Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Books on kindle for 10 year old girl, exciting but not too many words!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Feb 2013 11:48:39 GMT
C. J. Busby says:
Hi - my daughter is 10, and is a slow reader, but she doesn't really like the sort of easy/jokey Mr Gum type books that would be most appropriate to her reading ability, and despises anything 'pink', like Rainbow Fairies - she loves Harry Potter, Lemony Snicket, Roman Mysteries, Kevin Crossley-Holland, Diana Wynne Jones - but can't read them for herself. I'm after short, exciting but 'grown-up' books with fewer words per chapter than those sort of books usually have, that she can get on her kindle (so she can increase the type-face). She read Heather Dyer's 'Girl with a Broken Wing' and loved it, so something at that sort of level. Not asking for much - but maybe some of you people out there can suggest possibilities?! Any gratefully received - but please no self-promoters, however good you think the book you've just uploaded is...
Cecilia

Posted on 27 Feb 2013 14:07:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Feb 2013 14:07:46 GMT
Roger Rabbit says:
Hi C.J.Busby,

Well my children have enjoyed the Percy Jackson series of books by Rick Riordan although the chapters can be quite long I'm afraid. They've also enjoyed the Skullduggery Pleasant series of books too by Derek Landy. Alternatively, upon a friends recommendation my children have also very much enjoyed Brian, His Granddad & the Cup of Ages by P.J.Taylor which is similar to Harry Potter although some of the chapters in this can be quite long too. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2013 15:36:25 GMT
Fiona Dexter says:
Would definitely recommend the Redwall series by Brian Jacques - full of adventure and daring deeds, not a shred of pink in sight! I still can't stand that sort of thing and I'm now in my early 30s, I started reading these at about age 8 but I was a very keen reader. Looking at the list of things your daughter likes I would say these are certainly worth a go. Will have a think and see if anything else springs to mind!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2013 18:31:01 GMT
postiepants says:
3yh: Khufu's Treasure Hi, try this. I bought this for my 10yr old son and he liked it

Posted on 27 Feb 2013 18:52:08 GMT
Postie pants - sounding more and more like the author. This is a major problem with kindle books and the reason I wiped our kindle app. You can't get an honest review or recommendation and so many really are not good enough to be in print. Of course there are exceptions and there are many books in print and kindle form, but most of time it doesn't cost anymore for a print copy.

Posted on 27 Feb 2013 19:58:02 GMT
C. J. Busby says:
Thanks all (except postiepants, since I specifically said no self-promotion) - but maybe I should clarify. The books I've said she loves are all ones she'd be unable to read to herself - so Percy Jackson (great books, though!) would also be too difficult. The tricky question is, can you think of or have you come across books that have the excitement of HP/Percy Jackson etc but much more readable/low word count. Difficult problem! But I'll look at the Redwall ones, which may be on the money.

Posted on 27 Feb 2013 19:59:59 GMT
C. J. Busby says:
Actually, checked the Redwall books - they do look a bit too hard for her, but thanks for the idea.

Posted on 28 Feb 2013 12:46:46 GMT
Paula says:
My 10 year old son loved (a reluctant reader) really enjoyed Proffessor Kompressor by Nils Anderson

Posted on 28 Feb 2013 13:39:54 GMT
I'm afraid we have really gone for the very boyish titles, but these series in general are quite good, and maybe you could short list some on Amazon and let her choose the one that most appeals:
White Wolves fiction - Illustrated, very short and very easy to read.
http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/education/fiction/books-for-8/
Barrington Stoke Books
http://www.barringtonstoke.co.uk/
These are designed for children with dyslexia, but my son enjoyed them because he prefers books intended for older children, and has only just turned 8.

It's easier to look them up by series on the publisher websites, but prices are usually better here on Amazon.

Finally - assuming you have a games console - guitar hero worked wonders for my son's reading level - any of the music games where the children sing the lyrics get them practicing reading in a whole new way.

And do keep reading to her as well, as long as she keeps enjoying books she'll have the motivation to keep trying. And reading together is aa wonderful way to spend family time as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2013 13:59:46 GMT
Marand says:
Postiepant's is Ruth Dunsmore and the book is by Simon Dunsmore - go figure! Forum posting guidelines specifically ban promotional posts but the rules seem to be routinely ignored. Over on the fiction forum you get one person spamming about their latest work even in threads where the last few posts have been pointing out the rules.

I agree with you about the recommendations - it somehow seems worse when it is children's books. I have seen self-published children's books promoted on the forums where the author has such poor grasp of English that I wouldn't want my children, or anyone else's for that matter, to go anywhere near them

Posted on 28 Feb 2013 15:10:57 GMT
Senna says:
Try Helen Orme, she writes a series of easier readers that are mainly aimed at girls/

Posted on 1 Mar 2013 10:33:32 GMT
Fiona Dexter says:
Barrington Stoke etc are great - but I suspect someone who enjoys being read HP and Daiana W-J might find them a little simple in terms of plot, an unfortunate side effect of them being specifically aimed at high-interest/low abilty readers (Hi-Lo as they are known in the library world!)

Having had a look round at work, here are a few more suggestions:

Ali Sparkes - the SWITCH series would be just right I think, but s unfortunately not available on Kindle yet, although her Shapeshifters series is, slightly more complex but her style is very accessible

Louis Sachar - Marvin Redpost series, also 'There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom' and 'Someday Angeline', a bit obviously american but great books which make you think as well as laugh

Tanya Landman - the Poppy Fields detective series, very popular at the moment, very readable and full of suspense and adventure

Michael Morpurgo - pretty much anything by hm really, he writes at various levels but they are all fantastic. Possibly start with 'The Butterfly Lion' or 'The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips'

Anthony Read - the Baker Street Boys series, based around the Baker St Irregulars of the Sherlock Holmes books.

Happy reading!

Posted on 1 Mar 2013 12:37:24 GMT
C. J. Busby says:
Thanks so much - will check out your recommendations Fiona, they look great, and thanks for your ideas Broxi and Senna, will also look at those...

Posted on 1 Mar 2013 14:43:40 GMT
Hi C.J.
My daughter is an avid reader and particularly enjoys 'grown up' stories too. One of her all time favourites is 'Love, Aubrey' by Suzanne LaFleur. I've just had a look at the chapter lengths. They are not too long and lots are broken up by short letters/notes and asterisks. I think it's a tear-jerker, mind you!

Another that she liked was 'Here Lies Bridget' by Paige Harrison. The chapters are about 7 - 12 pages long, but there are distinct line breaks within these. I haven't read it, but the tag line is 'Can death be a fresh start?'

I had no idea my daughter was so morbid!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 17:06:06 GMT
J. Hammett says:
You could try, How I became Santa Claus. Although it appears to be a seasonal story, because of the style in which it is written it suitable to read at any age and any time of the year. A fictional story that is part adventure and part fantasy, it delves into what previously were the unknown origins of Santa Claus and how he came to live with a community of elves. I would suggest you visit the write up on the amazon kindle page as the book is the first by this author and Steve enjoyed it vary much.

Posted on 27 Mar 2013 10:28:20 GMT
C. Casburn says:
The Creatures of Chichester
This book by Chirstopher Joyce is in twelve short chapters so not too daunting and great if she likes animals of all sorts. Remind her to click on any words she does not know as the Kindle will explain them - still amazes me :-)

Posted on 27 Mar 2013 18:27:23 GMT
This could be "self promotion", but it could help too. I do a series of books based on the nearly true experiences of my little dog, Rusty Nails, as he accompanies me thru the aussie gold fields, written in the first person with several photos breaking up the text. just search my name in kindle books. pete rumball

Posted on 27 Mar 2013 22:38:06 GMT
The Invisible Detective Series, The Edge Chronicles, Atemis Fowl series. Spiderwick Series, Have you been to your local library?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 03:34:01 GMT
donegalgirl says:
"This could be "self promotion", but it could help too."

Of course it is self-promotion - and it is specifically banned by Amazon except on the author forum.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 03:40:50 GMT
donegalgirl says:
Your ID shows you as 'C Casburn writing as Christopher Joyce'. You just neglected to reveal that - and you seriously think I would buy the book of a devious cheat? It is truly disgusting that you should deliberately write your promo in the third person to pretend to be offering a recommendation. That you are too stupid to realise that your duplicity can be identified by one click doesn't say much about your intelligence and for obvious reasons I wouldn't touch your book with bargepole.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 12:26:56 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 28 Mar 2013 12:27:14 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 12:30:28 GMT
C. J. Busby says:
Hi Lapsedpacifist, yes we do go to the library, and I mentioned Spiderwick in my first post, I think - the trouble with Artemis Fowl/Edge Chronicles etc is that they're way above her reading ability, though close to her reading interest. What we really need are recommendations, preferably on kindle so we can enhance the type, that are short and easy to read but have enough interest fro a fairly sophisticated reader in terms of plot and character. Not an easy task to recommend for - but any ideas gratefully received!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 21:27:47 GMT
sian evans says:
my 10-year old girl doesn't like anything "pink". She enjoys "diary of a wimpy kid", david walliams' books, chris riddell's Ottoline books. she also enjoys the "piratology" type books that can be dipped in & out of. she's currently reading some second-hand children's horror books that are quite short but pretty scary - Funfax horror books available through amazon/ebay.
if i think of anything a bit more HP i'll let you know

Posted on 28 Mar 2013 21:48:17 GMT
sian evans says:
have you tried anthony horowitz's diamond brothers books? hilarious and action-packed
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  27 Feb 2013
Latest post:  28 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions