermarket and the music - the music is great! it is on CD

Psychomania

Posted on 10 Jun 2009 08:06:09 BDT
'And the world never new his name, but the chosen few know of his fame, Come join his company, Riding Free!'

Ah, what a classic. Could do with a Rave Re-mix!

Posted on 2 May 2011 01:24:57 BDT
Great film, and good for spotting fans such as myself..Bill 'Mr Hodges' Pertwee, June 'Dot Cotton' Brown, John 'Sergeant Benton' Levene, and the bloke who goes mad in Zulu, who's in everything as an ill fated lorry driver. Anyone who doesn't like this film is a giant stone toad.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the classics discussion forum (141 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  classics discussion forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  29 May 2009
Latest post:  2 May 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions