Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Help remembering a book read in childhood in '70's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Mar 2013 20:12:54 GMT
Plot involved a gang of children meeting at clubhouse and they hear a twig crack and catch glimpse of someone spying on them. Story then involved a chase with them glimpsing a red car? At the end they find it is an uncle who has laid a trail for them. This is all I can remember, thought it may be Secret Seven but doesn't seem to be, possibly another Blyton or Malcolm Saville who was my favourite author. Hope somebody can help, this has bugged me for ages.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2013 22:32:08 GMT
A clubhouse sounds like the Five Find Outers series from Enid Blyton. Can't remember them too clearly. Know one of the characters was called Fatty and he had a dog called Buster. There was a policeman and meetings in clubhouses - Fatty's garden shed, if I remember correctly. They were all "Mystery of ....." books. Just googled it for you
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/five-find-outers.php
Hope it helps!

Posted on 23 Mar 2013 11:41:43 GMT
Sounds like a mixture of these two: Secret Seven 4: Secret Seven On The Trail is about the forming of the group and using passwords and an adventure after someone appears at the window spying on them. Famous Five 15: Five On A Secret Trail is similar with the five camping close to an old cottage and people spying on them followed by an adventure, and Uncle Quentin explaining about their "find" at the end of the trail.

Posted on 25 Mar 2013 17:17:21 GMT
Thanks for the replies, it's not the secret seven or famous five, I will check the Five Find Outers but I don't think it's from that series either. Problem is, I read so many books as a child that I can't remember them all.

Posted on 25 Mar 2013 23:11:07 GMT
daydream says:
Possibly Knights of the Cardboard Castle by Elisabeth Beresford? It was the first thing that sprung to mind. Can't remember much of the plot although the clubhouse is a main feature. One of the covers features a red car.

Knights of the Cardboard Castle

Posted on 29 Mar 2013 16:44:03 GMT
Thanks for the suggestion, have looked the plot of this up and it's not the book I was thinking of, although I did like Elisabeth Beresford's books as a child.

Posted on 30 Mar 2013 16:43:57 GMT
Elvisfan says:
Book was called My Baby Brother
had lovely soft illustrations - can't remember who wrote this or illustrator - I bought this paperback book around 1975/6 but it has been lost over the years
Can anyone help me to get a replacement please
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  19 Mar 2013
Latest post:  30 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions