Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > classical music discussion forum

Help with Education in Classical Music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 May 2014 06:19:37 BDT
Kindle_lover says:
Hello! I would really appreciate some help from people on this board. My daughter is very musical (piano Grade 6, Violin Grade 3 and just started flute), but unfortunately she comes from a totally non-musical family. I don't even own a machine to play music on! I would like to buy her something that would take her through the history of Western classical music (along the lines of Sister Wendy Beckett's history of Western Art).
Is there something like this available that I could get for her to compensate her for the woeful lack of music in her environment?
Many thanks in advance.

Posted on 8 May 2014 09:06:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 May 2014 09:11:03 BDT
Bruce says:
I liked Howard Goodall's TV programmes Howard Goodall's Big Bangs...there are probably others - will have a think about that!

This is the DVD : Howard Goodall's Big Bangs [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

Posted on 8 May 2014 10:35:31 BDT
Kindle_lover says:
Thank you so much! That's an excellent suggestion. I'm getting the DVDs now and will source the accompanying CD too.

Posted on 8 May 2014 12:08:49 BDT
Roasted Swan says:
I would agree with Bruce - the Big Bang programmes were very interesting but as the name suggests they dealt with specific major changes/evolutions in musical development. They are NOT nor were intended to be any kind of historical timeline. So perhaps for the beginner something else to compliment that approach too would be good - I've not read it but Goodall has written a more general music history book too The Story of Music - also you need to have an idea if you want to focus on "Western Classical Music" or something broader including other cultures too.

Posted on 8 May 2014 12:33:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 May 2014 12:33:34 BDT
Bruce says:
Nick is right of course - I was trying to think of TV series I have seen which were educational - but they are all in the dim and distant recesses of my memory.

The 2 names that spring to mind as great educators, who speak to you with genuine insight are Leonard Bernstein - I remember watching him on things like Omnibus and there was definitely a series where he stood in front of an orchestra and explained things. In a similar vein, I have seen Wynton Marsalis do the same kind of thing, slightly more recently - but he does like slipping in a bit of Jazz now and again to show how he can play trumpet as a classical or jazz player! ;-)

Posted on 8 May 2014 12:38:33 BDT
Bruce says:
Going back to Howard Goodall and a more general approach - there is the "Learning Zone" on the BBC website - where he has a section on music theory etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p017j77b

There are clips from his "Story of Music" there for free!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2014 21:10:28 BDT
Kindle_lover says:
Thanks, I've ordered that from the library for her now. Good reviews on Amazon. I do want to focus on Western Classical because that's what she's learning, bar the occasional contemporary piece. Ideally I'd like something that involved hearing the music, rather than reading, because that's what she's missing out on at home, but that book looks very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2014 01:28:21 BDT
John Ruggeri says:
Amazon Customer,

On the computer there are CM courses and sites with eons of Free Classical
music pieces. You can buy better speakers for the computer.

Regards-John
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the classical music discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  8 May 2014
Latest post:  9 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions