Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > classical music discussion forum

What are you listening to right now ?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 5801-5825 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 6 Aug 2012 11:23:37 BDT
Triggered by the above postings -

Brahms: Piano Quartet in G minor (Ax-Stern-Laredo-Ma) - I have the Sextets from the Raphael Ensemble but chose a Piano Quartet instead!
Vaughan Williams: On Wenlock Edge - John Mark Ainsley/Nash Ensemble

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 12:01:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Aug 2012 12:19:57 BDT
JayJayDee says:
>> John,
By all means put up a specific thread. I know Ryan (amongst many) would love it !

Thread duty -
Daniel Adni's Suite Bergamasque from 1972.
With perfect, original undoctored, sound.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 12:18:26 BDT
JayJayDee says:
Hi Malx,
re- finding time to make the perceived corrections,
point taken, but once I've spotted something capable of correction I have an urge to fix it, rather than move on to the next piece of music. I think it's due to a fear that I may neglect that performance in future if I don't do something about it right away!
Others have mentioned the recessed (compromise word) sound on the Tennstedt Mahler and I haven't played them much since investing in the set. Perhaps that audio deficiency has been the reason. Just like in the days of vinyl I would inexplicably fail to play certain well-loved pieces as often as I'd like because of wincing at some exceptionally poor pressings.

Frankly- if I hadn't taken the step of transferring my whole music collection to .wav files I wouldn't be in a position to tamper with the sound - other than whacking up/down the treble and bass on replay. I used to think the received sound waveform was somehow sacrosanct. Now upon investigation I see the engineers mess about considerably with the original sound image....so why not?
I now play my Szell Slavonics (more regularly) without the audio equivalent of sunglasses, and I can listen to my copied vinyls without most of the scratches and pops that were on the originals since the sixties and seventies...so I'm a happy bunny!

The Tennstedt Mahler 2 (Kingsway-1981) now yields a satisfactory denouement instead of disappointment. I hasten to add that I'm not fiddling about with the sound in the invasive and pernicious way that HDTT did to the Horenstein Mahler 3 (now withdrawn from circulation).

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 12:55:17 BDT
Dear John, You and I seem to post about opera and vocal work more often than our friends here (with the exception of Robert Brook perhaps). So a thread just for that would certainly get my frequent attendance.

Earlier, Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 1 (Winter Daydreams). 1970 Sony/Columbia. NYPO/Bernstein. Gorgeous and clearly showing signs of the greatness the great composer would achieve later in life (he was twenty-six when he composed the First).

Posted on 6 Aug 2012 14:39:22 BDT
I enjoy the first two symphonies as much as 4,5 and 6. They have a freshness about them which I find very attractive. I'm afraid I find the "Polish" Symphony a tad boring in places. The Tchaikovsky symphony to which I find myself listening with most enjoyment these days is actually the 7th completed by Bogatyryev, whose slow movement in particular I really like.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 14:48:44 BDT
John Ruggeri says:
I just started a new thread "All Thimgs Vocal". Some day I will be patient enough to edit properly.

MUSIC DUTY:

I saw the great Joan @ 10 times. What an incredible voice and singer. This is @ 1958/59.

Ah! tardai troppo.... O luce di quest' anima - Linda di Chamounix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOFlwIdHHc

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 20:51:46 BDT
Edgar Self says:
John Ruggeri, I'm responding to your post about composer Alberto Franchetti on your new "Vocal Things" thread, which I think is a good idea.

Posted on 6 Aug 2012 21:08:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Aug 2012 21:20:54 BDT
Robert Brook says:
John Ruggeri: I certainly look forward to partaking in your new thread. As Ryan correctly points out, Opera, Vocal and Choral music do form the majority of musical study, interest and listening. However, I do have a weakness for the orchestral music of Mahler, Bruckner and of course Beethoven.

Vocal music again for me today, continuing my Tennstedt Mahler exploration. This morning #8 which is hard to judge given that I listened to the Solti/CSO version last week. I will come back to it with fresh ears in due course.

Had best intentions of trying the 6th this evening but I was distracted by the cricket, which ended up being almost as dull as the sound quality in #2.

I am also waiting to watch the recent B-minor mass from the Proms but my wife is hogging the Virgin box with the Olympics! Has anyone else watched this?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 21:16:27 BDT
Bella says:
Yes we watched the B minor, with a lot of enjoyment though reservations about a couple of the solos. We also watched Handel on period instruments; two rows of natural trumpets and natural horns so anyone who is ultra sensitive to intonation would be advised to avoid, but we thought it was a great performance, full of life and of unusual colours. It was also fun to look at.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 08:40:18 BDT
Presently, Richard Strauss: Lieder. Montserrat Caballe with the Orchestre National de France and Leonard Bernstein. DG 1978. Gorgeous.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 08:48:15 BDT
Robert Brook says:
Bella: I too saw the Handel. I thought Herve Niquet was an interesting conductor who seemed to dance as much as direct his troops. Certainly idiosyncratic, but a treat to watch. (Luckily my wife likes Handel so I was 'allowed' to watch it.)

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 15:14:09 BDT
camstrings says:
Verdi and Puccini played by the Hagen Quartet. What a great sound they produce on this DG recording. Clarity and depth combined.
Must look out their Mozart and Schubert.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 15:25:47 BDT
JayJayDee says:
Revueltas -La noche de los Mayas
Dudamel at Lucerne-2007
Very impressive part of a fun concert that shook the bourgeoisie...
... just a little.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 16:12:16 BDT
man says:
William Mathias: Harp Concerto, Clarinet Concerto & Piano Concerto No 3, I won this Lyrita cd on an Ebay auction, it's the first time I've heard this guy and it's sounding pretty good, especially the Harp & Clarinet concertos.
Is anyone in to this composer?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 16:21:59 BDT
man says:
I must say that I've really enjoyed Arvo Parts music, I've not heard a lot of it mind.
This work by Tavener with the whale song incorporated, do you know if it was composed before 1971? the reason I'm asking is because Pink Floyd had whale song on their 1971 album Meddle...

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 16:47:00 BDT
Strauss: Don Quixote - Kempe/Tortelier/Dresden Staatskapelle

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 16:57:03 BDT
Lez Lee says:
micro man -
Tavener's whale music was 1966. There was also the excellent Alan Hovhaness 'And God Created Great Whales' from 1970. I'm sure there was another whale composition round that time but I can't bring it to mind at the moment.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 17:02:44 BDT
The other oddity about Tavener's Whale - it was released Apple rather one of the usual classical labels

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 18:20:14 BDT
Edgar Self says:
More Mozart by the Vienna (Wiener) Piano Trio, in a class with those of Maria Joao Pires and Lili Kraus. Then Mozart concertos 4 and 5 by David Oistrakh leading the Berlin Philharmonic himself. Both on EMI.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 18:45:02 BDT
Roasted Swan says:
Bernard Herrmann's very dramatic Moby Dick

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 18:51:37 BDT
Janet Baker singing Bach arias. Lovely.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 19:55:36 BDT
Roasted Swan says:
Micro Man: I like Mathias a lot - quite typically post-War British music so not really Nationalist or at all pastoral (the Welsh-derived music is normally occasional albeit great fun) - I enjoy the 3 symphonies Mathias:Sym No1-2 Mathias:Sym. 3 and the Lux Aeterna. Its a lot leaner and musically terser than Bax but really well orchestrated and powerful. Right up there with John Joubert and Kenneth Leighton as symphonic composers well worth getting to know. Don't forget Alun Hoddinott either.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 22:32:37 BDT
Malx says:
Beethoven/Liszt, Symphony No1 - Katsaris.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 23:54:43 BDT
man says:
Hi Nick, I listened to the whole cd (the Lyrita concertos one) and really enjoyed what I heard, I'm going to be looking in to more of his works for sure.
I not familiar with the other names you mentioned but will add them to my "must check out some time" list, which is very long and getting longer all the time, cheers....

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012 06:27:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2012 06:27:49 BDT
John Ruggeri says:
Horowitz plays Liszt-Horowitz: Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
Recorded at Carnegie Hall, New York on February 25, 1953
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHGnYQgLLzc&feature=fvst

I will make a bold, risky and maybe arrogant statement but here it is " If anyone had more total command of the piano than Vladimir Horowitz they ain't left recordings."

The Liszt piece ABOVE is bravura stuff soft , loud. fast and slow and timing.
--------------------
BELOW is the man with the strange speaking voice making the piano sing. The slight dynamic and rhythmic shifts are amazing

Horowitz plays SchumannTraumerei in Moscow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7ncjhSqtk
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the classical music discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  341
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  27 Sep 2008
Latest post:  21 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions