Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Books for a 10 year old girl

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 87 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 May 2011 16:21:34 BDT
Please can anyone recommend some good books suitable for a 10-year old girl? My stepdaughter likes Roald Dahl, Dr Seuss and The Gruffalo especially. She has dyslexia but does love to read empowering books with female heroines in them, I'm looking for a series of books I can read with her when I see her.

Posted on 10 May 2011 17:56:05 BDT
sandboxman says:
Try my Fame School series. Most libraries will have them or can get them for you to try. They have empowering female heroines in them with exciting plots based around friends, school and music.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2011 10:20:51 BDT
Rosalind says:
Grim Gruesome viking villain books - compared to Roald Dahl, strong girl characters in all of them, easy to read.

Posted on 11 May 2011 11:19:09 BDT
Juju says:
Troubletwisters is a brilliant new series by Garth Nix and Sean Williams that would be perfect. It's got a strong female lead and pleant of action. It's not out until June, but the publishers are offer sample chapters here: http://www.troubletwisters.co.uk/ so you can try before you buy!

Posted on 11 May 2011 14:59:47 BDT
Kevin George says:
The North Pole Challenge - Flea's First Christmas (Flea's Five Christmases)

**WINNER OF THE BEST UNPUBLISHED NOVEL IN THE 2010 NEW YORK BOOK FESTIVAL**

Flea has always been different from other students in school. He's not smart or athletic, he's shorter than kids five years younger than him and his facial features are so pointy that everyone avoids him. His foster mother constantly warns him to avoid attention, though Flea has no idea who's after them. But Flea has recently discovered several abilities that change his life forever: snowy weather follows him wherever he goes, he stops snowballs in mid-flight and he builds anything in shop class in the matter of minutes despite his lack of training. An appearance on The Great Build-Off - a popular construction game show - leads him to a magical place he thought existed only in Christmas stories.

At the North Pole, Flea feels even more like an outsider. In fact, this storybook village reminds him of every school he'd ever attended, complete with overachievers and underachievers, popular elves and outcasts, even elves who aren't afraid to march to their own beat. But during his training to become a proper builder elf, he discovers that the North Pole has an arch-nemesis bent on invading the elfish lands and ending Christmas forever. With a war looming against the South Pole, Flea's sudden appearance at the North Pole is no coincidence, as he questions his role in the fate of the world's greatest holiday.

"The North Pole Challenge" is not your typical Christmas story. Everyone knows about Santa Claus, his elves and the North Pole but this book provides a fresh outlook on the old familiar tales. Imagine Santa Claus as a reclusive loner, Rudolph as a narcissistic whiner, the elves as cruel party animals. And no great story would be complete without an enemy of epic proportions, another familiar Christmas name with a wicked past never before told...

Until now...

Check out The Rudolph Challenge, Flea's Second Christmas out soon...

Posted on 11 May 2011 22:45:17 BDT
J. M. Barlog says:
Minno

Follow the adventure of a lifetime for two 13 year-old girls.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2011 09:51:46 BDT
Heliotrope says:
This series has a very strong female character:
Saxby Smart: Private Detective - The Curse of the Ancient Mask and Other Case Files
Or this by the same author also has a couple of strong female characters in it:
They Melted His Brain!

Posted on 12 May 2011 09:57:30 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Jan 2013 06:59:54 GMT]

Posted on 13 May 2011 20:41:04 BDT
Suzy Turner says:
My book, Raven, might appeal to her. It's Young Adult literature aimed at anyone from around age 9+. Its about a young girl whose parents mysteriously disappear from their London flat and she has to move to Canada to a family she didn't even know existed. There she learns all sorts of weird things about herself and her family. There's a book trailer on my author page if you want to get more of an idea of the kind of book it is....I'd love you to check it out!
Raven (The Raven Saga Book 1)

Posted on 14 May 2011 11:10:15 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 May 2012 13:26:41 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2011 11:34:13 BDT
Sharon-E says:
Though the text is a little tougher Leah - The Fairy of the Lime Tree: A Traditional Children's Story from Trinidad is a wonderful story with a strong message about the importance of school.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2011 15:47:14 BDT
M A Pascua says:
I loved the Anne of Green Gables series. Wonderful, wholesome female heroine, and as she gets older she can continue the series and watch Anne grow up.
Anne of Green Gables

Also, the Chronicles of Narnia, is great.
The Chronicles of Narnia (2) - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

And also, I've written a mystery series for children 8+. It's not only about solving a mystery but about friendships and food and New England.
The Rocky-Fellahs Mysteries Case #1: Their First Client

Posted on 14 May 2011 16:05:43 BDT
Lynne says:
Take a look at 'Gertie Gets it Right (eventually)'. Your stepdaughter is the perfect age for this humorous fantasy available in paperback, or only 68p on Kindle!
Gertie Gets it Right (eventually)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2011 14:59:27 BDT
J. Maister says:
Waking Beauty

Posted on 15 May 2011 17:57:30 BDT
Teacher says:
The Tiffany Aching series of books, by Terry Pratchett, starting with "The Wee Free Men", but does depend on personal taste! These are "marmite" books, you're going to love 'em or hate them!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2011 03:22:10 BDT
LandisMom says:
Try The Secret At Chichen Itza. Your step daughter will not only be empowered she will learn a lot of stuff about Mayans and the Mayan way of life in the tropical jungles of Mexico!
There is a lot of hypothetical thinking, too, as the girls solve the mystery!
Written by an avid Nancy Drew fan...

Posted on 16 May 2011 14:15:15 BDT
Colin says:
First for Fairies and the sequel Wolf Notes by Lari Don are superb. The heroine is about 10 or 11 and has great adventures. The first book has a great chase scene in underground Edinburgh with quests and battles all the way through. The second has a few great riddles and is really useful for getting old myths and legends in to young heads. The third is due out in the summer and my 11 year old and 8 year old can't wait. Through these we found another Lari Don book by a different publisher. It is called the Mountain's Blood and is aimed at dyslexic girls - great heoine story.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2011 21:08:29 BDT
S. Mason says:
Try the publishers Barrington Stokes. They produce books for Dyslexic children that have a reading age below the actual age of the reader. So the children have books they can read, boosting confidence, but with a subject matter suitable for their age. A number of well known authors write for them like Andy Stanton and Terry Deary.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2011 08:14:45 BDT
Try 'Dunderheid McCan't, Kindle edition, by Clare Parker. The hero, Jake McCann, is a twelve year old boy, but one of the book's important characters is Meg, a shy girl whom Jake helps to feel confident. There is a host of great characters who will make the reader laugh, cringe, love and hate and the novel rushes along at a cracking pace. A really good read.

Posted on 17 May 2011 17:16:39 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 26 May 2011 08:33:07 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2011 14:40:11 BDT
Maths Mummy says:
Hi I have a dyslexic girl of the same age. Have tried the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordon? The central charecters are all dyslexic and it is portrayed as a positive thing. It seems the authors son is dyslexic and he spoteed a gap in the market. She will need you to read most of it to her but there are several very strong female charecters, dont be put off by the film - it's not nearly as good as the books.

Posted on 18 May 2011 17:56:27 BDT
Aaron Murphy says:
Tiffany Aching quartet by Terry Pratchett
anything by Jaqueline Wilson
Redwall by Brian Jaques ( most of the books have female characters)
Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Posted on 19 May 2011 20:03:14 BDT
She might like my books for ages 9-12 years:

Goalden Girl which is available on Kindle for £0.92 or in hard copy from £0.80 if you don't want to pay the Amazon price. It's about Gemma's quest to start a football team but she also becomes entangled in a non-football mystery.

Abbie's Rival is only available in hard copy at the moment and is about Abbie and her pen friend Colette who both fall for the same boy.

In fact if it's a hard copy you want I would always advise you shop around, Book Depository can be cheaper than Amazon for example and offer free UK delivery.

Cheers
Tracey Morait
Children's author
http://traceymoraitnovels.blogspot.com

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2011 20:16:43 BDT
I'm a school librarian with a novels published in hardback and paperback, and eight plays produced. I've recently uploaded two books your daughter would love, both with strong female characters. Bugtown and In the Land of the Demon Masters. I got kids at my school to read these books (didn't say I wrote them and got a fabulous response. John McKenzie. P.s. If you'll review them, I'll send you them for nothing as word documents if you email me. Email from johnmckenzie.blogspot.com

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2011 20:19:33 BDT
I'm a school librarian with a novels published in hardback and paperback, and eight plays produced. I've recently uploaded two books your daughter would love, both with strong female characters. Bugtown and In the Land of the Demon Masters. I got kids at my school to read these books (didn't say I wrote them and got a fabulous response. John McKenzie. P.s. If you'll review them, I'll send you them for nothing as word documents if you email me. Email from johnmckenzie.blogspot.com
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  74
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  10 May 2011
Latest post:  21 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions