Customer Discussions > classical music discussion forum

Classical Music As Used On TV & In Film (A bit of fun!)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-110 of 110 posts in this discussion
Posted on 16 Nov 2011 13:28:17 GMT
Orff's Carmina Burana has been done to death, not just by adverts but by TV companies in trailers for their programmes. When they have temporarily mislaid their Orff tape TV companies (especially the BBC) use the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem. The Entrance of the Knights from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet is ALWAYS played by the BBC to accompany footage of self-important politicians, businesmen etc; it is written into the BBC Charter that it has to be used.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2011 15:25:26 GMT
Am I right in recalling that Barber's Adagio also got used for the deathbed scene in The Elephant Man? Think that might have been the first time it came to my attention.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2011 15:54:34 GMT
Piso Mojado says:
Arrowsmith, and Sinclair Lewis if he's about -- Out of solidarity with the post-40 contingent, some of the first classical music I remember in films was Bach's chaconne, in Brahms's literal arrangement for opiano left-hand, in a Peter Lorre-Vincent Price fantasy loosely based on W. W. Jacobs's "The Monkey's Paw", re-named "The Beast With Five Fingers". Ervin Nyiregyhazi played the soundtrack. Next was "The Picture of Dorian Gray", in which Hurd Hatfield was so good it ruint his career. After one debauch, he returned home and launched into the 24th of Chopin's preludes, the D-minor, now nick-named the "Dorian Gray" prelude.

Jose Iturbi in "A Song to Remember", and Artur Rubinstein in the film about Schumann, have been mentioned. And everyone but me has seen "Fantasia", whilst I was still watching Flash Gordon, with Ming the Merciless, Dr. Zarkov, and "Les Preludes" circling the Imperial City.

Posted on 16 Nov 2011 17:11:38 GMT
This all makes me think of Kubrick's 2001 again, the start of so many things for me. I was bowled over by both the Ligeti pieces when I first saw it around age 12. It was however only a relatively few years ago that I realised how breathtakingly luscious the Blue Danube is.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2011 22:19:48 GMT
Might have been "Old Mice" in the UK or whatever but in Oz it was "Nescafe". Since been used for "Carlton Draught".

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2011 22:22:34 GMT
The Rachmaninov 1st was also used in "The Lost Peace". The Elgar 'Cello Concerto popped up in "Lorenzo's Oil"

Posted on 25 Nov 2011 11:02:00 GMT
Mondoro says:
It's nice to see this particular thread up and running again.

Something that hasn't been said so far is the partiality of the Beeb to use Philip Glass as background music for fairly static shots, whether ironically, or whether merely to fill up the tape.

The Onedin Line - discussed elsehere - also introdcued watchers to a range of classical music, with VW and Shostakovich heavily featiured, though not acknowledged as such in the credits

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2011 12:45:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2011 12:45:23 GMT
Haven't looked through the whole thread, so I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but I seem to remember the Brahms D minor Concerto (of all things) having been used in "The L-Shaped Room".

Posted on 27 Nov 2011 21:02:05 GMT
JayJayDee says:
There was an Italian 'cult' film from the sixties that used the clangorous finale of Shostakovich Eleventh.
Does anybody know its name?

Posted on 27 Nov 2011 21:09:21 GMT
JayJayDee says:
Don't mention the Lone Ranger.

I did once but I think I got away with it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the classical music discussion forum (977 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  110
Initial post:  31 Mar 2009
Latest post:  27 Nov 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions