Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Foreign authors?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Dec 2012 23:05:54 GMT
Would like recommendations for a 12-year-old girl who has passed through Potter, Funke and Pullman and nows read George R. R. Martin. Exploring Vampire stuff, but I would appreciate good recommendations of something different, particularly series, as she read so much! Thanks.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 18:46:58 GMT
broxi3781 says:
I loved Charlie Higson's The Enemy series - it is classed as zombie book but there is a lot more to it. All the adults are stricken down by a plague that kills them or turns them into mindless flesh eating monsters. The children then have the task of rebuilding the world.

The Hunger Games are also extremely popular with this age group, as is the Gone series.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 23:50:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2012 00:19:34 GMT
Hazel says:
Although it is for her age group, I'm not sure if she'll like it (as she is reading G.R.R. Martin), still it is different:
Warriors Box Set: Volumes 1 to 6
Don't be fooled by the fact that this series is about cats. All human emotions are there, combined with exciting adventures (imo it's in the league of Watership Down)

And there are so many great fantasy books (without vampires too).
If she's interested in some dystopian stories, I recommend:
The Avatars trilogy by Tui Sutherland, starting with Avatars 01 So This is How it E (Avatars (Hardcover))So This Is How It Ends
The Tomorrow Girls series (4 books), starting with Behind the Gates (Tomorrow Girls)

My niece is a great fan of The Spook's Apprentice series. The Spook's Apprentice: Book 1 (The Wardstone Chronicles)

For some exciting supernatural novels, you could check out L.J. Smith. She's famous for The Vampire Diaries, but I prefer her other (non-vampire) trilogies like Dark Visions and The Secret Circle. Check out her website for a complete list: http://www.ljanesmith.net/author/booklist

If you are looking for foreign authors, you could try these:
Maite Carranza's trilogy about witches, starting with The War of the Witches: Bk. 1
Carlos Ruiz Zafron: The Prince Of Mist
Krystyna Kuhn's series The Valley, starting with The Game: The Valley: Book 01
Kerstin Gier's trilogy, starting with Girl About Time Book 1:Ruby Red
And I highly recommend Kai Meyer's trilogy: The Flowing Queen/The Stone Light/The Glass Word.

Good luck and happy reading!

P.S. Garth Nix has also written some great fantasy, especially his trilogy The Abhorsen Chronicles: Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen (Abhorsen Trilogy) and The Seventh Tower series The Fall (The Seventh Tower, Book 1)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  4 Dec 2012
Latest post:  13 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions