Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > classical music discussion forum

Upcoming releases

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 413 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2013 19:24:34 GMT
enthusiast says:
Rasmus - I wonder why you seek a modern orchestra in Mozart's symphonies. I'm not sure I would insist on a period orchestra in this music but have been very happy with Pinnock's recordings of the earlier symphonies (and, along with others, in the later ones too).

Posted on 3 Dec 2013 22:18:58 GMT
Malx says:
Rasmus:
Thanks for the comments regarding the Fischer Mozart set, I'm unsure if a complete set is really required but I will try and sample on Spotify when time permits. The other set I was giving consideration to was the Tate recordings with the ECO, from a different vintage but highly regarded by many.

Posted on 3 Dec 2013 22:40:39 GMT
Paul B says:
If anyone is interested in a set from number 25 onwards only, then the recent box with Otmar Suitner on Berlin Classics is wonderful and really worth a listen. I've got the Fischer on order too.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 11:36:50 GMT
enthusiast

I wonder too ;)
I already have 3 complete sets - Pinnock, Hogwood and the Prague MacKerras.
Well, I guess I'm just looking for diversity, so I ordered the Fischer set to get a good recording on modern instruments - because I didn't like the sound on the Mackerras/Prague and wanted the different instruments because change is good.
I should add that I am very happy with both Hogwood and Pinnock.
Considering that I have more than 30 Beethoven symphony cycles it doesn't seem too out of line with four Mozart symhony cycles.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 11:38:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Dec 2013 12:01:39 GMT
Malx

Sampling sounds like an excellent idea.
I can't comment on the Tate - don't have it.
I just received the Fischer set. Packaging is beautiful and a nice booklet. I just listened to number 40 and it was very good - now the Jupiter.

Posted on 4 Dec 2013 11:41:46 GMT
This is in my opinion the best Mozart symphonies outside a complete box:

Mozart: The Last Symphonies Herreweghe on Phi, period instruments.

Posted on 5 Dec 2013 12:05:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Dec 2013 12:34:23 GMT
FELDMAN, MORTON Patterns in a Chromatic Field. Marco Simonacci, Giancarlo Simonacci. Brilliant Classics 2cds

HAYDN Flute Trios Nos. 28-30. Patrick Cohen, Konrad Hunteler, Christophe Coin. Harmonia Mundi

JOY AND SORROW Unmasked, music by Bach and Handel. European Union Baroque Orchestra / Lars Ulrich Mortenson. ERP DVD

MENDELSSOHN Symphonies No. 5 & 1. Musikkollegium Winterthur / Thomas Zehetmair. MDG SACD

MOZART Orchestral Works. Colin Lawson, Basset Clarinet, The Hanover Band / Roy Goodman, Christopher Kite. Nimbus Alliance 2cds

MOZART Piano Concertos Nos. 21 & 27. Lars Vogt, Paavo Jarvi. C-AVI
[Where've you been, Lars?]

PAGANINI Violin Concertos Nos. 1 and 2. Kristof Barati, NDR Radiophilharmonie Hannover / Eiji Oue. Brilliant Classics

PENDERECKI The Complete Symphonies. Polish Sinfonia Iuventus Orchestra. Dux 5cds

*Ravel: Tzigane 1924, Pavane pour une Infante défunte 1899, orch. 1911, Le tombeau de Couperin 1914-17, orch. 1920
* Debussy: Petite suite 1889, orch. 1907, Danse sacrée* 1904, Danse profane* 1904, Sarabande 1894, Danse 1891 [both orch. 1923 by Maurice Ravel]
Thomas Zehetmair [violin, conductor]
Orchestre de Chambre de Paris
Emmanuel Ceysson [harp*]

RCO 125 The Radio Legacy. Anthology of the RCO, Volumes 1-7. Willem Mengelberg, Eduard van Beinum, Bernard Haitink, Riccardo Chailly, Mariss Jansons etc. Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. RCO Live 152cds

SCHUMANN Cello Concerto V4897 FRANCK / DEBUSSY / POULENC V5259. Naive 15th Anniversary Limited Editions. Anne Gastinel. Naive 2cds

R. STRAUSS Operas - Complete Recordings. Karl Bohm. Documents 10cds

TCHAIKOVSKY Symphony No. 4, Piano Concerto No. 1. Denis Matsuev, Saint Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra / Yuri Temirkanov. Bel Air Classiques DVD
5 and 6 also released.
Is this the same cycle?:
Tchaikovsky Cycle Box [DVD] [2008]

REMEMBER ME MY DEIR Jacobean songs of love and loss. Fires of Love. Delphian

TIME STANDS STILL Elizabethan & Jacobean. Songs & keyboard music. Works by Byrd, Dowland, Rosseter etc. Simon Ponsford, David Ponsford. Nimbus Alliance

WAND, GUNTER The Radio Recordings. WDR Symphony Orchestra, NDR Symphony Orchestra. Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra. Profil 20cds

There is a handful of Wilhelm KEMPFF re-releases from Australian Eloquence out now:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/index/?order=most_viewed&p=1&q=wilhelm+kempff&t=general

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013 13:21:25 GMT
D. M. Ohara says:
Dear Rasmus,
What would we do without you?
[Save more, perhaps!]

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013 13:28:48 GMT
Thanks, Dan ;)
I really try to be gentle to Mr. Wallet, but Mr. Gluttony is sometimes hard to argue with...

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 16:36:26 GMT
Haydn : String Quartets Op 71 Prazak

>>>In almost every respect it is in conflict with earlier versions in which these works are treated as rather light fare. By contrast, the Prazak gives them stature with a somewhat weightier sonority and slightly broader tempos that lend the music greater heft and impact. At the same time, it is colored by a tone that, in its moderate use of vibrato, is suggestive, of the 18th-century style without sounding uncomfortably nasal or harsh. With exposition repeats observed, the music gains a stature rarely attained a half century ago. This may not be the only way to play Haydn, but it is certainly a commanding one. <<<

http://www.fanfaremag.com/content/view/52869/10261/

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 16:58:47 GMT
The Strad
is a publication for those who are into music for strings (and who around here isn't?). For some reason I never thought about visiting their website before today - worth seeking out.

I came across this review of the Beethoven violin sonatas from Bridge:

>>>Seasoned Philadelphia-based duo Barbara Govatos and Marcantonio Barone chart the course of Beethoven's violin sonatas with firm musical values and remarkably accomplished playing, presenting them in chronological order and including all repeats. Their sensitive musicianship and excellent rapport, allied with technical assurance, polish and a flexibility of approach that sustains interest, place them high in the rankings, even if their accounts do not quite reach the head of a highly competitive field. Their performances are underpinned by a clean and well-focused recording.<<<

http://www.thestrad.com/reviews/beethoven-s-violin-sonatas-complete

Beethoven: The Violin Sonatas

Posted on 7 Dec 2013 10:11:57 GMT
What appears to be an interesting and unusual piano recording:

>>>These Mikhail Pletnev recordings stem from Deutsche Grammophon session breaks and warm-ups, where the pianist spontaneously tossed off whole pieces for his own pleasure, from memory, and with no editing. Pletnev has authorized some for publication, on condition that listeners take their casual origins and intentions into consideration. Listeners sympathetic to Pletnev's affetuoso temperament will embrace the performances with open arms. <<<

- See more at: http://www.classicstoday.com/review/pletnev-off-the-cuff/#sthash.cg87EiKc.dpuf

Repertoire:

Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 2 in A major Op. 2 No. 2 J.S. Bach: Partita No. 2 in D minor BWV 1004: Chaconne (arr. by Ferruccio Busoni) Frédéric Chopin: The Maiden's Wish (transcr. by Franz Liszt) Peter Tchaikovsky: Nocturne in C-sharp minor; The Seasons: Course en troika Franz Schubert: Impromptus D. 899 Nos. 2 & 3

Posted on 8 Dec 2013 11:43:32 GMT
Gramophone Editor's Choice announced:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/awards-and-highly-reviewed/gramophone-editors-choice-december-2013.html

and BBC:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/awards-and-highly-reviewed/bbc-music-magazine-choices-december-2013.html

Posted on 9 Dec 2013 10:01:00 GMT
Sony Japan has released a box with the complete Beethoven symphonies by P. Jarvi - this might indicate that a similar release is on the way to the rest of the world.
Beethoven: Complete Symphonies

Posted on 9 Dec 2013 13:07:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Dec 2013 13:08:06 GMT
Mozart:
Horn Concertos Nos. 1-4 (complete)
Fragment in E, K494a
Rondo for Horn & Orchestra in E flat major, K371
Mozart: Horn Concertos
Roger Montgomery (horn) & Margaret Faultless (director/violin)
Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment

Under the direction of Margaret Faultless the OAE shine on these new recordings of Mozart's Horn Concertos, featuring some astounding performances by Roger Montgomery on the natural horn. As well as lesser-known gems of Mozart's horn repertoire, at the centre of the collection comes the lyrical fourth Horn Concerto (K.495), featuring thrilling fanfares and brilliant dialogue between the solo instrument and orchestra.

Faultlees is a great name to have, isn't it?

------------------------------------------------------

Schubert: Die Schöne Müllerin
Florian Boesch and Malcolm Martineau continue their journey through the Schubert song cycles with 'Die Schöne Müllerin', composed in 1823 to words by Wilhelm Müller.
The recording of 'Winterreise' was warmly received by critics, The Guardian calling it "unquestionably superb"; Gramophone "inspired and quite unforgettable"; The Sunday Times "never, in my experience, has Winterreise sounded bleaker than in this magnificently sombre and vivid account...an exceptionally free, imaginative and dramatic interpretation".

Posted on 9 Dec 2013 13:17:19 GMT
A review of these two new books:

BACH
Music in the Castle of Heaven
By John Eliot Gardiner
Illustrated. 629 pp. Alfred A. Knopf. $55.

RICHARD WAGNER
A Life in Music
By Martin Geck

It's a mixed review of the Bach:

>>>The book jumps around in time too much to be an ideal introductory biography - for that, there's Christoph Wolff's authoritative "Johann Sebastian Bach: The Learned Musician" (2000) - and it isn't a comprehensive study of Bach's music. While the analyses of the vocal works are creative and sensitive, the instrumental masterpieces, from the "Brandenburg" Concertos to the "Goldberg Variations," are covered only in passing.
Still, working from the limited textual evidence, and using the music as credible support, the book does press a fresh, persuasive interpretation of Bach's personality. Far from the still-popular perception of him as a figure of cool, calm majesty, Gardiner advances a man and a body of work more seething, ornery and unruly, a "natural dissident" and restive employee with "a congenital problem with authority." <<<

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/books/review/bach-music-in-the-castle-of-heaven-and-richard-wagner-a-life-in-music.html?pagewanted=1&tntemail0=y&_r=0&emc=edit_tnt_20131206

Posted on 11 Dec 2013 13:37:39 GMT
Vienna 1789
A new theme disc from Sebastian Knauer with works from 1789 by Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven. From the Berlin label.
I have the Knauer Haydn concertos from Naxos and they are very good.

Vol. 1 Bach: English Suites Martin Stadtfeld on Sony.

Posted on 11 Dec 2013 14:16:30 GMT
Legendary Ives "Concord" Sonata-Finally On CD Review by: Jed Distler
- See more at:
http://www.classicstoday.com/review/a-legendary-ives-concord-sonata-finally-on-cd/#sthash.QGzphdkv.dpuf

>>Among musicians closely associated with Charles Ives and his music, John Kirkpatrick possessed an innate affinity for the composer's rough and tumble sound world that bordered on clairvoyance. A brilliant and adventurous pianist, Kirkpatrick (1905-1991) gave the complete public premiere of Ives' "Concord" Sonata in 1938, followed six years later by its first recording. Kirkpatrick remade the work in stereo for Columbia Masterworks in 1968, and its first CD release here sounds better than ever. <<<

Excellent Schmelzer From The Freiburger BarockConsort Review by: John Greene -
See more at:
http://www.classicstoday.com/review/excellent-schmelzer-from-the-freiburger-barockconsort/#sthash.Nvq0YNfc.dpuf

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2013 18:39:21 GMT
Edgar Self says:
John Kirkpatrick was indeed famous for the Ives sonata andmade one of the first records of it. The very earliest might have sported Henry David Thoreau on flute. Other notable ones are by Easley Blackwood and the two by Marc-Andre Hamelin.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 15:19:07 GMT
Nothing wrong with my set, bought in early 2000.

Posted on 31 Dec 2013 20:53:43 GMT
JayJayDee says:
Pssst.
A 'new' Pettersson Symphony from BIS is coming up in January.

Save up your tears.
It'll be worth it.

Posted on 5 Jan 2014 13:48:41 GMT
BARTOK & KODALY: The Complete String Quartets - Alexander String Q. - Foghorn Classics CD2009 (3 CDs), TT: 3:26:05 [Distr. by Allegro] *****:

>>>If ever an album had "Grammy nominee" written on its front cover, this is it. There have only been a handful of "complete" Bartok quartets recordings that one can call "legendary"-the 1963 Juilliard, 1998 Takacs, and the 1988 Emerson-but without doubt these new readings will ascend quickly to that exalted status. Astoundingly enough, I know of only one other recording of the two Kodaly quartets-by the Kodaly Quartet on Hungaraton from 1995-and the inclusion of these two wonderful works more than doubles the value of this set.<<<

http://audaud.com/2013/12/bartok-kodaly-the-complete-string-quartets-alexander-string-q-foghorn-classics-3-cds/

Complete String Quartets

A twenty disc BBC legends box has been released:

http://classicalcdreview.com/icajh.html

BBC Legends: Recordings from the Archive

Posted on 5 Jan 2014 13:49:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2014 14:03:19 GMT
BEETHOVEN Complete Violin Sonatas. Daishin Kashimoto, Konstantin Lifschitz. Warner Classics 4cds

Tintner's Bruckner cycle in a box from Naxos:
BRUCKNER The Complete Symphonies. Royal Scottish National Orchestra, National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland. New Zealand Symphony Orchestra / Georg Tintner. Naxos 12cds

BRUCKNER The Mature Symphonies, Symphony No. 6 in A Major. Staatskapelle Berlin / Daniel Barenboim. Accentus Music DVD

HAITINK, BERNARD The Symphony Edition. Decca Classics 36cds
Bernard Haitink Symphonies Edition

HANDEL 8 Great Suites for keyboard. Richard Egarr. Harmonia Mundi 2cds

JACOBEAN LUTE MUSIC Including works by: John Dowland, Thomas Robinson, Robert Johnson, Daniel Bacheler, Cuthbert Hely, Jacques Gaultier. Jakob Lindberg. BIS Records SACD

KANAWA, KIRI TE Opera Arias. London Symphony Orchestra / Myung-Whun Chung, Orchestre de l'Opera National de Lyon / Kent Nagano, Orchestra of the Royal Opera House / Jeffrey Tate, Philharmonia Orchestra / Julius Rudel. Warner Classics 4cds

MOZART Keyboard Music Vols 5 and 6. Kristian Bezuidenhout. Harmonia Mundi 2cds
I'm a patient man waiting for HM to box these up when the whole series has been released.

MOZART Violin Concertos and Sonata. Ray Chen. Sony Music

STRAUSS, RICHARD Metamorphosen DANIEL SCHNYDER Krisis / Psalm. NDR Radio Philharmonic Orchestra / Kristjan Jarvi. Marsyas

STRAUSS, RICHARD The Other Strauss. Boris Berezovsky, Renaud Capucon, Jerome Ducros, Eric Ericson, Michel Plasson, Vadim Repin, Wolfgang Sawallisch, Jeffrey Tate. Warner Classics 3cds

TELEMANN, GEORGE Complete Sonatas for Recorder and Basso Continuo. Michala Petri, Anthony Newman. OUR Recordings

VIVALDI Concerti per archi II. Concerto Italiano / Rinaldo Alessandrini. Naive

Posted on 5 Jan 2014 14:06:56 GMT
DG has launched a new re-release series:

>> 3 Classic Albums <<

So far with these performers:
Gil Shaham, M. Rostropovich, Horowitz, Abbado, M. Kozena:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/new-releases.html?dir=asc&label=45&order=name&releaseperiod=7712

Posted on 7 Jan 2014 11:27:59 GMT
JayJayDee says:
It'll be Pettersson's Ninth. 70 minutes without a break. So make the cuppa first. Or something stronger, I suggest.

There is already a fairly good version available on CPO by Alun Francis and the Deutsches SO. But the Christian Lindberg / Norrkoping performance is eagerly awaited.
It should have been released in December, but has been delayed until the first week of February.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the classical music discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  413
Initial post:  17 Jul 2013
Latest post:  4 Nov 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions