Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Looking for the titles of 2 children's books I read in the 1960s

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Nov 2009 21:03:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2009 21:03:57 GMT
Ant G says:
Hi, wondering whether anyone can help with the names of these 2 books.

1) Was about a magic flying city which, when its king uttered the magic word, flew to its other destination. There were two princes in it called Alaric & Conrad. Alaric had a page boy whose mother had been turned into a hound called Wanda. Disaster nearly ensued when the king's enemies sent a fake army (turned out to be fireflies) to the city's current destination, while actually lying in wait in destination 2. But all ended well.

2) Four children were sent into a country village, where, early in their stay, they went out one night over a nearby hill, entered a mansion, and spent hours playing with its only occupants - 2 children in Victorian costume. They left, &, later, by day, went that way again to find only a ruin. Near the end of their stay they go by night again - you'd think their mothers would have told them about this habit - and find the mansion again & go & play inside. Hours later, 2 of them leave, & hot foot it back over the hill just in time to see it disappear with the other two stuck inside it in the nineteenth century for ever. How this was subsequently explained to the parents was not described.

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Posted on 28 Nov 2009 23:06:16 GMT
John Jackson says:
Personally have no idea, but have you tried The School Library Association site to see if they can help. Key words of the city etc. might just help

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2009 13:12:23 GMT
Ant G says:
Thank you for the suggestion! I have had a look at the site you suggest. I was not been able to find these discussions, but that may just be because their disscussion forum page is for members only. So I have left a contact email asking if there is any way I can post my query there.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2009 15:24:01 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Nov 2009 15:24:47 GMT]

Posted on 30 Nov 2009 15:25:49 GMT
Not a big help but Alaric, Conrad and Wanda are all german names so perhaps the author is german.

Posted on 9 Dec 2009 16:02:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Dec 2009 16:03:26 GMT
Ant G says:
Yes, I presume I read something translated from German. But I remember it was from a library, so you'd think someone else had read it - but this discussion is not doing too well, is it? And I cannot remember where I picked up the other story at all.

Thank you anyway!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2009 16:49:55 GMT
Michaela says:
There is a fantastic organisation called Outside In, whose aim is to promote children's literature in translation. I wonder if they might be able to help? Google Outside In World and you should get their website. They also have a really interesting selection of books listed. Good luck! Michaela

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2010 23:23:22 GMT
1st book is 'Over the Hills to Fabylon' by Nicholas Stuart-Gray. I don't know the other one.

Posted on 27 Jan 2010 12:07:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2010 12:10:26 GMT
Yes, that first book is by Nicholas Stewart Grey. He wrote some truly fabulous books, such as "Grimbold's Other World", "The Stone Cage" and others. No one ever talks about him these days, perhaps because there is an underlying sadness in much of his work, and people don't like this in children's literature!

Beautiful writing and characterisation, though.

Posted on 30 Jan 2010 17:59:02 GMT
hurrah, so glad someone knows one of the books...i saw this thread when it started...always interesting when someone is trying to trace a long lost book...always hope one day i'll be the person that knows what the book is!!

Posted on 5 Feb 2010 04:25:23 GMT
M. A. Clark says:
I remember the second story - and being SERIOUSLY creeped out by it .... The version I know was in a short story collection of Christmas tales published (iI THINK) by Marks and Spencer.... I know, I know....! Actually, I had this book until 7 mo.s ago when it was destroyed in a flood, or I could have given you more accurate info. Sorry, but maybe the M+S link might help !

Posted on 6 Feb 2010 23:06:17 GMT
Book Fans says:
Really hope you find this 2nd books title - I want to read it after seeing your post! Have you tried twiggers or alibris? They both deal with out of print books and may be able to shed some light on the author or title. What a pity the post from the person who remembers the story lost the book in a flood.

Posted on 7 Feb 2010 17:20:30 GMT
V. Rendall says:
Try abebooks.com 'Booksleuth' section, designed for your query.
V Rendall

Posted on 13 Feb 2010 23:50:43 GMT
The Loganberry Book Website is an excellent source for searching for these long forgotten children's books. It is American but lots of books published in the UK are listed. Answered queries along with unanswered ones.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2014 15:29:00 GMT
Ant G says:
Hello, I have just found your post, four years after you wrote it! Thank you very much for the title; I find the book is still available. I now just have to wait for a copy costing less than £51.55 + p & p! However, this is now probably just a matter of waiting, before I can finally get a copy. Once again, thank you!
Anthony G.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2014 15:32:59 GMT
Ant G says:
Hello, I have just found your post, and the one above, four years after you both wrote them! Thank you very much for your help; I find the book is still available. I now just have to wait for a copy costing less than £51.55 + p & p! However, this is now probably just a matter of waiting, before I can finally get a copy. Once again, thank you!
Anthony G.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2014 07:31:21 BDT
You're welcome. I love his books, but they are hard to find.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  23 Nov 2009
Latest post:  5 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions