Customer Discussions > classical music discussion forum

Performers of surprising repertoire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jul 2012 14:45:07 BDT
Roasted Swan says:
The premise here is simple. Record companies LOVE to compartmentalise performers and conductors. So the BBC Phil has a new Spanish conductor .... what's his 1st disc? .... Spanish music, Deneve leaves the RNSO ... what's his discography with them been ... French music. This has happened since time immemorial - how "surprising" to realise Boult could do anything except English music.

So the question here is; what conductors/performers have you enjoyed in piece outside of what the record companies would have you think is their core repertoire. Two to start off with;

1) The great Jascha Horenstein accompanying Earl Wild in the fire and brimstone Rachmaninov Piano Concertos with the RPO
2) More Rachmaninov with the RPO - an absolutely stunning 2nd Symphony conducted by Vernon Handley
oh - a 3rd while I'm about it various Rohzdestvensky recordings of English choral music - marvellous
Your reply to Roasted Swan's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 14:58:42 BDT
MacDoom says:
Sometimes, though, it makes great sense. Alicia DeLarrocha was absoutely unbeatable in Spanish repertoire, whereas her Mozart and Schumann were, at least to my ears, completely soulless. Critics disagreed, but I was never convinced.

On theoriginal topic: Haitink's Ravel and Debussy was unexpectedly magnificent for one most associated with Bruckner and Mahler.

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 15:01:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jul 2012 15:05:06 BDT
Boult made a stunning recording of Rachmaninov 2 with LPO for RCA. I heard Rohzdestvensky conduct Elgar's The Apostles live at the RFH, forget who the orchestra was, possibly the LPO. Something else improbable, Stokowski conducting a piece by Klemperer entitled 'Merry Waltz'. The last is a bit unfair, in his early days Klemperer had a very wide repertoire and not all of it the heavy Austro-German boys.

I found it surprising that Boulez, noted for his 20th century repertoire never conducted Janacek. Now a fine DVD of 'From the House of the Dead' is available, a work that could have been written for him.

Just remembered another unlikely concert, Handley conducting Berg's Lulu Suite with the Bournemouth SO.

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 15:18:04 BDT
Surpriced me to see Christopher Hoogwood record works from the modern repertoire like Stravinsky and Martinu. Haven't listened to it.

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 15:40:12 BDT
Rasmus: I have some of Hogwood's Martinu and it is fine; haven't heard any of his Stravinsky.

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 16:48:56 BDT
Two pianists "cast against type" from me. Martha Argerich recorded a stunning Bach recital around the turn of the 1970s/80s for DG, and I wouldn't have guessed Wilhelm Kempff was such an excellent Liszt performer before hearing his Decca recordings.

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 18:51:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jul 2012 17:35:56 BDT
Edgar Self says:
That Argerich Bach recital is one of Argerich's best records, especially the C-minor partita. Wasn't Boult also v. good in Brahms and Beethoven symphonies? I first heard him in a Mozart horn concerto with the BBCSO and Aubrey Brain, Dennis's father. Dennis's uncle Alfred was also a horn player, and I think also his grandfather.

Some others against type:

Sviatoslav Richter and Eschenbach in Gershwin's Concerto in F

Emil Gilels: "Navarra" by Albeniz (shockingly poor!)

Furtwaengler: Strauss's Pizzicato Polka and Emperor Waltz; Nicolai's Merry Wives of Windsor and Walton's Scapino overtures. In Berlin in WWI Nicolaii's opera was known as The Merry Wives of Saxe-Coburg by order of the Kaiser.

Klemperer: "A Merry Waltz" (by himself)

Bruckner: A piece for tenor, male choir, two yodelers and four Waldhorns (by himself)

Wanda Landowska: a Chopin mazurka and two Polonaises by the Princes Oginski, thunderously played on her monster Pleyel harpsichord. She also recorded Lanner qaltzes on a piano-roll.

Sergei Prokofiev - Sheherazade excerpt and Rachmaninoff's G-minor Prelude, on piano-rolls

Alexander Kipnis - "Little Jack Horner"

Hugues Cuenod - a spiritual

Marc-Andre Hamelin - Jakob Gimpel's paraphrase on the Marine Corps Hymn ("From the Halls of Montezuma") after an Offenbach

Alkan: Duo-Bombard for four feet (on a pedalier or Erard pedal piano)

Karajan: German regimental marches with BPO winds and brass/ He even lets someone else conduct others.

Nikolai Golovanov: Mozart Requiem with Moscow forces. It sounds like something out of "Boris Godunov"

Schoenberg: Chamber arrangements of Johann Strauss and Viennese light music. I think it's on the "Baby Needs Schoenberg" CD, or perhaps "Waltzing and Dancing with Schoenberg". There WAS a 45-rpm called "Waltzing and Dancing with Beethoven" by Karl Haas and the London Baroque Ensemble. What a mental picture!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012 20:52:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jul 2012 00:57:27 BDT
John Ruggeri says:
Piso Mojado says:
Alexander Kipnis - "Little Jack Horner"
===============
Caro

Quite so !!!!!
Alexander Kipnis - Little Jack Horner 1940
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4aOq0jVeQc
===============
Here the immense cavernous glorious Spanish Basso Jose Mardones sings a German Drinking Song
José Mardones - Im tiefen Keller - German Drinking Song - " O to have been in that Tavern"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjAP0SPUHcw
=====================
This just might be the " The Three Most Disparate Little Maids " ever to sing in this Mikado piece.
'Three Little Maids From School Are We' Joan Sutherland- Ella Fitzgerald -Dinah Shore (1963)
I remember watching this show LIVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJeeQ38v7k
========================
Amother gem from the same TV show.
Joan Sutherland, Ella Fitzgerald and Dinah Shore: Lover Come Back to Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPmRsdP6rl4

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 22:13:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jul 2012 22:15:35 BDT
JayJayDee says:
* Boult's DSCH 6 on Everest.
Rather good.

* John Eliot Gardiner's Grainger collection (with the Monteverdi Singers possibly donning smocks and brandishing pitchforks).

* Marilyn Horne (with Lenny) doing the politically incorrect 'I bought me a cat'

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2012 00:06:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jul 2012 22:56:36 BDT
John Ruggeri says:
JayJayDee

Speaking of cats, these opera Icons loosen up and Meow with the best.
Not a bad cat keeper {PIANIST] either.

'Duetto buffo di due gatti', a compilation drawing on Rossini's opera Otello. Compiled by "G. Berthold", probably the pseudonym for the English composer Robert Lucas de Pearsal.

Cats: Victoria de los Angeles & Elizabeth Schwarzkopf in 1967 in a tribute to Gerald Moore (piano).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8B1Jg2x1rY

Posted on 9 Jul 2012 07:42:43 BDT
I performed that in a school concert once, as one of the cats.

Posted on 9 Jul 2012 17:37:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jul 2012 17:37:43 BDT
Edgar Self says:
You haven't changed one whit, Harry! But, was it like, you know, I mean, umm ... against type?

Posted on 9 Jul 2012 20:35:50 BDT
It was at the time. Around seven years were to pass before I began to grow whiskers. Which are now predominantly grey.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the classical music discussion forum (1019 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  8 Jul 2012
Latest post:  9 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions