Customer Discussions > classical music discussion forum

Upcoming releases

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 258 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013 14:52:35 BDT
If I remember correctly, Warner bought the EMI catalogue fairly recently - it did here is a link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMI#Sony.2FUniversal_sale

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013 15:38:10 BDT
Malx says:
Geoffery, I was aware of the Warner acquisition but I am surprised if as it appears they may be doing away with the EMI brand. To my mind EMI has more kudos with many CM buyers than Warner Music.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2013 15:53:07 BDT
Malx: Presumably the marketing people at Warner think differently - possibly they want to rationalize the number of labels they put out in much the same way Universal did with Decca/Philips.

I have mixed feelings about EMI; they had been living off past glories for far too long. I was pleasantly surprised by the Klemperer/Romantic Symphonies box but much of the Beethoven/Bruckner/Mahler stuff must have been reissued at leat half-a-dozen times; some of it seems to have been remastered (again) but there must be diminishing returns at some point.

Posted on 28 Jul 2013 21:16:32 BDT
Malx says:
Geoffrey, the plot thickens, I had a look on the MDT website and the illustration they are using for the set has an EMI logo!

Posted on 29 Jul 2013 09:59:28 BDT
MacDoom says:
They may well try out a few things before deciding on how to continue marketing the EMI recordings. This apparent initial ploy does not have to mean that that's the future.

Posted on 31 Jul 2013 11:49:28 BDT
I'm not in the market for Horowitz myself, but I thought some of you might be interested:

Vladimir Horowitz Live At Carnegie Hall [Box Set]

Scroll down on product page for description.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2013 12:12:50 BDT
Malx: This upcoming release from Rattle and the BPO has the Warner logo - Rachmaninov: Symphonic Dances; The Bells

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2013 12:30:30 BDT
I think some years ago Universal Music were also indesicive about whether Philips CDs should be released as Decca CDs and now they are all labelled: Decca. Warner might go down the same path. Warner's brand might be stronger in the US than here in Europe.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2013 18:32:35 BDT
Malx says:
Thats a very good point Rasmus, I do believe the Warner brand will have more cachet in the USA, perhaps some of our US posters may have an opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2013 09:26:10 BDT
...which leads us to an overwhelming question:
Why do record companies have all these imprints/sub-labels?

Posted on 2 Aug 2013 09:27:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2013 09:30:57 BDT
A short list below of some of the new CDs being reviewed here:

http://audaud.com/classical-cd-reviews/

BEETHOVEN: Complete Works for Cello and Piano - Colin Carr, cello/ Thomas Sauer, piano - MSR Classics MS 1486, 138:52 [Distr. by Albany] ****

HANDEL: Chandos Anthems = No. 8, "O come, let us sing unto the Lord"; No. 6a, "As pants the hart"; No. 5a, "I will magnify thee, O God" - Susan Gritton, sop./ Iestyn Davies, alto/ Thomas Hobbs, tenor/ Choir of Trinity College/ Orch. of the Age of Enlightenment / Stephen Layton - Hyperion ****

LIGETI: String Quartets = String Quartet No. 1; String Quartet No. 2; BARBER: Adagio - Keller Quartet - ECM New Series B0018363-02, 50:52, *****

SCHUBERT: Symphonies 1 - 8 - Bavarian Radio Sym. Orch./ Lorin Maazel - BR-Klassik 900712 (3 discs), 78:33, 75:44, 78:41 [Distr. by Naxos] ****

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2013 09:53:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2013 09:54:53 BDT
D. M. Ohara says:
The variety of labels and imprints is usually due to takeovers and mergers, which have been going on since 1900! Berliner was taken over by Victor, which was taken over by RCA, which was taken over by Sony. Graphophone was taken over by Columbia, which split into the US and European Branches. British Berliner became G&T, which became HMV which took over British Columbia [which had already taken over the Lindstrom labels of Odeon and Parlophon] which became EMI and is now Warner. Columbia had long ago taken over Regal, as HMV had taken over Zonophone. And that is only part of the story!

Posted on 3 Aug 2013 06:29:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2013 07:24:20 BDT
Andras Schiff
has recorded Beethoven's Diabelli Variations for ECM:

Beethoven: Diabelli-Variationen

Must be his first recording of this work.
I think I will stick to my Paul Lewis.

Amazon.com's editorial review:

>>Following his monumental exploration of the 32 Sonatas, Andras Schiff has now recorded - on two period instruments remarkable, contrasting versions of the Diabelli Variations alongside major late works with intrinsic ties to them. The Sonata Op. 111 and the Diabelli Variations (CD 1) are played on an original Bechstein grand from 1921, and the second reading of the Diabelli Variations,(paired with the op. 126 Bagatelles on CD2) on a Hammerflugel fortepiano from Beethovens own day. This gives listeners a unique opportunity to compare the rich range of these highly contrasting sonic universes, a world apart from modern day instruments.<<

Posted on 3 Aug 2013 08:48:39 BDT
Britten: War Requiem
conducted by the composer himself,
Benjamin Britten; Galina Vishnevskaya, Peter Pears, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau; London Symphony Orchestra and Chorus

>>Over half a century has passed since this classic DECCA recording was made in Kingsway Hall, London in January 1963. While the performance remains a benchmark, time has left the original analogue master tapes more fragile than ever. For this Britten centenary edition, DECCA has gone back to the original tapes and used the latest techniques and extensive comparison with the earliest LP pressings and subsequent remasterings, to make a definitive transfer. For the first time ever, all audio processing has been achieved in the 96 kHz 24-bit domain. The new blu-ray disc format, in particular, affords an unprecedented opportunity to hear the recording at this resolution.<<

Posted on 3 Aug 2013 08:49:30 BDT
AUGUST new releases that caught my eye:

BRAHMS Ein deutsches Requiem. Anna Lucia Richter, Stephan Genz, Leipzig MDR Radio Symphony Chorus and Orchestra / Marin Alsop. Naxos

DVORAK Chamber Works 2 Piano Trios, Piano Duets, String Trios. Guarneri Trio Prague, Duo Ardasev, Josef Suk, Pavel Sporcl, Michal Kanka, Panocha Quartet. Supraphon 7cds

HANDEL Sacred Masterworks. Taverner Consort & Players / Andrew Parrott. Virgin 6cds

HAYDN Keyboard Sonatas. Vladimir Feltsman. Nimbus Alliance 2cds

HAYDN Lieder, Songs. Arleen Auger, Walter Olbertz. Brilliant Classics

HENZE, HANS WERNER The Complete Deutsche Grammophon Recordings. 16cds

HINDEMITH, PAUL Orchestral Music. Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra / Herbert Kegel. Brilliant Classics 5cds

KLEMPERER, OTTO Sacred Music. Bach: St. Matthew Passion, Mass in B minor, Handel: Messiah, Beethoven: Missa Solemnis EMI 8cds

MORK, TRULS Greatest Cello Concertos. Virgin 9cds

MOZART Cosi fan tutte. Miah Persson, Angela Brower, Adam Plachetka, Rolando Villazon, Mojca Erdmann, Alessandro Corbelli, Chamber Orchestra of Europe / Yannick Nezet-Seguin. DG 3cds

PALESTRINA Cantica Salomonis. Palestrina Ensemble Munich / Venanz Schubert. Naxos 2cds

RACHMANINOV Piano Trios. Vladimir Ashkenazy, Zsolt-Tihamer Visontay, Mats Lidstrom. Decca

SCARLATTI, DOMENICO Violin Sonatas. Paolo Perrone. Brilliant Classics
>>Amid Domenico Scarlatti's extensive output of over 550 keyboard sonatas lie a small number of works that, given such traits such as figured bass, multi-movement structure and even bowing-like articulation, were probably originally written for solo instrument (such as violin) and continuo.<<

SCHOENBERG Verklarte Nacht Op. 4. Arditti Quartet. Naive

SCHUBERT Complete String Quartets Vol. 2 D112 & D353, Overture D470 Diogenes Quartet. Brilliant Classics

SCHUBERT Symphony No. 6, Music from Rosamunde D797. Swedish Chamber Orchestra / Thomas Dausgaard. BIS

SCHUBERT Symphony No. 8 Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich / David Zinman. RCA

SIBELIUS Complete Symphonies, Orchestral Works. Halle Orchestra / John Barbirolli. EMI 5cds

SIBELIUS The Unknown Sibelius. Rarities and First Recordings. Lahti SO, Vonsko, Anne Sofie von Otter, Monica Groop, Dominante Choir etc. BIS
I assume that Vonsko is Vanska...

STENHAMMAR String Quartets Nos. 3 & 4 Stenhammar Quartet. BIS

One for John Ruggeri:
STRAUSS, R Don Quixote Op. 35 (1941 version) BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 5 WEBER Euryanthe Overture. Richard Strauss Conducts. Dutton

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Complete Symphonies, The Lark Ascending, Tallis Fantasia, On Wenlock Edge. London Philharmonic Orchestra / Bernard Haitink EMI 7cds

Posted on 3 Aug 2013 08:50:19 BDT
...and finally... a big one:

SONY MASTERWORKS HERITAGE COLLECTION

The Masterworks Heritage series, issued in the Mid 90's, received outstanding critical acclaim for the choice of repertoire and recordings, for the editorial /packaging and the splendid remastering of early mono and stereo tape masters. This excellent value, budget-priced, 28-CD-box set contains 20 of the best Masterworks Heritage releases. The CDs are in paper-sleeves with the original artwork of the former CD/LP. The booklet with tracklisting and the original liner notes in in English, all presented in special 2-part-box with slider. Featured artists: Claudio Arrau, Gregor Piatigorsky, Eugène Ysaÿe, Budapest String Quartet, Mstislav Rostropovich, Robert Casadesus, Leon Fleisher, Martina Arroyo, Leonard Bernstein, Eugene Ormandy, Leopold Stokowski, Bruno Walter, George Szell, Dimitri Mitropoulos, Thomas Schippers, Fritz Reiner, Philadelphia Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, Cleveland Orchestra, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
*1.CD "Michael Rabin & Ossy Renardy - The Early Years" - Werke von Paganini, Sarasate, Wieniawski, Kreisler, Engel, Novacek
*2.CD "Eugene Ysaye - Violinist & Conductor" - Werke von Brahms, Chabrier, Dvorak, Faure, Kreisler, Mendelssohn, Schubert, Schumann,
Wieniawski, Vieuxtemps, Wagner, Ysaye, Delibes, Maillart, Massenet
*3.CD Liszt: Klavierkonzert Nr. 1;Fantasie über ungarische Volksmelodien;
Ungarische Rhapsodien Nr. 8-11, 13 (Claudio Arrau)
*4.& 5.CD "Zino Francescatti - Great Violin Concertos" - Mendelssohn: Violinkonzert op. 64;Bruch: Violinkonzert Nr. 1;Saint-Saens: Violinkonzert Nr. 3;Tschaikowsky: Violinkonzert op. 35;Prokofieff: Violinkonzert Nr. 2;Chausson: Poeme op. 25
*6.CD Mahler: Symphonie Nr. 1;Rachmaninoff: Die Toteninsel (Dimitri Mitropoulos)
*7.& 8.CD "Fritz Reiner dirigiert das Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra" - Schostakowitsch: Symphonie Nr. 6;Kodaly: Tänze aus Galanta;Weiner: Divertimento für Streicher Nr. 1 op. 20;Bartok: Ungarische Skizze;Kabalewski: Colas Breugnon-Ouvertüre op. 24;Glinka: Kamarinskaja;Mozart: Symphonien Nr. 35 & 40;Beetoven: Symphonie Nr. 2
*9.& 10.CD "The Philadelphia Orchestra plays Bach" - Bach: Brandenburgisches Konzert Nr. 5;Bach / Stokowski: Choräle BWV 62, 177, 437;Bach / Ormandy: Toccaten & Fugen BWV 564 & 565;Passacaglia BWV 582;Wachet auf, ruft uns
die Stimme BWV 140;JC Bach: Symphonien op. 18 Nr. 1 & 3;WF Bach: Symphonie F. 65;CPE Bach / Steinberg: Konzert für Orchester D-Dur
*11.& 12.CD Schumann: Symphonien Nr. 1-4;Manfred-Ouvertüre (George Szell)
*13.CD "Leonard Bernstein dirigiert das New York Philharmonic Orchestra" - Roussel: Symphonie Nr. 3;Milhaud: Les Choephores;Honegger: Rugby;Pacific 231
*14.CD "Thomas Schippers dirigiert" - Barber: Adagio for Strings;Medea's Dance of Vengeance;School for Scandal-Ouvertüre;Essay for Orchestra Nr. 2;Intermezzo aus Vanessa;Andromache's Farewell;Menotti: Amelia al ballo-Ouvertüre;Berg: Zwischenspiel aus Wozzeck;d'Indy: Einleitung zu Fervaal
*15.-18.CD Beethoven: Streichquartette Nr. 1, 4,6, 9,12-16 (Budapest String Quartet)
*19. CD "Gregor Piatigorsky - Great Cello Concertos" - Dvorak: Cellokonzert op. 104;Saint-Saens: Cellokonzert op. 33;Bruch: Kol Nidrei
*20.CD "George Szell dirigiert" - Prokofieff: Symphonie Nr. 5;Bartok: Konzert für Orchester
*21.& 22.CD Dvorak: Symphonien Nr. 7-9;Karneval-Ouvertüre
*23.& 24.CD Brahms: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2;Händel-Variationen op. 24;Walzer op. 39 Nr. 1-16 (Leon Fleisher, George Szell)
*25.& 26.CD "Robert Casadesus - The Complete Piano Music of Maurice Ravel" - Pavane pour une infante defunte;A la maniere de Chabrier;A la maniere de Borodine;Sonatine;Miroirs;Ma mere l'oye;Habanera;Jeux d'eau;Prelude a-moll;Menuet sur le nom d'Haydn;Berceuse sur le nom de Gabriel Faure;Le Tombeau de Couperin;Valses nobles et sentimentales;Menuet antique;Gaspard de la nuit;Klavierkonzert für die linke Hand
*27.CD Schostakowitsch: Cellokonzert Nr. 1 op. 107 (Ersteinspielung);Violinkonzert Nr. 1 op. 99 (Mstislav Rostropovich, David Oistrach)
*28.CD Mahler: Symphonie Nr. 1;Brahms: Haydn-Variationen op. 56a (Bruno
Walter)

Sony 28cds

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2013 02:19:38 BDT
Yi-Peng says:
I am so dearly looking forward to Chailly's new Leipzig Gewandhaus cycle of Brahms symphonies. Decca is due to release it in October.

I'm also looking forward to Pollini's next Beethoven sonata offering. It will offer the op. 7, 14 and 22 sonatas. Not too long now before he completes it. I hope he includes the op. 49 works...

But my big question is: can Gardiner and the ORR do the Mendelssohn symphonies soon? I'm hoping for an offering of the Scottish and Italian symphonies plus the Hebrides overture...

Posted on 4 Aug 2013 10:39:39 BDT
Gardiner has recorded Mendelssohn 4 and 5 with the Vienna PO so it is possible he may do a complete set with the ORR at some point to join his Beethoven, Schumann and Brahms cycles.

Posted on 5 Aug 2013 09:47:23 BDT
malx: Some clarification re Warner Classics. A short item in the latest Chandos newsletter says Warner has resurrected its dormant Warner Classics label for issuing EMI material. Though Warner bought the EMI classical catalogue it did not buy the right to use the EMI names.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2013 20:06:18 BDT
Malx says:
Geoffrey, that makes perfect sense, there is usually a logical explaination for most things (usually). Thanks for the info, just back from a business trip to Inverness not yet had time to look at the newsletter.

Posted on 11 Aug 2013 21:16:20 BDT
SCHUBERT: Symphony No. 3 in D Major, D. 200; Symphony No. 4 in C Minor, D. 417 "Tragic" - Freiburger Baroque Orch./ Pablo Heras-Casado - Harmonia mundi HMC 902154, 54:33 *****:

>>>Occasionally, a young enthusiast will shake the dust from a "masterpiece" and renegotiate its merits in a refreshed, infectious manner. So, the relatively youthful Freiburger Barockorchester, celebrating its twenty-fifth season, injects some decisively fervent energy into the early symphonies of the Viennese master Schubert whose Third (1815) and Fourth (1816) Symphonies receive tempestuously animated performances under conductor Pablo Heras-Casado (rec. July 2012) in his premier inscription for Harmonia mundi.<<<

Quoted from:

http://audaud.com/2013/08/schubert-symphonies-3-4-freiburger-barockorchester-pablo-heras-casado-harmonia-mundi/

Posted on 16 Aug 2013 07:44:46 BDT
enthusiast says:
I see that a McCreesh version of Britten's War Requiem is due for release in early September. I find his recordings to often be a little special and I fear I will end up having to buy this new one. I have a few War Requiems already. Of course, the work has come in for a lot of criticism of late (even by those who profess to like Britten's music) as too obviously derived from Verdi's Requiem and only occasionally interesting. Are any others here potentially interested in this release?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 09:24:38 BDT
Bruce says:
I love the work, but only recently bought Britten: War Requiem (Erin Wall/ Mark Padmore/ Hanno Muller-Brachmann) (Arthaus: 108070) [Blu-ray] [2012][Region Free]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 12:55:30 BDT
I have McCreesh's not very recent Berlioz Requiem on my wish list but it is not an immediate priority. I would probably buy the newly remastered Britten version if I was going to buy this work.

Meanwhile Gardiner's recording of Berlioz/Romeo et Juliette has at last been reissued at a sensible price and I snapped it up straight away - DOUBLE DECCA - Berlioz: Romeo et Juliette

Posted on 23 Aug 2013 12:27:20 BDT
Missa Solemnis by Harnoncourt and the RCO on DVD.

Review by: Robert Levine - See more at:
http://www.classicstoday.com/review/visceral-vivid-visual-missa-solemnis/#sthash.Zpc94ESA.dpuf

I already have his Warner Missa and don't like it.
The only Missa I have really liked is Gardiner's.
I'm curious about the new one from Herreweghe on Phi, because the Mozart Symphonies are so damn good in that series...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the classical music discussion forum (974 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To Right Now II 5096 4 hours ago
Maws Odyssey 8 5 hours ago
Vivaldi 31 1 day ago
What Do You Have On Order? 1492 4 days ago
Thoughts at Random 490 5 days ago
Spotify, Pandora and streaming music kills jazz and classical 13 5 days ago
Help on Karajan box set? 6 9 days ago
A drink of cool May water 15 10 days ago
The death of the forum 168 11 days ago
Is there a DVD of Elgar's "The Kingdom" out there... 12 11 days ago
Upcoming releases 257 16 days ago
Heads Up 891 17 days ago

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  258
Initial post:  17 Jul 2013
Latest post:  16 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions