Customer Discussions > classical music discussion forum

What was the first really Sad music...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-32 of 32 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2014 19:33:39 GMT
enthusiast says:
Personally, Bruce, I don't find the Gorecki especially moving. As I said, I may lack a heart. I do find the Britten Owen settings very moving but it isn't just the music, is it?

And I haven't said that music doesn't make me feel things. Merely that sadness is not my response ... unless music is played badly, of course!

Posted on 8 May 2014 15:27:46 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 27 May 2014 18:42:38 BDT]

Posted on 4 Jun 2014 18:49:22 BDT
As a kid I went to the local classic cinema to watch a sad but beautiful film about a Swedish Count who ran off with a servant. When they ran out of money, they committed suicide, all to the strains of a beautiful piano air. The servant's name? Elvira Madigan.

Posted on 18 Oct 2014 16:39:06 BDT
Piso Mojado says:
Some interesting responses and reactions to the opening post.

Like Geoffrey, I thoughtof "Der Abschied" from Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde", and we've discussed "Kindertotenlieder" nowelsewhere.

One example drenched in personal grief, and powerfully affecting, is the piece Guillaume Lekeu wrote to the memory of his teacher Cesar Franck, called "Adagio for Strings" or in French "Adagio pour quatuor des cordes". Some think it influenced Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings". There are several recordings, among which Bartholomee's with the Liege Philharmonique stands out. Franck had been run down by a horse-drawn vehicle on a street in Paris and died of his injuries some time later. Strangely, I had never heard this story.

Another such workis Richard Strauss's "Metamorophosen", and as Strindberg remarks in "The Road to Damascus", there is sadness enough for all in Shostakovich's music.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2014 22:48:28 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Oct 2014 22:49:05 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2014 22:50:26 BDT
John Ruggeri says:
The finale of Verdi's "La Traviata" where Violetta feels a sense of recovery then collapses and dies.

Posted on 19 Oct 2014 00:45:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Oct 2014 22:16:08 BDT
Larkinfield says:
If there's such a thing as "cheerful" music - and I do believe there is, such as Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony - certainly there's such a thing as music that's able to convey moods at the other end of the emotional spectrum as well. But it doesn't mean that the listener necessarily wears his or her heart on his sleeve and goes up and down with it. I'm generally more neutral in taking in what I hear, but it doesn't mean that I'm disinterested in whatever mood or emotion the <composer> may be trying to express.

Can music convey a particular mood or emotion? Of course! Without naming them for now, there's plenty of modern music that certainly conveys the mood of <anxiety> if one doesn't brush it aside as meaningless, not as far as the specific associations of what might have set the composer off to write what he or she did, but certainly in the overall mood and direction of how the music feels. So it's more than just listener response; it's the combination of the composer's intentions and the listener's reactions. But in my own experience, I feel it's possible to hear sad music without feeling sad, and hear "happy" music without feeling happy. On the other hand, the hearing of "sad" music can sometimes inspire one to feel somewhat more inward and introspective without having to sympathize to the point of sadness. Music doesn't have to be experienced that way; but it also <can> be experienced that way if one chooses to go with its apparent direction of mood. So not only have I found an upward and downward direction to music, but also the direction within music that can take you inward and outward within yourself - making for the possibilities of it taking the listener into at least four directions, depending. 🎶
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  17 Feb 2014
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions